Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 21, 2014, 09:53:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You will not have to go out in the rain, sleet, hail, or snow to retrieve it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Series 60 Smog Engines  (Read 3739 times)
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2011, 04:24:36 PM »

Here are my #  Model  6067MK60       Spec  S 01 261 29004   DDEC  IV     Turbo GTA 42     Can you tell me more?   Bob

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
Zeroclearance

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2011, 04:27:53 PM »

Bob, your engine has all the good parts.   You are most likely 470HP.   What is the Detroit part number on your turbo.  You gave me the Garrett model number.
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2011, 04:30:11 PM »

would it be under tag? if so will ck tomorrow

Ericbsc

73 05

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2011, 06:04:13 PM »

Bob when I had my ecm reprogramed for the allison, the guy turned the hp up to 550. He is a certafied Detroit gug. He said that 550 on that engine would produce the best fuel mileage as well as the best tourqe curve. He told me that going higher was a waste of fuel, and lower would produce a little less mileage. Since I didn't have a clue I told him to go for it. About 2k miles so far and I am very pleased. He did say to remember you are not driving a sports car even though it may feel like it. Going faster is quicker, but slowing down still takes time!!!!LOL
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2011, 06:26:06 PM »

What shop turn a 12.7 up to 550 hp Eric ? doesn't sound like a dealer you need to be careful what you post on these boards lol the EPA gods may get you and the tech

good luck
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 06:29:59 PM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2011, 06:58:26 PM »

Interesting about epa guys  and other.   mileage  VS   pollution . but if you burn more fuel =more pollution per trip?

NEO/Russ
NEO/Russ

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2011, 07:03:28 PM »

Bob, my Kenworth T2000 is a 2000 and has the Gen I Eaton Autoshift.   Remember the autoshift can only handle a certain torque max.  You can go up on hp, but if you go up on torque and are really pulling a load you can overload the clutch.  Or so the Eaton techs told me at MATS (Middle America Truck Show). 

Well no longer a bus nut, but over the years I learned a lot here and still come back to see what I can apply to the conversion of my KW T2000 for hauling my Teton fifth wheeler.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2011, 07:15:15 PM »

All I can tell you Bob if you ever break down and need to go to a DD dealer all things better match with the records they have no sense of humor when it comes to the settings lol.

I have saw WW Williams destroy the programing on a ECM in a Peterbuilt because of the funny business the guy walked out with a Prolink did his thing came back with a laptop and wiped it out and told the trucker now it will be right or tow it some other place no monkey business with those guys

good luck
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 06:18:08 AM by luvrbus » Logged

Oonrahnjay

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2011, 07:17:44 PM »

(snip)  but if you burn more fuel =more pollution per trip?

No, it doesn't work like that.  If you burn a gallon of fuel and it's 95% efficient, it's less pollution than someone who burn 1/2 gallon of fuel but is 85% efficient.  The secret is in the efficiency of burning.  If you allow unburned fuel to go out of the tailpipe, you're making pollution.  It's not that amount that you pull out of the tank, it's the amount that goes out unburned (or isn't cleaned up by something like after-burners, Diesel Emission Fluid, catalytic converters, etc.)

Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long
6-cyl, 4-stroke, Leyland O-680 engine

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)
HB of CJ

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2011, 07:40:57 PM »

Specific question to TomC.  Is Fire Apparatus still exempt in CA, or do they have to beat to the same lame smog law drummer?  Thirty five years ago, we FFs had sweet running 2-stroke Detroits that apparently had no smog equipment (or mufflers) at all.  They sounded so cool.  HB of CJ (old coot)
Seayfam

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2011, 08:03:03 PM »

Interesting about epa guys  and other.   mileage  VS   pollution . but if you burn more fuel =more pollution per trip?

That is just it, you burn more fuel, you put more pollution into the air.

On my 2008 Diesel, not only do I have EGR I have a DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) this is supposed to catch a bunch of the soot and hold it in the exhaust. Then after the sensors in the exhaust notice a pressure change, the ECM sends the vehicle into a regeneration cycle. This cycle dumps fuel into the exhaust during the exhaust stroke, this goes into the DPF and burns off the soot turning it into ash and falling to the ground. Sounds good in theory right? The only problem is... When it goes into regen, I can go from 15mpg down to 5mpg for 35min or more.
It also smokes like a chimney. Now is that environmentally friendly?

After many of problems with this system, and fuel getting into the oil, I took matters into my own hands. I blocked off the EGR and removed the DPF. I had to get EFI Live and go in and rewrite my ECM to turn off the regen cycle and shut off all codes associated with it and the EGR. While I was in there, I turned the turbo into an exhaust brake and changed fuel timing and a few other adjustments.

This gained me 5mpg, cleaner oil for longer periods, 90+ hp, and a turbo brake.  Grin

BTW... This is in a pickup, and for off road use only!  Wink

Gary Seay (location Alaska)
1969 MCI MC-6 unit# 20006
8V92 turbo 740 auto
more pics and information here     "  www.my69mci-6.blogspot.com  "
Ericbsc

73 05

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2011, 05:15:50 AM »

It wasn't a detroit dealer that reprogramed the ecm. From what I was able to research the engine was available in marine form at that rating. As far as a name? I can't remember a first name, or last come to think of it?Huh?? Smiley
Ericbsc

73 05

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2011, 05:23:02 AM »

It is my understanding that you can adjust the hp and tourqe seperately on the 60. Never confirmed that one. I do know that I will have the ability to program this thing before I quit. I took it to DD to change the roadspeed from a tailshaft input to J1939. $130.00 later it still dosen't work and they told me the would need 3-4 hours @ $100 per to figure it out. A few of those hours will pay for a prolink!!!
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2011, 06:51:13 AM »

That is ok Eric I know who your contact was lol but I'll never tell if you ask the guy for me how he makes the engine brake work when I do it the engine brake and cruise control goes away

good luck

rv_safetyman

Jim Shepherd

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2011, 07:56:32 AM »

Wow Eric, Clifford's comment could explain your issues.

Jim

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Somewhere between a tin tent and a finished product
Bus Project details: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog:  http://rvsafetyman.blogspot.com/
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: