Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 21, 2014, 03:22:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It can be read on any computer, iPad, smart phone, or compatible device.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: VS2-8 troubles, looking for more knowledge  (Read 647 times)
Paxton

'68 TH8-5305A

Ignore
« on: November 06, 2011, 11:47:38 AM »

Still on my first big journey in my fishbowl.  I decided to push my top speed down the backside of a pass... and my VS2 locked up on me, put me on the side of the road thinking I seized it up good and my fun was over. I dont have a VS manual...

I restarted the 8v71, but when the tranny was shifted into forward or reverse the engine would die.  So I left the engine running with the trans in neutral, hoping to cool it down, assuming that was a large part of my problem.

I made a couple calls, and let my oil circulate for a while.

My VS2 was obviously locked up somehow, so I took a hammer and tapped on the valve body and solenoid and the air shift mechanism, hoping my transmission is not just hot siezed.  I push my forward shift button, and my motor didnt die, and she moved.  put another 200 miles on without any problems.

I have since did some reading, and I believe the solenoid on the valve body is the solenoid that shifts my VS2 into 3rd and/or overdrive. correct?  Is the external valve body they only valve body on the transmission?  I have also noticed on the bottom of my air shifter there is a 2 wire sensor that unscrews, and its terminals are very very loose.  what is this sensor for?  I need to find a new one.

any and all help and advice is appreciated.

-Paxton
opus

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 01:29:45 PM »

Was looking around and found this: http://www.busnut.com/bbs/messages/233/6006.html?1083517264

Not necessarily regarding your issue but might be some info about the unit.

1995 BB All-American - A Transformation.
Utahclaimjumper

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 01:45:33 PM »

The two wires going to the air shifter is not a sensor,, it uses two ball bearings to make contact when the shifter changes gears,  the solenoid only engages the clutches after the shifter chooses farward or reverse, if you select neutral on your shifter the solenoid releases the clutches and the trans stays in the last gear selected until you change it.  On the top of the trans you have a cover that can be removed and by changing shims inside you can adjust the shift points,, you need a manual and it will hold you hand in the process.>>>Dan

Utahclaimjumper 
 EX 4106 (presently SOB)
Cedar City, Ut.
 72 VW Baja towed
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 09:30:36 PM »

Get on over to BNO and give a shout out to a good friend, Bill Gerrie.

He's pretty good with these, for an old bus driver!

And if he isn't, he'll know where to go, or not.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: