Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 18, 2014, 05:21:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If your computer is lost, damaged, or stolen, your Online mags will be safe.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: heat source for boondocking?  (Read 6487 times)
PP
Will & Wife

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: November 21, 2011, 08:54:21 AM »

Ted,
I hope we're not hijacking this thread.
pp - Do you mind sharing the heaters' make/model?

Thanks,

Ted
When we purchased the bus a little over 5 years ago (we had a fiver before that and have been fulltime RVers for more than 14 years) it had Platinum Cat heaters installed complete with venting and thermostats. We loved the efficiency of them, but alas, they wore out (26 yrs old) and I couldn't patch them back together anymore without new parts. Getting new ones isn't an option, though I can't understand why no one has started manufacturing them again. So last year, after doing lots of research, we decided the best approach both asthetically and efficiently was to replace the Plat Cats with another catilytic that fit the same cutouts (close enough anyway). We settled on Olympian Waves-2 size #6 and 1 size #3(bathroom). They connected to the existing gas lines and fit over the original cutouts with little modifications. We use the existing 2" pipe exhaust vents in the rear for feeding them fresh air in addition to the three open roof vents. We had to add the Maxair vent cover to keep rain and such out of the kitchen vent because it's just your standard crank open style with fan, BTW. The bedroom is a T-5 fan assembly that doesn't seal unless you manually attach the inside cover. The only drawback is that they aren't thermostatically controlled like the Plat Cats. But they're a lot quieter than the Plats because they don't have an exhaust fan. Our windows are not full of condensation unless the wife is cooking spaghetti or some such. And the fuel consumption I stated in my other post included cooking (we heat a lot of water for tea) and using the oven twice (before it quit). We have 2 CO detectors, one in the bedroom by our heads and one in the hallway near the floor. The Olympians are supposed to shut down in the event of low Oxygen or flameout, but redundancy is always good.
Hope this helps, Will

white-eagle

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: November 21, 2011, 12:48:32 PM »

i don't think it's hijacking if we are still talking about heat sources for boondocking. 

We had a cat heater, but took it out when we had to re-do the walls and floor a couple years ago.  took way too much wall space which we wanted for chairs and such.  Had to keep everything away and it was just too tough to keep it away from chairs and tables.
i'm going to look at the models you mentioned, in case they would work

Tom
1991 Eagle 15 and proud of it.
8V92T, 740, Fulltime working on the road.

Fran was called to a higher duty 12/16/13. I lost my life navigator.
PP
Will & Wife

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: November 21, 2011, 05:27:20 PM »

They work into our floor plan because we have a side hallway instead of down the center of the bus. The kitchen has an attached island that allows that one to be mounted facing into the lounge while the hall one is mounted on the wall that comes out at the foot of the bed. When you walk down the hall you walk right toward it just like when you walk from the front of the bus toward the rear you walk right toward the kitchen unit. The only one that has something in front of it is the bathroom unit and that is only when the door is open against the wall that it is mounted on. You learn not to leave the door open when the heater is on. The cat that we replaced in the bathroom had a switch mounted on the door that shut off the gas supply when the door opened too far and I might try installing that valve inline at some point since the DC supply and switch are already installed. Hope this helps, Will

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: