Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 23, 2014, 11:29:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 500 Members as of May 5th, 2006.  Smiley  3,499 Members as of October 21, 2012 Cheesy

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bob's Take on Choo-Choo Rally  (Read 2953 times)
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« on: October 19, 2011, 07:22:29 AM »

Participation: those there were true to the hobby. about 40 on site and another 10 plus who drove in for one or more days. So say  50 plus and many what's going one here sight seeing people.  Mike had 107 verbal commitments and based his program on that.    Eagle guys were well represented with their president from Colorado Rusty in attendance. along with coaches from  Ms, Pn, Sc,Ks And I know I missed some one. Several Prevost and Gm's along with Mci Scoolies and Neoplans. If I missed one please add.  Adventures/mechanical: mine  o ring on power steering pump. dirty fix but easy.  Phil  tire ac /cover and elect fuel pump. and Sean unknown time fix. And one preventive fan belt replacement on a Eagle.  Food.Good and plenty of it.(those Eagle guys get up at crack of dawn). Music. Good only problem was too cold to enjoy. Quality good. Maybe less of a good thing and earlier in evening (Warmer next time)  also was to worn out from days activities. Bond Fire!! Good quality on seminars small groups and good one on one question answer sessions. Hard headed ken even road his bike down for the engine swap seminar.     Coach tours:: this is the best learning experience.I got several new how to ideas for our new build. Also had the pride of showing off some of our hard work.  Learned far more than I gave.        Lasting Friendships: You  develop the one on one personal connection you cannot achieve on the internet. The firm hand shake! The honest look in ones eyes. And when they say till we see you again you know they mean it.And look forward to it!!!.  So: would I be there next year? Sigh up now/where--yes.  Did I come away better for the experience ?  YES  was it to pricey? No.  Try paying $1000 for a prevo weekend.  4 night camping food and seminars plus entertainment....Observation on parking: we could have cuddled up a bit and got more people level or made the center  unlevel area the show area/tent meeting area&maybe entertainment.   Conclusion:Great rally!! doesn't really need to be bigger /facility could support twice as many.   Bob                             Personal note: for those that knew of my Back procedure yesterday. All is good !Back to bus building in couple days.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 07:34:05 AM by robertglines1 » Logged

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 09:10:01 AM »

Would like this to be open discussion. Mainly from those attending> also from those who did not.  This is at the heart of the hobby/busnut experience. Many of those attending new little it anything about board and those that did few participated in discussions. That's fine also but we all have some life experience to share.  Enough of me..

belfert

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 11:20:02 AM »

I choose to go to the Arcadia rally back in December/Jan instead of this one.  Of course, I didn't even know about this one back when I made the arrangements to go to Arcadia.

I go to bus rallies to learn more about buses and talk to people about buses.  I don't go to listen to music or take tours of local tourist attractions.  Square dancers get together and they square dance.  Rocketeers get together and launch rockets.  I'm not a very social person and don't enjoy getting together just to socialize with folks I don't know.

I might go next year if the rally is held again, but finances and vacation time will be a big issue.  I am planning to go to the Bendix Air Brake school in June in Chicago and that will be a week's vacation plus a chunk of money there.  (Unfortunately, they don't bring the air brake school to Minneapolis.)

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 11:29:51 AM »

Good input!! teach class on brakes at future rally-may even help offset expense.  Bob

rv_safetyman

Jim Shepherd

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, 04:50:54 PM »

Bob, good summary. 

I heard one comment that too much was spent on the entertainment.  I have some insight on the cost and Dale got the job done for very few pennies on the dollar. 

It was sad that more folks did not attend the entertainment (very small crowd), but it was cold, a long distance from the buses and many folks wanted to go back and talk buses.

As Bob said, the food was great and plentiful. 

What many folks do not appreciate is how hard Mike worked on this rally.  Basically the whole rally was planned and implemented by one person (with the exception of the entertainment - big thanks to Dale Houston).  He put his heart and sole into trying to make it a great rally.  He learned a lot about what works and what does not.  He would like to put it on again next year, but they lost quite a bit of money on this rally and have to weigh how to get the job done and at least break even.

One "issue" with the rally was lack of volunteers.  It is very hard for Mike to ask for help.  We came in several days early and helped all that we could, but we could have used some more help during the rally.

Like Bob, we would plan to attend if they hold one next year.  We got to meet a bunch of new folks and see new buses.  Ton of fun.

Jim

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Somewhere between a tin tent and a finished product
Bus Project details: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog:  http://rvsafetyman.blogspot.com/
rusty

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2011, 04:58:59 PM »

We go to rallies to renew friendships we have made over the years, and to make new friends. I also love to talk buses and learn new things about buses. I learn a lot on the boards but I am not at all good with the written word and it is easier to talk face to face. We also love to travel the country to see more of our beautiful country and the rallies are a good excuse to get in the bus and go.

Wayne
rcbeam

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2011, 05:45:22 PM »

Bob:  enjoyed reading your comments on the rally.  I REALLY hope I will be able to attend if they have it again next year.  As also mentioned in the post, I too do not take easily to social settings with people that I don't know, but since we ALL are busnuts first, that gives us common ground to make it easier to talk to someone.  I guess I could walk up to someone and say "hey... great looking bus" and see where that goes.  With the mention of the coldness, could having it in Sept instead of Oct be better?  However, since I am from Chattanooga originally, I know that some years the weather is just all over the scale from one year to the next.  The November that I buried my father there, we had to run the a/c and were in short sleeves outside... so go figure.

Russell
1976 MC8
Lexington KY
www.sweeteveningbreeze.blogspot.com
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2011, 05:50:45 PM »

There are no strangers at a rally. only Bus nuts  really the finest coach to the bare shell are all there for fellowship.

JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2011, 05:38:15 AM »

It was sad that more folks did not attend the entertainment (very small crowd), but it was cold, a long distance from the buses and many folks wanted to go back and talk buses.

After doing our Bussin' rally for 11 years, we found that no matter what type of entertainment we booked, we rarely had even 50% attend.  When we reviewed the rally feedback forms it was almost a wash, half wanted more/better entertainment and half wanted less/no entertainment.  Enterainment was always the most stressful part of organizing our rallies.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
bigjohnkub
pd4903-188 and now pd4107

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2011, 06:30:41 AM »

Each year we go to Terlingua for the International Chili Cookoff. Its the first week in November if anyone's interested. But, back to the point. It amazes me the number of people who come an do nothing. It takes many people to put on an event . If you care to make it a success, you must volunteer to help.

If you need help, ask for voulenteers. In the bus rallys, as well as chili cookoff's you need parking , trash detail, trips to town, sales at the concessions, ect. If you ask you will get volunteers. We have excess of ten thousand people each year and it is ran by 7 board members, and Numerous VOLUNTEERS.

Come out if you can.
Big John

Big John  Tyler Tx PD 4903-188 & 4107
871 dd, 4 spd Fuller.
LOVE MY BUS!!!!
RnMAdventures

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2011, 08:05:24 AM »

We hope to attend at least one rally next year. We have 4 kids at home and two in school and two in diapers. The rallys during the school year would be tough, but we might be able to. It would be fun to meet all of you and talk buses.

Mike & Rosemarie
1964 PD4106-2626
DD8v71 & Allison v730
blank

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2011, 06:02:44 PM »

What is the average cost to get into a Bus rally?
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2011, 06:07:32 PM »

This was 145 for two for  3 nites and  fri greet Ice cream  sat sun &monday donuts coffe etc   sat sun lunch and sat and sunday full dinner plus entertainment... Included water &electric With dump station. for 3 nites. 

luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2011, 06:29:37 PM »

Paul, nothing fancy but the combined Eagle and GM rally is less than 40 bucks with dry camping the power pole people some stay in a park and come out Sat for dinner and entertainment you will see just about any bus there that was made in the last 50 years there is always a Mack bus there worth the money just to see that piece of history lol

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
blank

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2011, 11:34:10 PM »

I was just askin cuz Bob scared me with that $1000 comment. Boy, those Prevo guys are some proud dudes, lol.

I dont know where things will be next year, but if its at all possible id like to get her out and run her sometime soon, at least come spring. Really should run out to NC and see my Aunt and Uncle.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: