Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 16, 2014, 08:37:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not be stolen by your mailman or your neighbor who also may be into buses.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Roof Air or Cruise Airs  (Read 4034 times)
H3-45

Entertainer Coach Driver Since 1986

Ignore
« on: October 29, 2011, 10:03:45 AM »

Hello,

If building a new conversion which do you prefer, Roof Airs or Cruise Airs. I know they both have there good and bad points,Tell me your opinions.

Thank You

Robert
Prevost H3-45 Nut
Crossville, TN
prevosman

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2011, 10:15:19 AM »

The differences are substantial and the choice depends on how you use them.

Cruise airs are expensive but quite robust. They are not throw away units. They require a good flow of cool air and if the flow of air to the condenser is compromised either by restrictions or because of very hot air radiating off a highway they are not going to function when you need them the most.

But for cooling when parked, drawing air from the shaded area beneath the coach in a campground they are excellent, quiet and reliable. If I did not have over the road air I would be reluctant to use Cruise Airs.

Roof airs are inexpensive and work better than Cruise Airs for cooling when the coach is in motion. They are not picking up hot air off the highway, but have plenty of air flow at ambient temperature. The downside is they can be noisy to the point where they interfere with conversation. But you can get a new one cheap almost anywhere and if they do have a problem that can be serviced there are techs in RV dealerships that know them.

That's my story and I am sticking to it.

Jon Wehrenberg
Knoxville TN
1997 Prevost Liberty
H3-45

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2011, 10:24:10 AM »

Jon,

Thanks for the reply, The conversion shop I am thinking about using wants to put 2 of each on . I lean toward Roof Airs As they are easy to replace if need be, and can be ducted thru out the coach. I had a eagle 20 years ago that had cruise airs and didn't really care for them,they took up bay space and most of the time the return air is not large enough for them to work right. I definitely dont want to mix them on the coach. One or the other,I just am not sure of which one.

Thank you,

Robert

Robert
Prevost H3-45 Nut
Crossville, TN
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2011, 10:47:47 AM »

I had Cruisair for 20 years the converters were the reason they never worked right no ac will work when installed in engine compartment lol all 3 of mine were in the spare tire compartment on my Eagle never gave a me minutes problem in the 115 degree Az heat give them clean fresh air they work.

Today if building a bus I would do it over again roof airs take to much away from the lines of a bus and roof air don't care much for tree limbs lol 

We have the Penguins on our motorhome to me they are quite but a old 2 speed Coleman will move more cold air on low than these things do high that  is my story and I am sticking too it

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
H3-45

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2011, 10:52:51 AM »

Wink

Robert
Prevost H3-45 Nut
Crossville, TN
H3-45

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2011, 10:56:51 AM »

Thanks for the reply,that is what I am looking for is everyones experience with both systems.

Robert

Robert
Prevost H3-45 Nut
Crossville, TN
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2011, 11:00:42 AM »

As the regulars/ones that have been around awhile.   I'm using mini split on my new conversion. Not the first::: but they are very impressive in preformance.  Most converters are not familiar with them. Low power consumption. Inverter technology. I have them installed now.  Very impressed with both heat and cool in one unit.  Use search function at top to read some of discussion we have had and results.    Bob

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
H3-45

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2011, 11:06:36 AM »

Thanks for the reply Bob

Robert

Robert
Prevost H3-45 Nut
Crossville, TN
Joe Camper

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2011, 01:53:35 PM »

When we first got ours before we fixed the OTR A/C we had a terrible day coming up I-65 on a 95 degree day.

Cruise airs that will freeze you out parked in any temps shut down.

Might as well have blown the motor cause the result was the same we stopped and got out.

Signing off from Cook County Ill. where the dead vote, frequently.
H3-45

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2011, 02:06:34 PM »

Joe,

As a personnel preference, I am leaning toward roof airs,Liberty wants to put 2 roof airs and 2 cruise airs on there conversion but I don't want to mix them. Just from my past experience with cruise airs I want to try roof airs {I Think}

Robert

Robert
Prevost H3-45 Nut
Crossville, TN
Joe Camper

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2011, 02:18:21 PM »

Thats interesting never saw that in Liberty.

Vantare mixes. Did that for a long time too They run bedroom anf forward cruisair off inverter and use a large basement unit for midship.

Signing off from Cook County Ill. where the dead vote, frequently.
Zeroclearance

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2011, 04:00:35 PM »

Robert,  I would strongly look at the basement solutions.   Either with what Bob has done with his mini-splits or cruiseairs.   Another option would be the Coleman basement heatpumps.   

It's been mentioned that the high roofline even without roof air becomes a catch all for trees and such.   I am redoing my basement A/C.   For a brief second I was going to go with slim line roof mounted heat pumps.   I bought them but never installed them after hearing them in person.
H3-45

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2011, 04:39:06 PM »

I thought that is what the liberty salesman said,but after reading my spec. sheet it is 4 cruise airs or they will put 4 roof airs if I want. I guess the one that works the best is the one I am looking for. These will be going on a H3-45 which is tall already.

Robert

Robert
Prevost H3-45 Nut
Crossville, TN
Zeroclearance

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2011, 04:47:56 PM »

Robert, are you saying BEST as in money no object?  Basement A/C..   I'm thinking about adding a Sanyo 1 ton mini split heat pump with inverter.   I prefer the smooth roof line. 

In the end, do it with the way that you like.   
H3-45

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2011, 05:00:55 PM »

Zeroclearance,

Thanks for the Help,Thanks to the lotto I have quite a bit of help LOL,This is something I plan on keeping so I would like to do it right. The more I think about Cruise airs,Liberty has been using them forever and is used to them and if I use roof airs it will be custom built which can be good and bad. Sorry to ramble but I am confused as what to do. I had a older eagle with cruise airs and they did not work well,maybe they have improved in the last 15 years.

Robert

Robert
Prevost H3-45 Nut
Crossville, TN
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: