Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 29, 2014, 10:04:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not turn yellow, get musty, dusty, and mildewed or fade.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Emergency Dining table dimensions required  (Read 956 times)
viento1

Ignore
« on: November 04, 2011, 08:24:53 AM »

Hey guys,

An unscheduled renovation has started. I honestly had no intention of ripping out the chairs... but I did Huh I have 4 kids and they need a proper place to eat (at a table) Now I have this big space and was about to build a dining table 24 inches by 40 inches and the bench seats 24ish inches by 36 inches.

Am I on the right track? to small, to big? the larger the table gets, the smaller the walkway gets

The reason it is an emergency is because I we are leaving on a mini trip in 2 days... why do I do this to myself.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 10:18:57 AM by viento1 » Logged

Ok, it's time to go on another road trip.
www.randalclark.com
MC5
buddydawg

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2011, 11:48:28 AM »

I used a guidleing similar to this one and then tweaked the measurements to fit my space.  It does give you a good idea of the correct size consttaints for a comfortable space.

1972 GMC T6H-5308A #024

Brandon Stewart - Martinez, GA
Nusa

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2011, 01:10:27 PM »

You could just grab some kitchen or folding chairs from your house and leave the making of the bench seats until later for when you have more time.
You could use a household table as well, if you have something close to the right size.
Add some bungie cords to keep chairs from falling over when on the road.
Trying out tables on hand also lets you get a feel for space issues before you build anything.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 01:13:30 PM by Nusa » Logged
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2011, 08:37:39 PM »

Yes, I agree, just throw some table and chairs in there and tie them down, you got better things to do this close to a trip than to start it off frazzled and pissed off at the hasty results. Or, she doesn't need to be... whichever.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
technomadia

Zephyr - 1961 GM PD-4106-446

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2011, 09:10:52 PM »

I third the above suggestions... this close to your next adventure, you shouldn't need to be worrying about constructing something quickly that will be a permanent fixture.  A folding table and chairs should suffice for this upcoming trip.. then you can construct what you ideally want when you have time to fully think it through and build it.

Use the opportunity with your family this trip to dream about what would be excellent & desirable in this newfound space, and make plans around that. Make it a fun expedition, and involve those who will be utilizing the space.  (That's what we've been doing... rip something out, daydream for a few weeks while living with it, plan, then build).

- Cherie

Cherie and Chris / www.technomadia.com
Full-time 'Technomads' since 2006 (technology enabled nomads)
Dave Siegel

Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything!

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2011, 02:10:10 AM »

When we were putting together our Silversides we both decided we wanted to stretch out on a couch at night and watch TV. That left absolutely NO ROOM for a dinette table. Our solution was to get a fold up table approximately 20" wide by 32 inches long and the height can be set at table height, or cocktail table height and some in between, When we don't need the table it folds up and stores in a closet. We put the table in between both sofas and for dinner we get an entire sofa to sit on.

So my suggestion is fold up tables and chairs, go have fun and when you come home you can plan with a clear head.

dave

Dave & Jan Siegel    1948 GMC  "Silversides"
               Naples, Florida
   Dave is Host to the "Help Assist Pages"
  (Free roadside help for Bus Conversions)
         www.help-assist-list.com
NoRivets

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2011, 10:47:07 AM »

We just used a 'card table' and some kitchen chairs for a long time.  It worked out well and allowed us some time to figure out what we really wanted and what would fit in our space.

AZ
1980- RTS - 8v71N w/N-65 A-timed/ 4:10 gears
towing a Jeep Wrangler.  99.9% completed (15th Yr)
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2011, 12:01:33 PM »

My dinette is a combination of original bus seats and an RV dinette table purchased at Winnebago Surplus before they closed.

The first year I used a 24"x48" plastic table with folding legs.  I screwed tiedown points to the floor and used cam straps to hold the table in place.  48" is too long for a dinette table, at least in my bus.  It stuck too far out into the aisle.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
viento1

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2011, 06:48:25 PM »

Thanks, the diagram is exactly what I was looking for, I will take a few pictures tomorrow and report on my progress. I am done and ready to go. I love my bus!

Ok, it's time to go on another road trip.
www.randalclark.com
MC5
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: