Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 30, 2014, 01:07:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You can zoom in to make the text larger and easier to read.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ack! Blew my wheel bearing en route to Choo-Choo  (Read 6710 times)
eagle19952

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2011, 11:51:56 AM »

The guys working the phones and counter here have been VERY helpful, Motion will move parts between stores and can check inventory in every store,

3877 NORTH PALAFOX STREET
PENSACOLA, FL 32505
Phone: (850) 433-0021
Fax: (850) 432-8092
mike.mclamb@motion-ind.com

Directions:
To Here - From Here

I would start here:
Motion Industries Inc
3740 Powers Ct # 400
Chattanooga, TN 37416-3671
(423) 490-0852 ‎

Then here:
Dalton Bearing Services‎
601 South Glenwood Avenue
Dalton, GA 30721
(706) 278-2804

justin25taylor

1974 05 Eagle and 1986 10 Eagle

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2011, 07:50:01 AM »

Sean
I found a couple of bearings and seals I got from Neopart a couple years ago. I sent you an email with both the Neo# and the SKF#.
I am thinking these are for drive axle but cannot remember. They were for a Megaliner or George's Cityliner or whatever it was he had. If you need em' they are yours.
Justin
white-eagle

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2011, 05:14:45 PM »

and the results  of all these efforts were?

did u get to enjoy the rally, did u make it there, did Joel get the bearings checked/fixed?  Did you have to get them from europe?

so what happened?  Wink

Tom
1991 Eagle 15 and proud of it.
8V92T, 740, Fulltime working on the road.

Fran was called to a higher duty 12/16/13. I lost my life navigator.
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2011, 11:05:46 PM »

and the results  of all these efforts were?

did u get to enjoy the rally, did u make it there, did Joel get the bearings checked/fixed?  Did you have to get them from europe?

so what happened?  Wink

Tom -

Sean did make it to the rally - he parked next to Technomadia (Chris & Cherie) - there's a photo of his coach in the rally photos thread.

I suspect since the rally's wound down, Choo Choo's busy trying to solve the problem. . .

Like you, I'm waiting to read more about this latest saga from BusNut Extraordinaire too!

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
Sean
Geek.

'85 Neoplan Spaceliner "Odyssey"

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2011, 12:14:59 PM »

Sorry for the delay, folks.  I have been super busy since Atlanta and have not had enough free time to post.

Most of the rest of the saga is detailed in my latest blog post, along with a brief report from the rally, here:
http://ourodyssey.blogspot.com/2011/10/waiting-to-get-my-bearings-in.html

As I suspected, and notwithstanding several comments here to the contrary, the bearings are not available in North America.  They do not cross to anything domestic.  More than one bearing house told me they could get the direct replacements, but they would have to come from overseas.  As a product importation, they would be subject to duty and likely a three or four day delay in US customs.  One supplier said a $40 bearing could easily become a $400 bearing that way.

On top of that, the outer bearing was a Japanese item from Koyo, and it is so old that Koyo no longer has it in their computer nor do they have a spec sheet.  Presumably Mercedes switched suppliers at some point, and I will be interested in seeing if the replacement item is a FAG, who made the inner bearing.

I ended up ordering two bearing sets and four seals from my supplier in the UK.  He should have them tomorrow and will overnight them to me on DHL.  Unless they get hung up in customs I should have them Friday.  The bearing sets were around $600 for the pair and the seals are another $50 or so, before shipping.  I am guessing another $200 for shipping making the parts alone just shy of a "bus unit."  I'm going to have Joel repack the other three, and if he finds a marginal one we will have a replacement on hand.  In either case I will end up with a serviceable spare.

Thanks for all the help.  I'll be posting the progress pictures on the blog once we have the parts.

-Sean
http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com

Full-timing in a 1985 Neoplan Spaceliner since 2004.
Our blog: http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2011, 01:03:33 PM »

You may have answered this in the past but I couldn't find it.

With all that you have been through with Odyssey, do you have any regrets over your choice of bus, and would you do it again?  Just curious if the end product is worth it to you.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
oldmansax
Tom & Phyllis

'82 Bluebird Wanderlodge PT40

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2011, 05:08:10 PM »

You may have answered this in the past but I couldn't find it.

With all that you have been through with Odyssey, do you have any regrets over your choice of bus, and would you do it again?  Just curious if the end product is worth it to you.

I have the same question.....

TOM

'82 BlueBird WanderLodge PT40 being rebuilt
Delaware

DON'T STEAL! The government hates competition!
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: