Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 18, 2014, 02:16:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New leadership at BCM  (Read 4728 times)
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2011, 10:13:11 AM »

I don't care one way or the other which direction the magazine goes but I will be the first to say I want my money back and they can do what ever with the magazine

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
Peter_Crowl

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2011, 11:00:56 AM »

I don't care one way or the other which direction the magazine goes but I will be the first to say I want my money back and they can do what ever with the magazine

good luck

It's hard to imagine there's any money to give back. I've been around publications that are spiraling into the ground. Whatever money comes in goes to print the next issue in eternal hope of turning it around. It becomes a sort of defacto Ponzi - with no nefarious intent. It's just that there usually is no money left in an account. Whatever there is  - whatever comes in from new subscriptions - goes to production/printing/postage. There is no escrow account for future fulfillment.

But that's just what I've seen.
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2011, 11:09:42 AM »

Have you made a formal request to get your money back?

I don't know about magazines specifically, but other industries are required to keep prepayments for future services in an separate escrow type account.  Each time a service is provided like publishing an issue of a magazine money is pulled out of the account.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
prevosman

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2011, 11:56:59 AM »

I don't know the number of folks interested in bus conversions or doing their own. But I do know the market is miniscule compared to a lot of other interest groups. FMCA has been struggling and their magazine has seen some serious defections from advertisers. The FMC magazine had many Prevost and Prevost converter ads and now there is not a single one.

My point is folks who used to read a magazine can now get all their information and more on the internet. My free advice is to change the business model and eliminate a printed magazine and create an on-line magazine with the articles and information to be shared created by the readership and advertisers. Use the forum as the gateway.

With all the ways possible to stay connected now it would not surprise me if instead of a magazine rack next to the toilet we instead had a table and power for a laptop.

Jon Wehrenberg
Knoxville TN
1997 Prevost Liberty
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2011, 11:59:19 AM »

I just did Brian post it here the paper work is not going to get lost lol

good luck

Peter_Crowl

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2011, 12:30:36 PM »

I don't know the number of folks interested in bus conversions or doing their own. But I do know the market is minuscule compared to a lot of other interest groups. FMCA has been struggling and their magazine has seen some serious defections from advertisers. The FMC magazine had many Prevost and Prevost converter ads and now there is not a single one.

My point is folks who used to read a magazine can now get all their information and more on the internet. My free advice is to change the business model and eliminate a printed magazine and create an on-line magazine with the articles and information to be shared created by the readership and advertisers. Use the forum as the gateway.

With all the ways possible to stay connected now it would not surprise me if instead of a magazine rack next to the toilet we instead had a table and power for a laptop.

I saw a fascinating program about Caterpillar - I think it was on CNBC. It talked about how they deal with down markets.
They have an ongoing crises/crash team who has up to date plans ready to roll out of the market takes a dump as it did in South America in the 80's.

The point is...the market has tanked. Doesn't matter what - buses - boats - RV's. So what's the plan? following the Cat example it would be to go to ground...focus on parts, upgrades, rehabbing existing conversions, taking affordable Class A's and doing makeovers . A publication should address all modes especially since the basic skills are the same. Take something that's not built to be a residence and add that which makes it habitable.

Do things that get people who aren't involved or are on the fringes thinking and doing. Show what can be done on a budget.  Later when (hopefully) things pick up those people move up the ladder.

Most information is available in forums such as this. But there's a market for articles, profiles, how-to's, case studies.
There was just a big meet in TN. Are the seminars available on DVD? Articles based on the seminars would be valuable for new kids like me. What we get here is raw data and advice from the core who participate. But if this is like most other avocations for every person who posts here there are many more who are interested but don't.
If a magazine is to be valuable -  be it online or in print- it has to aggregate that data - turning it into entertaining informative material.

As for the bathroom...yes...I believe we'll need power or charged batteries...perhaps a swing arm laptop holder...hey!...that's something to invent :~)

Ericbsc

73 05

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2011, 12:41:22 PM »

I guess I've lost count, so how many issues are we missing now?Huh Last inline shows June?
edroelle

1998 Royale Prevost

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2011, 05:02:39 PM »

I have been a subscriber since inception.   Like many, it is disappointing to miss issues or have late delivery.

However, I have to applaud all those who have struggled to make the magazine a "go".    This is a terrible economy !!   Many business are extinct.   Congratulations to Mike, Mike, and others, for not giving up.   

I have resisted electronic media.   But, I am willing to give it a chance to help the survival of the magazine.   (Jack likes it, I will definitely try it.)

Ed Roelle
Flint, MI

Paladin
Dave Knight

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2011, 05:55:17 PM »

I've resisted saying anything so far but I might as well have my voice heard and a vote so to speak for whatever it's worth.

I just renewed my subscription and to be honest I probably wouldn't have if I knew what was going on. True, the storm clouds were brewing for all to see but then I've been wrapped up in my own issues, a recent back fusion with subsequent troubles which threaten my ability to work on and enjoy my bus (which may just go for sale). I just got home from a painful injection in my hip/arse thank you very much!
In general I'm not a fan of electronic issues for many reasons but then again, if it keeps the thing going and is the last and only choice then I guess the magazine still means enough to me to have that. The idea of a quarterly issue really bothers me though and especially if it were quarterly AND online. What's next, bi-annual followed by an annual electronic edition? I'm very skeptical of those things and have seen it before, it's a late sign of the writing on the wall. I look forward to my monthly print magazine and in this economy it's about the only magazine I get.
If the online editions had more material, more tech stuff and relevant material to warrant something that I can't sit on the john to read without a laptop on my knee then I'd probably be a taker.  

In short, I want the regular monthly hard copy print and would consider paying a minor additional cost to have it but if that's just not possible, no way, no how then I'd go with the electronic edition. If it's less than monthly then I'd like my money back please.

Now, as for Mike. I know that Mike has poured his sweat into this thing but it's a huge and ever hungry beast and I applaud him for his efforts. Does anyone else (aside from present owners) want to step up? Nope, didn't think so, me neither.
I applaud anyone who can and will give it a go and I'll try to be patient...to a point.

-Dave

« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 06:50:16 PM by Paladin » Logged

'75 MC-8   'Event Horizon'
8V71  HT740
Salt Lake City, Utah

"Have bus will travel read the card of the man, a Knight without armor in a savage land...."
roxnadz

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2011, 08:47:03 AM »

Firstly, a tip of the hat to Mike Sullivan for his hard work with the magazine.

Put me in the crowd that advocates an online version over the printed one...not saying we shouldn't have it, but those who do want the printed version should be prepared to pony up for it.

As far as frequency - I'm ambivalent, really...though, depending on available resources I think bi-monthly is a good compromise between number of issues and work required to get each issue out. It would have to be on-time, though...I've wanted to subscribe, but haven't due to the questions surrounding when it's supposed to come out.

Just my pennies...

1989 TMC RTS T80206 6v92TA / ZF HP590
SF Bay Area, CA and the world Cheesy
CrabbyMilton

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: November 02, 2011, 09:23:04 AM »

Whatever happens will happen. The free market will determine whether or not BCM will continue as a traditional "dead tree" magazine. If it continues, I will renew it when offered if not, I'll just make GOOGLE my friend as I do most of the time when I want to learn about whatever subject captures my interest at that time. However, there is no reason for some of you to beat up on Mike S and Mike K. They did fine when you consider all of the factors when you take in account some of the sorrowful personal problems that Mike S had to deal with earlier this year. I had nothing but polite response from Mike K's people in the past if the issue was late or lost. I hope he can make a go of things too but you have to remember that people with interests in buses are a very small group of people.
rv_safetyman

Jim Shepherd

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: November 02, 2011, 09:38:08 AM »

As others have said, we very much appreciate what Mike S has done for the past few years.  We got to know him fairly well during the week prior to and after the rally.  You simply will not meet a nicer, more dedicated person.  I am so sorry that things did not work out, but it was not from a lack of dedication and huge effort on Mike's part.

I also appreciate what Mike K has done for our "hobby".  Pat and I have attended all but one of the Bus Conversions rallies.  I attended one of his wonderful workshops in 1998 or 99. 

Now for some observations.  In my estimation, this forum is far and away the best in the field.  Some folks have minimized the resources needed to make it operate, by pointing out that the software is free (I think).  If not, it is not all that expensive.  However, what goes unnoticed is the fact that this forum is hosted on a dedicated server at a major ISP.  That is not cheap.  If this whole thing goes in the toilet, so does this valuable resource.

Next, folks say that they might not need the magazine (in whatever form), since they have the internet.  I can't speak directly for the other authors, but I can assure you that my articles contain a great deal more information than I present on any of these forums. Not only do the articles contain more information, but they are generally presented in a format that makes it easier to get the detailed information in a somewhat logical format.

Most all of the replies express support and you can include me in that group.

Jim

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Somewhere between a tin tent and a finished product
Bus Project details: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog:  http://rvsafetyman.blogspot.com/
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: November 02, 2011, 09:59:08 AM »

I am not going to beat up on Mike K (to bad) but I have been to this prom dance before with Mike I subscribed to his Arriving magazine which IMO was his best magazine he ever published I paid 3 years 90 bucks the magazine went away and I never got my refund.

I spoke Darlena several times I forget her last name but she said it was a not a problem she would apply it to Bus Conversion Magazine which I agreed to six months later I received a notice of my last issue if I didn't pay cost me again lol

I will give him the benefit of the doubt on this to see how it plays out it wasn't the 90 bucks with me it was more of principal thing I still have the last copy of Arriving it was a fine magazine Mike I bet you could not do that magazine now for less than 10 bucks a copy but 90 bucks was a little steep for 1 magazine lol

good luckt
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 10:06:08 AM by luvrbus » Logged

Peter_Crowl

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: November 02, 2011, 10:57:12 AM »

Depending on the format you should be able to print out the digital magazine for use in any room of the house :~)
ktmossman

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: November 02, 2011, 12:23:22 PM »

Just a thought...

There is a publishing concept out there that some book publishers (mostly textbooks, manuals, etc.) are using.  They publish an online version, and offer a printed version "on demand" through a third-party printer.  So, all subscribers pay a lower cost for the online version and the printing costs to the magazine publisher go away.  The subscribers who want a hard-copy pay (directly to the third-party printer) the actual cost of printing/mailing their copy.  Those who order hard-copies typically get to choose their own binding.  So, if someone wanted to keep the magazines in a binder, they could order their copy loose and pre-punched.  Of course, different bindings have different costs, but it is up to the recipient.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: