Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 23, 2014, 06:34:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You will not have to go out in the rain, sleet, hail, or snow to retrieve it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is the best way to quiet a gen air intake?  (Read 705 times)
bruceknee

Ignore
« on: October 15, 2006, 03:36:18 PM »

There is nothing attached to my intake and  it is loud. I fabricated a filter housing but it did not quiet it down at all.
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2006, 05:22:40 PM »

The air flow needs to be bent twice at 90 degrees.
Richard

There is nothing attached to my intake and  it is loud. I fabricated a filter housing but it did not quiet it down at all.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
boogiethecat

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2006, 05:28:17 PM »

And you can always stick a regular muffler on the intake. As long as it's big enough to not restrict it will work well.
I usually use two donaldson style air filters in series, that helps a lot too, of course my application is in some nasty dust
so the two filters are necessary for me. I use a 4" one for filter #1 and a 2" for #2.  Dust doesn't get thru and it quiets it right down...

1962 Crown
San Diego, Ca
Kristinsgrandpa

1988 Neoplan AN 340, 6V-92 TA DDEC II, HT 748 ATEC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2006, 05:34:23 PM »

These people have some info on types of material for construction.

http://www.soundproofing.org/infopages/generator.htm

I heard the same thing that Richard posted, 2 90 deg bends but I'll probably use Gary's approach since I have a couple of mufflers lying around. (I know this works because I held a muffler in front of my air intake and it was great)

Ed

I'm very conservative, " I started life with nothing and still have most of it left".
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: