Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 28, 2014, 06:24:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New ownership began September 1st 2012!  Please send any comments to info@busconversions.com
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is the best way to quiet a gen air intake?  (Read 739 times)
bruceknee

Ignore
« on: October 15, 2006, 03:36:18 PM »

There is nothing attached to my intake and  it is loud. I fabricated a filter housing but it did not quiet it down at all.
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2006, 05:22:40 PM »

The air flow needs to be bent twice at 90 degrees.
Richard

There is nothing attached to my intake and  it is loud. I fabricated a filter housing but it did not quiet it down at all.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
boogiethecat

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2006, 05:28:17 PM »

And you can always stick a regular muffler on the intake. As long as it's big enough to not restrict it will work well.
I usually use two donaldson style air filters in series, that helps a lot too, of course my application is in some nasty dust
so the two filters are necessary for me. I use a 4" one for filter #1 and a 2" for #2.  Dust doesn't get thru and it quiets it right down...

1962 Crown
San Diego, Ca
Kristinsgrandpa

1988 Neoplan AN 340, 6V-92 TA DDEC II, HT 748 ATEC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2006, 05:34:23 PM »

These people have some info on types of material for construction.

http://www.soundproofing.org/infopages/generator.htm

I heard the same thing that Richard posted, 2 90 deg bends but I'll probably use Gary's approach since I have a couple of mufflers lying around. (I know this works because I held a muffler in front of my air intake and it was great)

Ed

I'm very conservative, " I started life with nothing and still have most of it left".
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: