Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 01, 2014, 07:21:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not turn yellow, get musty, dusty, and mildewed or fade.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AIR BRAKE CHAMBER KNOWLEDGE  (Read 2997 times)
wayne
1990 Setra 215 HDH

www.mybusgarage.com

Ignore
« on: October 18, 2011, 10:07:30 AM »

Does anyone have extreme knowledge of air brake systems from Bendix or MGM? I have a 1990 Setra 215. I matched up the tag axle brake chambers but the drive axle has a spring chamber with a crossover tube. Not sure what the tube is for, maybe a vent. The chamber is aluminum with Bendix & MGM cast in it. It looks like a type30/30. I talked with bendix and was told they never did anything with MGM. I talked with MGM and was told they never did anything with Bendix. After I sent a picture they said maybe they did but there is no info on it and it must be obselete. 

belfert

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2011, 10:47:59 AM »

Can't the service brake side be replaced separate from the spring brake side?  What are the chances someone replaced one side with a different brand name?

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 11:29:57 AM »

Can you post the picture you took?  Where does the cross-over tube start and finish?

Brian
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 12:06:07 PM by bevans6 » Logged

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 12:04:37 PM »

Could be somebody replaced the chambers on a Bendix housing both the Haldex and MGM will work on a Bendix housing

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
Joe Camper

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2011, 12:38:38 PM »

I know what your talking about. You are referring to a crossover from the emergency chamber to the service chamber on the same maxi I think. Right Huh

Those 2 small holes that the tube connects are vent holes on the backside of  the diaphragms so that positive pressure is not created when the diaphragm is pressurized.

Not all maxis have this crossover because it is not really necessary. It is an afterthought in an attempt to keep out dirt and grime and limit corrosion.

Signing off from Cook County Ill. where the dead vote, frequently.
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2011, 12:44:21 PM »

There was a long conversation recently about Maxi chambers, how expensive they are and how they can be replaced with normal spring brake chambers.  If that's what this turns out to be.

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
wayne
1990 Setra 215 HDH

www.mybusgarage.com

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2011, 12:48:35 PM »

The words "BENDIX" AND "MGM" are cast on the same housing. I think Joe is right about it being just a vent tube, so does that mean I can replace it with a type 30/30.

Joe Camper

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2011, 12:51:16 PM »

I can get 30/30s for 45 bucks a piece. prevo uses 16/24s on the tag those are pricey even more than 30/36s that are 175 a piece and you see on many bus drive axles.

Ususally I see folks with older stuff upgrading to maxis not the other way around.

Joe Camper

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2011, 12:59:36 PM »

1 question is there a tag axle and if so are there maxis on that axle too?

If so 30/30s are good. If however you have a 3 axle bus with only 1 axle with maxis you should use the 30/36.

I can tell you from personal experience owning a bus with only 1 axle with maxis (parking brakes) I have encountered this.

.... if you are not right on top of the brake adjustments you will know it because when they get out of adjustment a bit too much and you are on unlevel pavement the buss will still roll after the parking brake is set. And that's with 30/36s so you can assume the situation would be even worse with the 30/30s.

wayne
1990 Setra 215 HDH

www.mybusgarage.com

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2011, 02:02:00 PM »

I'm getting a little confused, I thought 30/30's were a maxi. I better read up a little more before I continue.

prevosman

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2011, 02:37:25 PM »

Does anyone have extreme knowledge of air brake systems from Bendix or MGM? I have a 1990 Setra 215. I matched up the tag axle brake chambers but the drive axle has a spring chamber with a crossover tube. Not sure what the tube is for, maybe a vent. The chamber is aluminum with Bendix & MGM cast in it. It looks like a type30/30. I talked with bendix and was told they never did anything with MGM. I talked with MGM and was told they never did anything with Bendix. After I sent a picture they said maybe they did but there is no info on it and it must be obselete. 

The crossover tube is not important because it does not impact how the brake chamber functions. I think you are describing a spring brake parking or emergency brake coupled with a service brake. Let's presume it is a 30/30 which is common. If you get one with the same stroke you should be good to go.

I cannot explain why you see Bendix and MGM cast on the unit. Just take your old one to your local purveyor of brake chambers and they likely can sell you a new one, matching the stroke you have. 30/30 mis not an oddball. If you had an oddball such as the 16/24 mentioned previously it might have been built from a piggyback which might have used the spring brake section from one manufacturer, and the service brake section from another.

Jon Wehrenberg
Knoxville TN
1997 Prevost Liberty
Joe Camper

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2011, 05:05:44 PM »

Sorry to confuse you. Yes 30/30 are maxis.

thunderstruck

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2011, 05:17:09 PM »

30/30's are the most common and should run about $100 each. probably the reason you see two brand names is the outter parking brake chambers were replaced at some point. I just replaced two 30/36's and they cost me $130 each...

PREVOST H3-45 Featherlite Vantare
Ft.Lauderdale, Florida.
Joe Camper

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2011, 03:18:47 AM »

Where did you get 30/36s for 130 bucks that is a good price on those Huh

Or possibly that was for a "piggyback" and not the entire thing.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 03:23:12 AM by Joe Camper » Logged

buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2011, 05:32:23 AM »

Hello Wayne.

The discussion so far is pretty good.

Sounds like you may go shopping for a relatively inexpensive replacement.

Do be sure that you have no space issues with the shape of your current chamber and the replacement. Some coaches (besides the MCI and DD3) have clearance issues, and chose the particular, and often rare, chamber to solve a packaging problem.

Joe Camper's suggestion to upgrade to a bigger parking portion if you only have spring brakes on the drive is worthy of consideration. The newer coaches are coming from the factory with a lot more parking/emergency braking strength than your 1990 has.

And, if space permits, consider an upgrade to long stroke chambers. That will give a busnut more stroke to defend against the loose brake adjustment creep as described above by Joe Camper.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: