Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 01, 2014, 04:48:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This BB is intended for the sole purpose of sharing conversion and bus related information among visitors to our web site. These rules must be followed in order for us to continue this free exchange of info. No bad mouthing of any business or individual is permitted. Absolutely no items for sale are to be posted, except in the Spare Tire board. Interested in placing a classified or web ad, please contact our advertising dept. at 714-903-1784 or e-mail to: info@busconversions.com.

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Short term freeze preparations?  (Read 792 times)
CountingFireflies

Ignore
« on: October 29, 2011, 03:18:10 PM »

Howdy -

We are back in the states, and stopped over in vermont to wait for the parts for our aquahot to come in.  The bus has been without heat for the last 5 days, and it's been bitterly cold in quebec and VT.   So anyway, we're in Vermont, and there's a winter storm warning in effect and it's currently snowing. The temp is going to drop down to the mid 20's tonight and tomorrow.  I'm worried about the plumbing in the bays.  Normally the aquahot keeps all the bays above freezing.  So here's the question?

1)  Should I try and drain as much of the water out as possible and drain the fresh tank?
2)  Leave it be?
3)  other suggestions? 

Mind you I'm in the middle of rural Vermont, so I can't get my hands on any anti-freeze.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Chris.

From the road...
Chris
'89 MCI 102c3 8v92t
2008 Jeep JK Rubicon toad
Chauffeur for www.countingfireflies.com
Tweeting: countnfireflies
KJ4YQB - General operator
Seayfam

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2011, 03:58:04 PM »

I would drain as much as you can, then open all the faucets and valves and put some air to it.
Blow the air untill you stop getting moisture and water. Then Dump a little RV antifreeze into all your drains. But if you can't get ahold of that, I would try using a plunger to get any water pushed through your traps.

Good luck,
I hope you don't freeze and break anything!
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 04:02:21 PM by Seayfam » Logged

Gary Seay (location Alaska)
1969 MCI MC-6 unit# 20006
8V92 turbo 740 auto
more pics and information here     "  www.my69mci-6.blogspot.com  "
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2011, 05:12:40 PM »

Mid 20s isn't that cold where I come from.  I don't know what your long range forecast is or what your intentions are but if its forecast to warm up and you plan to use the bus I wouldn't bother winterizing.  Depending on your plumbing layout one cube heater in the bay might be adequate to keep everything from freezing.  Any heat that you apply in the bays will migrate up so you'll still need heat on in the coach but just not as much.  If you're really worried about it, as others have said, put a blast of air to it to get some/most of the water out and then leave the heat on. 

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2011, 07:57:40 PM »

Yeah, what Bob said.  Put an electric heater in the bay. Plug it in.

Add another one or two upstairs if you need to keep warm, too.

Enjoy the falling snow.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2011, 07:55:54 AM »

Your keeping living quarters warm correct? staying in bus.  Shouldn't be a problem mid 20's for 6 hrs or so them back above freezing.   Something a simple as a 100 watt light bulb in a bay will add 6 degree of heat when in mid 20's.some heat should be getting to bays thru floors.    Bob

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
HB of CJ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2011, 02:08:44 PM »

FWIW I was concerned about plumbing freezing when the indoor/outdoor temp was +15F soss I got up out of bed a couple of times dressed just in my underware and took my trusty lazer temp gage OUTSIDE and measured all the pipes and stuff next to the engine and none of it was below +30F.  Seems the hot engine and coolant (122 quarts) kept everything very nice and warm.  HB of CJ (old...and cold in his shorts) Smiley
gus

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2011, 02:14:23 PM »

Remove all the spray heads from kitchen and toilet spray hoses, those things crack before anything else. Also, your toilet valve will crack unless drained or kept warm.

If you keep the tank bay, bathroom and kitchen warm and have flexible water lines you probably won't have any problem.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
Jriddle

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2011, 02:59:18 PM »

I would do as other have said except the water bay may only need a light bulb burning. I have kept the engine on our plane warm for several winters before we installed a engine preheat system. Keep some heat inside bus and you should be fine for short term protection. Wind will be your biggest enemy.

My Way

John
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 03:00:58 PM by Jriddle » Logged

If It Can't Be Grown Then It Has To Be Mined
John Riddle
Wells NV
1984 MC9
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: