Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 21, 2014, 08:31:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It takes up much less space in your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fresh Water Storage  (Read 1031 times)
viking1
Viking
Jr. Member
**
Offline Offline

Posts: 74





Ignore
« on: November 04, 2011, 03:40:25 PM »

Does any one have any idea how long you can safely have fresh water in your tanks. Do you need to add an additive to the fresh water tank, will it start growing stuff after a while.
Logged

Price is what you pay.  Value is what you get
gumpy
Some Assembly Required
Hero Member
*****
Offline Offline

Posts: 3261


Slightly modified 1982 MC9


WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2011, 07:22:03 PM »

It's really going to depend on many variables.

Where did the water come from? Most, if not all, municipal water supply will have been treated with chlorine, which of course will inhibit growth
of bacteria and such.

What are your tanks made of? Stainless and plastic are probably the most common materials. How they are constructed could contribute to bacteria growth.
Shoddy welding can cause bubbles which can harbor bacteria, etc.  How translucent the material is (plastic) can also affect growth.

How much light is allowed to enter the tanks can have an affect on growth. Are the plastic tanks positioned where sunlight regularly enters them?

I'm sure there are other factors. The bottom line is, "maybe, it depends."

I have left water in my tanks for up to 3 months without use and have had no issues. I fill with municipal water probably 99% of the time. I have never added clorox or any other
additives to my tanks. I winterize by draining the tanks completely, blowing out the lines with air, and pumping RV antifreeze through the system, except for the tanks
and pressure tanks. I put new filters in the system (5 micron sediment on the shore line, 1 micron carbon on the distribution line) after I wash out the antifreeze residue \
in the spring. I drink the water that I put into my tanks. Many choose not to drink the water in their fresh water tanks (due in part to some of the above reasons).

craig
Logged

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
happycamperbrat
Hero Member
*****
Offline Offline

Posts: 1813





Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2011, 07:44:51 PM »

I used to full time with my kids in a motorhome. The tanks were plastic and yes, I added bleach with every fill up. I learned to do that the hard way. When bacteria strikes the water smells and has a kinda slimy feel to it EWE!!!
Logged

The Little GTO is a 102" wide and 40' long 1983 GMC RTS II and my name is Teresa in case I forgot to sign my post
viking1
Viking
Jr. Member
**
Offline Offline

Posts: 74





Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2011, 08:43:26 PM »

Thanks guys. They are plastic. Not exposed to any sunlight and water has been in there for close to 6 months. We live in a ranch community where we share a number of wells with other ranches and we have our own little water department. I am assuming they treat the water just like city water. But we all know what assumes means..

I wonder if I should add a teaspoon of chlorine to every tank during fill up? or does the RV store sell something not as harsh?
Logged

Price is what you pay.  Value is what you get
TomC
Hero Member
*****
Offline Offline

Posts: 6852





Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2011, 11:50:04 PM »

Using municipal water that has chlorine in it, a long time.  The worst would be untreated stream water, or even well water.  I always try to use chlorinated water, and still don't have any growth in my 130gal plastic tank after 16 years.  Good Luck, TomC
Logged

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
JWallin
Jr. Member
**
Offline Offline

Posts: 59




Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2011, 04:30:27 AM »

Chlorine doesn't last long, doesn't kill everything, leaves sediment. Stuff grows fast.
Logged
Ed Hackenbruch
Hero Member
*****
Offline Offline

Posts: 2429




Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2011, 08:34:28 AM »

I have an inline filter that i use on the hose when filling the tank. I also have a filter between the pump and the faucets in the bus. The first filter is usually good for a couple of months, the second is usually changed on the first of every month.
Logged

1968 MCI 5A with 8V71 and Allison MT644 transmission.  Western USA
Kevin
Full Member
***
Offline Offline

Posts: 125





Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2011, 04:06:17 PM »

Do you drink the water? We bring bottled water for drinking always. I've left water (yes, community well water is chlorinated) in our stainless tank for many months at a time and it has never smelled funky but I would never consider drinking it either. I always dump and refill with fresh water prior to using the bus.

I also tapped-into the domestic water plumbing for my radiator mister system... but made no provision for backflow prevention... another reason we do not drink the water. Again, never experienced any problems with smelly or funky water when draining the tank prior to refilling for an outing.

Kevin

Logged

"To the gov!!!"
Bill B /bus
Sr. Member
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 267





Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2011, 04:41:52 PM »

I have been using Purogene, from 3R Marketing,  as an inhibitor/cleaner since 2000. 1 oz per 30 gallons. Water is drinkable within minutes. No odor.  If i'm sure of the water system then I don't use any additional treatment.

Bill
Logged

Bill & Lynn
MCI102A3, Series 50 w/HT70
Ed Hackenbruch
Hero Member
*****
Offline Offline

Posts: 2429




Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2011, 04:54:47 PM »

We have been fulltiming for 8 years so we use one to two tanks of water a week. Depends on where we are as to whether we drink it or not. Grin
Logged

1968 MCI 5A with 8V71 and Allison MT644 transmission.  Western USA
luvrbus
Hero Member
*****
Offline Offline

Posts: 12731




Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2011, 05:41:19 PM »

A bottle of peroxide will keep your tank and the water drinkable that is all we ever used for 30 years and have left in the tank for months
Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  
 
Jump to:  

Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.18 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!