Bus Conversion Magazine Bulletin Board
June 18, 2018, 04:27:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
Author Topic: What would you replace a 6V71TA with?  (Read 5781 times)
Hero Member
Online Online

Posts: 19386

« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2011, 06:42:58 PM »

I never heard the air box drains called slobber tubes except on these bus boards took me awhile to figure out what they were talking about lol it doesn't bother me any longer I have enough trouble trying to figure out what some are calling other parts on the engines you know like a supercharger for one   

good luck


Life is short drink the good wine first
Hero Member
Offline Offline

Posts: 1147

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2011, 08:07:59 PM »

What are "slobber tubes"?  I can't find that term in my Detroit manual.  Perhaps you are talking about "air box drains"?

I guess I am. Truckers call them "slobber tubes".

I don't think 'truckers' run 6V92's anymore, and I find the term offensive.  If you are blowing oil out your air box drains your engine needs an overhaul.  Catch containers only delay the overhaul.

I cannot believe you found the term "offensive". And I also learned the term when I was driving truck out of Dallas, TX.

I can assure you, no offense is intended. Maybe we should just refer to them as "The S word".

Dr. Steve, San Juan del Río, Querétaro, Mexico, North America, Planet Earth, Milky Way.
1981 Dina Olímpico (Flxible Flxliner clone), 6V92TA Detroit Diesel
Rockwell model RM135A 9-speed manual tranny.
Jake brakes
100 miles North West of Mexico City, Mexico. 6,800 feet altitude.
Hero Member
Offline Offline

Posts: 8639

« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2011, 08:57:35 AM »

When I bought my first truck in 1980, the 8V-92TA had the air box drain tubes plumbed into the crankcase.  This was great except if the aftercooler started leaking coolant.  Detroit shortly afterwards came out with a bulletin to cut the tubes, crimp the lower portion and just let the airbox drains (what you all are calling slobber tubes) drain to highway.

In recent years, the EPA has started to count the engine blow by as part of the engines overall smog count.  So now, all engines have some sort of coalescing filter that takes the blow by mist, condenses the oil, filters it and returns it to the oil pan, but still allows the pressure in the crankcase to be relieved.

There are coalescing crankcase filters made for all engines-albeit they are expensive (around $1,500).  And specially for 2 strokers are a collecting dual inlet tank to attach to the air box drains that can be periodically drained.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
Jump to:  

Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.18 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!