Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 01, 2014, 03:15:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You will not have to go out in the rain, sleet, hail, or snow to retrieve it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tile question  (Read 1047 times)
thejumpsuitman

'79/'97 Eagle 05

Ignore
« on: October 18, 2011, 08:06:44 PM »

I am re-doing the entry of the bus with tile and have an issue and was wondering if any of you have had to deal with something like this...

I would like to tile the very first step but the door closes about 1 inch inside the doorway and closes snug over the top of the the outermost edge of the step.  It is a tight fit and not much more than the thickness of the step itself can fit under the inside of the door as it closes.  The width of the plywood step is 3/4".

The problem is that the first step is vulnerable to water damage as the old plywood was rotten to the point of crumbling in my hands. I replaced it with the same width but I would like to tile right to the edge of the door and make the step waterproof.  Like I said, the thickness of the step is the problem.  The only way I can put tile on that first step as it is would be to begin about an inch or so inside the edge which would leave a weird unfinished portion of plywood.

The bus had 3/8" wood flooring on the steps before and they simply skipped the first step... now I know why.  The first step was just painted black and like I said, it  was completely rotted.

The only other option I can think of would be to use 3/8" plywood and 1/4" backer board on that step, making it 5/8" thick before the tile is laid.  The steel supports run across the front and the back of the first step just 9 or 10 inches apart, so it seems to be very rigid. Do you suppose it would be okay to do this?...  Or am I asking for trouble?

Other ideas would also be welcome.  Thanks.

Marc

« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 08:14:40 PM by thejumpsuitman » Logged

"Life is like a game of Pool... No matter how bad it looks, you take your shot."
Eagle Andy
Cowboy Coach

1968 Silver Eagle # 7481

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2011, 08:29:56 PM »

Marc I'm just throwin this out there, not much of a finish man myself. could you set back the tile enough to put a nice finished peice there to where it just rides the edge of the door. ?

1968 Model 05 Eagle # 7481 Miles City MT
thejumpsuitman

'79/'97 Eagle 05

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 08:37:03 PM »

Marc I'm just throwin this out there, not much of a finish man myself. could you set back the tile enough to put a nice finished peice there to where it just rides the edge of the door. ?

Andy I like that idea just fine, but what on earth would I use that won't add bulk?  I actually tried to glue some rubber stair step covers around the edge of the step but even that kept the door from closing, so I had to peel it off and re-think it.  It wound up looking kind of sloppy anyway.

I suppose I might be able to shave the edge of the step to allow for something, but I'm not sure what it would be...  Is your door like that?

"Life is like a game of Pool... No matter how bad it looks, you take your shot."
rgrauto

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 08:58:20 PM »

Mark just a thought , Hardi  Board, concrete impregnated fiber board,siding. Water proof and different patterns and maybe only 3/8 in. thick may be a good base for tile.  HTH, Glen
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, 05:17:58 AM »

1/4 inch steel plate in place of plywood.  stronger and won't rott/paint and won't rust away in our life time. I put granite tile over mine 6yrs ago still good.   Bob

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
Eagle Andy
Cowboy Coach

1968 Silver Eagle # 7481

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2011, 05:49:39 AM »

Marc my steps are square and my door has a light curve in it. so i do not have that problem. My problem is the seal i had to custom make a seal to fill the gap.

1968 Model 05 Eagle # 7481 Miles City MT
Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2011, 06:01:17 AM »

Maybe a small piece of Diamond Plate to fill in the gap? Might have to figure out a way to angle it to compensate for the height difference between the tile and the edge of the door.

1968 MCI 5A with 8V71 and Allison MT644 transmission.  Western USA
thejumpsuitman

'79/'97 Eagle 05

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2011, 07:17:02 AM »

1/4 inch steel plate in place of plywood.  stronger and won't rott/paint and won't rust away in our life time. I put granite tile over mine 6yrs ago still good.   Bob

Bob, did you put backer board over the steel plate first or tile right over the steel?

robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2011, 07:25:45 AM »

depends on clearance. My granite was thick. I uses 1/4 inch Luann.  should be no moisture problem with out traffic seen in commercial operation tracking water in.

thejumpsuitman

'79/'97 Eagle 05

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2011, 07:38:11 AM »

depends on clearance. My granite was thick. I uses 1/4 inch Luann.  should be no moisture problem with out traffic seen in commercial operation tracking water in.

Just so I understand, you used steel plate covered with luann then put the granite directly over the luann? 

I have some steel plate on hand.  Do you see any problem with using 1/4" hardiboard directly over the steel plate?  1/4" steel + 1/4" hardiboard + 1/4" tile would perfectly match the original thickness at 3/4".

robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2011, 07:42:56 AM »

Great! used ge silicon under steel to seal out moisture from outside.

trucktramp

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2011, 09:39:50 AM »

Bob, did you use the silicone to attach the steel plate to the existing steps or did you use something else.  I am planning on tiling my entrance too.

Dennis Watson
KB8KNP
Scotts, Michigan
1966 MCI MC5A
8V71
Spicer 4 Speed Manual
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2011, 10:08:56 AM »

tore plywood out -put silicon down around edge .screwed steel down then went ahead.  1/4 inch steel was stiffer than  plywood.    Actually started out with brass edge to protect tile and used brass instead of grout for accent to separate tile. Just my way.   Bob
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 10:24:46 AM by robertglines1 » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: