Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 21, 2014, 05:04:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 500 Members as of May 5th, 2006.  Smiley  3,499 Members as of October 21, 2012 Cheesy

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wind mill generator pulley ratio help  (Read 1888 times)
blank

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2011, 10:24:15 PM »

I would start with the propeller, the size requirement to generate the required power (power need is probably pretty low) and speed ability per expected wind speed.  I would figure that out, the drive requirement falls easily out of that.  Mind you I have no clue how to start figuring out power ability and speed ability.

Brian

I believe you have to go the other way. Somewhere the generator has a power curve where you can find peak power, and maximum rpm. If you input too much power it will overspeed, if you dont have enough power its likely worthless. The correct propellor would produce peak power at mean average wind speed, and allow the generator to reach max rpm at a point where the blade tips stay sub sonic. Most wind electrics start feathering out of the wind around 45 mph to keep peak rpm constant, and at some upper limit, and after its fully feathered, they apply a brake. The correct prop would dictate the general gear ratio between prop and generator.
rv_safetyman

Jim Shepherd

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2011, 04:26:59 AM »

Sorry Tom.  Didn't take enough time to read your post.  I should have known, as you very seldom (ever?) make mistakes.

Yes, with the double speed-up drive (using a jackshaft) will indeed give you the speed ratio you mentioned.

Jim

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Somewhere between a tin tent and a finished product
Bus Project details: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog:  http://rvsafetyman.blogspot.com/
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: