Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 28, 2014, 09:03:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You will not incur forwarding fees when you are on the road.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 4905 Munched Rear End  (Read 1213 times)
Rick Brown

Ignore
« on: October 14, 2006, 09:25:15 AM »

While traveling only an $880 tow job from home my 4905 digested its differential.  The pinion gear looks like the cone from the tree of the same name and the ring gear - oh well.  US Coach found the part I needed when I thought that was only the propeller shaft companion flange.  Today I now I realize that it's a whole lot more that I need.  I also need someplace where I can take the axle assembly and have it repaired by somebody who knows what they are doing.  What resources can you recommend for me?
Thanks for your comments.
-Rick Brown in Reno, NV
kingfa39

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2006, 09:58:18 AM »

cant help with a recomendation, but i would be selective, i got ripped off big time by a guy in VA that installed the wrong rear end in my 06, then supose to rebuild the old one and destroyed it, had to hire anothe guy to fix it, real mess. be very careful.  and let us know how you come out
Frank Allen
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2006, 11:44:44 AM »

Rick,

Sorry about your situation!

Just curious as to the cause of the tear up!

They didn't disconnect the drive shaft?

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2006, 02:48:15 PM »

Rick, was your 4905 towed?

If so, what was the problem that required the tow? If it wasn't diferential related, it might be the towing service insurance's responsibility to repair your axle. The towing service is professional & as such responsible for their actions.

So let the towing service worry about who can fix it.
Just a thought.

Good luck getting back on the road.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2006, 02:49:52 PM by kyle4501 » Logged

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
Rick Brown

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2006, 04:42:40 PM »

This wasn't a tow operator fault, it was my own.  I had been trying to diagnose an 'engine' roughness that was really the rear end crying to me.
So soon old, so late smart.
-Rick
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2006, 05:37:06 PM »

Darn, you gotta hate those lessons!  Sad  Cry

I wish I could offer some real advice here.

Good luck!

kyle4501

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2006, 07:01:32 PM »

Rick,

I really hate when its my fault! Tongue

Best of luck getting her back on the road.

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
pvcces

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2006, 07:25:42 PM »

Rick, cleaning up the old rear end housing can be quite a chore to do right. It's no problem if you're replacing it, too. If not, be sure to make a healthy allowance for this job.

For what it's worth.

Tom Caffrey
Suncatcher
Ketchikan, Alaska

Tom Caffrey PD4106-2576
Suncatcher
Ketchikan, Alaska
Linda-4104-FL

Night Coach

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2006, 08:28:21 PM »

Rick, sorry to hear of your problem.  If you are seeking a new rear end, I know of two guys who each have a 4905 differential, or at least they did when last I spoke to them.  If you are interested in talking to them, I can provide contact information.  One of them is in Georgia, and the other is in Florida.  One has a pumpkin only (center section) and the other has the entire assembly (complete with axle, wheels, etc.) that was cut out of a 4905 with a torch.

Kirby
1959 PD-4104
CraigC

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2006, 08:45:03 AM »

You might try Dreamliner in Perris, CA. I bought a 4905 third member from him several years ago.
Craig C

Craig C
4104 8V71TA/V730
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: