Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 28, 2014, 12:36:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If your computer is lost, damaged, or stolen, your Online mags will be safe.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SETRA :: any opinions?  (Read 2581 times)
JerryH

« on: October 15, 2006, 08:04:40 PM »

Any opinions on Setra?
Anyone seen a S 431 DT in person...?

Curious & Dreaming Cheesy

Jerry H

« Last Edit: October 16, 2006, 08:55:51 AM by JerryH » Logged
Beatenbo

1993 MCI 102 C3 Cat Power

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2006, 08:38:46 PM »

My daughter lives in NC close to Greensboro and I've seen there US sales lot. I'd love to have a new one. Sharp ride.
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2006, 10:16:49 PM »

Setra is part of the Mercedes/Benz-Freightliner family.  You'll have many service outlets to choose from.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2006, 01:28:55 PM »

There are plenty of Setras / Kassbohrer's running around over here; as far as I am aware they are not regarded as anything particularly special, but no doubt have their devotees. I believe they were one of the first fully monocoque coaches, which certainly isn't a feature I would want in a bus conversion. The exterior design and styling is very conventional, at least compared with many new coaches on the market today, but I have no idea about what they are like under the skin or performance-wise etc. I don't know the different model numbers so cannot say if I have seen that particular version on the road

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
belfert

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2006, 01:44:16 PM »

That model isn't listed on the Setra USA website, so it probably isn't sold in the USA.  Only the S417 is listed.  The S417 looks REALLY nice on the outside, though I have never been in one.  Setra is putting the Mercedes-Benz logo about 4 foot high on the back.

Personally, if I could afford to buy new, it would be a MCI or Prevost since everybody knows how to work on those.  I'll bet if you brought a new Setra to most Freightliner dealers it would the first one they ever saw and they wouldn't have any parts or trained mechanics.

The older Setras have a lowered aisle that would be a challenge to work around.  They also have some parts that are German and need to be ordered from Setra.  The A/C compressor is not a Carrier like most.

Brian Elfert
JerryH

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2006, 04:59:42 PM »

There are plenty of Setras / Kassbohrer's running around over here; as far as I am aware they are not regarded as anything particularly special, but no doubt have their devotees.

The same could probably be said about MCI ... but I have MCI's and certainly an happy with them. I was intriqued with the S-431 DT model for sure.

Personally, if I could afford to buy new, it would be a MCI or Prevost since everybody knows how to work on those. I'll bet if you brought a new Setra to most Freightliner dealers it would the first one they ever saw and they wouldn't have any parts or trained mechanics.

The older Setras have a lowered aisle that would be a challenge to work around. They also have some parts that are German and need to be ordered from Setra. The A/C compressor is not a Carrier like most.

Brian: Well, this is the 'dreaming' ... looking for something different and unique thing ... and that Setra model is that. My 'dream' doesn't revolve around an RV-type conversion. I think the Germans offer some interesting engineering. One doesn't have to look much further than BMW, Mercedes, Bosch, etc.

Again, I am an MCI diehard and if money were no object, I'd take an MCI D4505 (newlook) and have Marathon do something to it.

Jerry H.
HarLee
HarLee

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2006, 08:47:32 PM »

Hey Jerry - I haven't seen one of the new ones - but I do have a 92 Setra and I love it - It drives real nice and rides like no other bus I've ever driven - I picked it up in southern Oklahoma and drove for at least 8 hours a day and I wasn't all that tired when I did stop - and as for the lower isle - I'm just gonna put a 2 by 4 frame in there and cover it with ply wood and call it a flat floor - It works for Momma and me - But that new one is nice - and Yor right - dreaming is what it's all about -
 Harry

Harry & Lee Clay
Sequim, WA

Works for Me
John E. Smith

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2006, 08:12:29 PM »

Setra is part of the Mercedes/Benz-Freightliner family. You'll have many service outlets to choose from. Good Luck, TomC

I am new to the board, but I wanted to offer my two cents here. As a retired trucker with ALOT of experience with Freightliner, I want to warn you that -- as a general rule -- their level of service sucks. Most of their shops are so backed up that you have to wait sometimes as long as a week to get in, and there seems to be no set standard on training -- some of their so-called mechanics have virtually no diagnostic skills. Basically, if the computer can't tell them what is wrong, they don't know how to tell.

There are certain exceptions to that rule, such as Stoops Freightliner in Indianapolis -- but that is fuel for another topic!

Happy Bussing!

John E. Smith
1982 Thomas TransitLiner ER Conversion
Shop Mechanic, Tejas Coach Works
Mineral Wells, TX

John E. Smith
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2006, 08:27:56 PM »

How tall is an S 431 DT? Looks waay up there. Also appears that it would require extreme mods to build into a conversion coach....if that's what you have in mind?
Sure a fine looking thingy! If you buy it and don't like it, feel free to leave it here...for a while.
You can get a good looking "tall bus" with an H3...and they are in the market and parts and service are widespread. Prevost even caters to RV conversion owners.

BTW, WELCOME JOHN SMITH, Shop Mechanic! A real live bus mechanic! Hope you stick around a while! Post some pix of your coach! Smiley
Cheers, JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.

Ayn Rand
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2006, 08:40:10 AM »

Jerry,

1st off I love my Setra and I am currently shopping for another 1 ! But then again we are in the charter biz, not conversions! The S215 & 217 models that Harry & I have are the "old style" which have the drop center isle in the floor, which most converters tend to want to avoid! But as Harry has done if yer not real tall you can just cover the drop (and use as extra storage & or a utility run compartment. Or you could do as Wayne from MI did and widen the ilse on each side and build up from it and nobody would ever know the difference!  Personally I thing the Setra's have the best ride/handling of any bus I've ever had the opertunity to operate! Now as for the 431 DT I beleive you'd have to import it, as the only ones available in the US are the "old style S215/217" or the new 417's which are awesome! and would be a converters dream with being 102" wide & 45' foot long with a flat floor and the Mercedes engine and all kinds of other fancy options such as the see thru roof (I forget the option name for it, but it's COOL!) and many other Setra Quality features! Just my 2 cents worth! BK  Grin Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Kmon

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2006, 04:24:01 PM »

Hey all,

Looked the Setra website, and it looks like the S 431 DT is 4000 mm high, or 13.1232 Feet.  So it is under the 13'6" bar.  It's also 45.57 ft long....that would be one cool double decker conversion.

Keith

1989 MCI 102A3
8V92
HarLee
HarLee

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2006, 07:04:28 PM »

Hey BK - I'll second that - It is without a doubt the best bus I've ever driven - and I've driven just about every one there is (Bus driver and tour operator) Grin

Harry & Lee Clay
Sequim, WA

Works for Me
Homegrowndiesel
Vegetable oil, Rudolf Diesel's original fuel

73-05 Eagle

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2006, 08:56:03 PM »

1 Cool Bus
Thanks for posting it.
You probably wouldn't have to weld on this one Grin

Bill Glenn

Aerodynamic Eagle & MCI 102a3
JerryH

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2006, 06:14:05 AM »

Hey Bill:

Howdy ... fun bus huh?
So ... how was Delaware Bus Rally Pt II Huh    Sorry couldn't make it -- just wasn't in the cards.
BUT we are heading south to FL.

Linda's dad (Jim) and I will be at Arcadia.  Linda, her mom and the kids are heading to Orlando.
I couldn't twist her arm to come down (if even for the day) ... but there's still time.

See you and Roberta down there, be cool if we could time it so we get there about the same time.
When are you guys arriving?

Jerry H.

1 Cool Bus
Thanks for posting it.
You probably wouldn't have to weld on this one Grin

Bill Glenn
Homegrowndiesel
Vegetable oil, Rudolf Diesel's original fuel

73-05 Eagle

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2006, 08:16:05 PM »

Hey Jerry we usually get there on the 29th. We visit the family in WV. and leave there on the 27th take a leisurly trip, and generaly stay somewhere in SC or GA before heading down.  There was some talk of some of us meeting up somewhere before FL and heading down together. What time are you planning on. It will be good to see Jim again.

Bill

Aerodynamic Eagle & MCI 102a3
JerryH

« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2006, 10:55:21 AM »

Hey Bill:

We're heading out and south on 12/25.
Lady Lake, FL on 12/26.
Arrive in Arcadia, FL on 12/28, stay 2 nites.
Leave to head back to Lady Lake on the 30th.

That appears to be the plan.
Like everything ... it's subject to variation.
Smiley
Jerry
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: