Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 24, 2014, 08:54:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Series 60 Smog Engines  (Read 3556 times)
morefire

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2011, 01:32:37 PM »

Interesting that Detroit is sold out.  Where are they all going?  
Maybe they just aren't making them as fast since Prevost switched to Volvo engines, and just about all the new MCI's I've seen have a bright red Cummins ISX showing just under the rear bumper.
Just about all the new high end trucks I know of have a red engine in them as well

« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 01:44:59 PM by morefire » Logged

David G
Toronto, Ontario
2009 Bluebird 40' Coach
Cummins ISX-675HP!!
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2011, 02:06:34 PM »

Cummins the only other engine manufactures can buy DD will not sell to other manufactures their engine only goes in their products.
The new Peterbuilts and Kw's have their own engine the MX has a blacktop they bought engine manufacture in Germany I believe

good luck

Live each day like it was your last,one day it will be
Seayfam

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2011, 03:05:35 PM »

Interesting that Detroit is sold out.  Where are they all going?  
Maybe they just aren't making them as fast since Prevost switched to Volvo engines, and just about all the new MCI's I've seen have a bright red Cummins ISX showing just under the rear bumper.
Just about all the new high end trucks I know of have a red engine in them as well

I'm not sure what happened to Detroit? But I am guessing it is the same thing as Caterpillar. Caterpillar stopped building over the road Diesels because of the new emissions regulations. They figured that they had a good enough market in the off road vehicles and equiptment, and they didn't want to get a bad name over the emissions problems. I know first hand that the auto industry has many problems with their Diesels. I can only imagine how many trucks and autos in the colder climates are going to have problems with the urea injected Diesels.

Gary Seay (location Alaska)
1969 MCI MC-6 unit# 20006
8V92 turbo 740 auto
more pics and information here     "  www.my69mci-6.blogspot.com  "
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2011, 03:35:56 PM »

Detroit hasn't gone anywhere they just cannot keep up with the demand for the new engines in their trucks and buses,and Cat and Navistar still build the C-15 and are coming out with a new family of engines Cat is even building trucks with a partner ship with Naviastar old yellar is not dead yet lol

good luck

buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2011, 07:35:54 PM »

Gone are the days ordering this engine in that truck or bus.

You can't put a Ford in a Chevy..along the same lines, everyone is going vertical integration, meaning you only put your own stuff in your own stuff and don't sell it to your competitors.

So, you can only get a Detroit in a Freightliner/Western Star/Setra

You get a Volvo/Mack in a Volvo/Mack/Prevost

MCI is out in the cold, so they get the independent Cummins, as does Van Hool's North American offerings.

International, is International, except when their big engine is a re-badged Caterpillar.

Cummins, as independent with no vehicle manufacturer ownership, can still get into most of them as an option, but with a huge engineering integration.They are almost like another engine department within each of the others. Risky and daring from a proprietary knowledge standpoint, but that's where the world is, if you want to stay in the engine business

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2011, 11:58:11 PM »

So far, Caterpillar has not put a highway engine in their new truck.  The Caterpillar on highway truck is an International truck with a Caterpillar hood, and the International Maxforce 13 engine painted yellow.  Have yet to see the C15 Caterpillar engine with Internationals screwed up injection and exhaust system on it.

All big truck companies are co-owned by an European partner.  Freightliner/Western Star/ Setra buses by Mercedes-Benz (although the new DD engines are American made by Detroit still); Kenworth and Peterbilt have DAF (Dutch Automotive Fabrication); Mack is engined and owned by Volvo (no such thing as a Mack engine anymore); International by MAN (Manufacturing Augsberg Nurenbug); Autocar is still an American independent (trash trucks) running Cummins.  Good Luck,  TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2011, 10:18:25 AM »

I saw a new VanHool today that had a DD13 Detroit it also has the Daimler label when did that happen ? VanHool,Thomas and Setra what a combo looks to me like the Germans are getting serious about the bus thing 

good luck

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: