Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 29, 2014, 06:58:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It can be read on any computer, iPad, smart phone, or compatible device.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Roof Air or Cruise Airs  (Read 3941 times)
Joe Camper

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2011, 05:42:20 PM »

Ace you have commissioned Liberty to build you a coach, wow and holy moly.

I do not know what the numbers are for how many are line or spec coaches verses how many get commissioned but I bet the percentage is low.

I would guess that this purchase would more closely resemble the commission of a nice yacht than the purchase of a ,motorhome.

Congratulations on your accomplishments I hope you live many years to enjoy it.

Signing off from Cook County Ill. where the dead vote, frequently.
H3-45

Entertainer Coach Driver Since 1986

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2011, 05:52:38 PM »

Joecamper,

we are in the process of commiting to the build as you,already know it is a big job building one even when someone else is doing the work. I never thoght there would be so many questions. with getting the shell and the custom build I bet it will take a year to get. I just hope to live thru it so I can enjoy it.I plan on fulltiming it for quite a while so maybe we will meet omewhere.

Robert

Robert
Prevost H3-45 Nut
Crossville, TN
Zeroclearance

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2011, 05:58:27 PM »

Robert..   Wow, Congrats on walking in and dropping the cash to build a new one.   I am sure not going to tell you what to do with your monies, but have you considered all the "deals" out the on low mileage one-owner coaches?

You could go thru and replace the toilets and carpet, beds and get a FULL service on the running gear and still have a few hundred thousand in the bank account.

Prevost is charging 20K to update the H345 headlamps and breastplate to the new 2010 look.   
H3-45

Entertainer Coach Driver Since 1986

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2011, 06:05:13 PM »

Zeroclearance

Yes I have looked at all the websites and shopped several dealers and just want to build something that is just for me if you know what I mean or at least have something built for me and me only. Thank you for all the answers I have a million questions,my salesman is number 1 on my speed dial.

Robert

Robert
Prevost H3-45 Nut
Crossville, TN
blank

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2011, 07:15:05 PM »

I have been talking to some AC guys about what I want to do. I want to keep the OTR air, but will likely never need its 14 tons of cooling capacity. The condensor if fine, those can never really be too big, but the evaporator can be downsized. Its interesting to note the compressor can actually drop out banks of cylinders as load is reduced, but it is such a huge compressor it will likely be replaced.

The other side of it is the idea to tee in a 120 volt compressor, or possibly a 240 volt through a transformer, to cool when parked, all using the same original heating and cooling ventilation system.

One big hog is the condensor fan, a 2 HP 24 volt motor that draws over 40 amps. But it too is designed for removing the heat load of 14 tons of cooling, I could likely get by with a 1/2 to 1 HP 120 volt motor. Then there is the 1 1/2 HP 24 volt blower fan motor, which could be downsized simularly. Right now, with the ducts out, if I flip on the blower its like a tornado blowing in there, and LOUD!

The other idea would be to make it switch over into a heat pump.
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2011, 08:06:59 PM »

Hi Robert,

If you would like long term service and reliability, go with cruisairs and keep your OTR air system in your H3-45.

Liberty usually always has a good track record with their installs.

I dislike roof airs because of noise, short life span, always dripping water off the roof, and looks..

Good Luck with your conversion!
Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
Busgeek

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2011, 08:21:42 PM »

I've done many miles in an Eagle that had cruise air which never worked correctly.  It was great after it was changed to roof air.  I have a 4103 that has 3 roof air, which work fine.  A friend of mine got a 93 Prevost that came with 2 cruise air.  He added 2 roof air out of necessity to achieve decent cooling.   I would never use or advise cruise air.  Hope this helps.
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2011, 08:50:10 PM »

On my bus I have three Coleman 13.5 roof airs that have been 100% reliable.  Albeit-they only have a 2 spd fan and is noisier then I like-especially for night time sleeping.  But work great going down the road.

On my truck I'm doing a little bit of both.  I'm taking 15,000btu/hr roof top Penguins (15,000btu units are 13,500btu units with more powerful fans) and mounting them in the basement.  Penguins are the only roof top air that you can do this since the condenser fan is a squirrel cage blower that can be ducted (with modification).  I have yet to mount them, but have my 6" outlet and 8" return air through the floor already.  Will let you know how they work.  If my experiment with the Penguins don't work, might go with CruiseAirs-if they still make the air cooled condensers.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Mex-Busnut

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2011, 09:28:25 PM »

Good thread!

Mr. Bob sir: (Glines) I sent you a PM.

Dr. Steve, San Juan del Río, Querétaro, Mexico, North America, Planet Earth, Milky Way.
1981 Dina Olímpico (Flxible Flxliner clone), 6V92TA Detroit Diesel
Rockwell model RM135A 9-speed manual tranny.
Jake brakes
100 miles North West of Mexico City, Mexico. 6,800 feet altitude.
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2011, 06:09:13 AM »

I installed 2 roof airs and ducted them through the coach. Really worked well. The manufacturer has spec's for designing the ducts, you might want to look at if you are not an AC type.

Then I sat there and listened to them for years. They are not horrible loud, but you definitely know they are there. I had set up the ducts so when in the bedroom the front AC was cooling it, so that helped.

One day I am sitting there and it clicks, the light bulb comes on over my head and it's too late for me  Cry

If I would have thought of it I would have ducted the intake air! The fan motor and the compressor are right there behind the filter, might as well be in the coach. Same principal as quieting a genset.

Too soon old too late smart.                       JIm

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

TomC

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2011, 09:55:41 AM »

The main reason my roof tops are in the basement is my truck is at 13ft then goes to 13ft 6in.  No room on the roof. Hoping they too will be quiet since both the intake and supply are ducted.  Good Luck, TomC

jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2011, 02:37:43 PM »

Will the return duct be straight into the unit or have a turn or 2 in it?  JIm

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

TomC

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2011, 03:09:02 PM »

The 8" return will have a couple of turns in it.  Plus the 12"x12" filter grill will have one under the dinette and the other in the front at the base of the sofa end table.  Good Luck, TomC

RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2011, 04:23:34 PM »

Robert -

The BIGGEST problem I have read over the years with CruiseAires is insufficient air flow through the units and the associated ducting.

Like water in a pipe - the larger diameter the pipe, the more water it will flow.  Same with air flow thru an HVAC system.  Both IN and OUT.

When properly installed per the manufacturer's installation manual, they work really well.  If you don't follow DA BOOK, you're in trouble.

Lots of folk lately have gone to the mini-split systems.  No ducting issues, all you have to do is run freon lines to the evaporators.  Condensation is a concern, but not as big an obstacle as undersized air ducts.  Evaporators can be located wherever you want, "zoned" I think is the term used.  Condenser(s) and compressor(s) located downstairs, often in the old factory location. 

A suggestion:  Give the salesman five bucks and tell him to go get some coffee at Starbucks.  While he's doing that, talk to the Service Dept's manager.  Ask him what his experience has been between the CruiseAires and rooftop barnacles.  His viewpoint is going to be totally different than the guy selling the stuff, and probably worth a lot more than the cost of a Starbucks coffee.

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2011, 04:43:57 PM »

Quote from: RJ
A suggestion:  Give the salesman five bucks and tell him to go get some coffee at Starbucks.  While he's doing that, talk to the Service Dept's manager.  Ask him what his experience has been between the CruiseAires and rooftop barnacles.  His viewpoint is going to be totally different than the guy selling the stuff, and probably worth a lot more than the cost of a Starbucks coffee.

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

Wink

Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: