Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 18, 2014, 02:45:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You will not have to go out in the rain, sleet, hail, or snow to retrieve it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Small LCD Computer Monitor - Source?  (Read 1162 times)
rv_safetyman

Jim Shepherd

Ignore
« on: October 16, 2006, 09:01:18 AM »

With the help of a member of this board, I am setting up a  high resolution color rear view camera/monitor system.  The system uses a regular computer monitor.

I don't have the room for a large monitor.  I would like to find something in the range of 10-12 inch.  I have tried several searches and can't find anything in a reasonable price range.  Ebay does not have anything using the search strings I could think of.

I know at least one person has talked to me at a bus rally about a source, but I did not think to record the source.

Appreciate any help.

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Somewhere between a tin tent and a finished product
Bus Project details: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog:  http://rvsafetyman.blogspot.com/
Ace

« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2006, 09:22:38 AM »

Jim not knowing exactly what your use will consist of but on my 17 inch LCD flat screen TV/DVD combo it has the capability of being used as a pc monitor as well. I know it's a little bigger than what you asked for but I'm sure there are other sizes that could come close.

I found one here that is similar at 15 inches compared to the one I have even though it's an off brand, the price seems very reasonable.

I'm sure it could be adapted to your needs!

http://www.flyingjestore.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=ShowItem&item_number=20&product_code=EL416&sku=100

Ace
Kiwi55

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2006, 09:28:14 AM »

There are are number of LCD screens in the 10-12 inch size. Some run on 110v, but often have a "brick" that in fact reduces the voltage to something lower (12v).  The biggest issue with these types of monitors is the brightness, in particular they often are not viewable in sunlight. this is probably less of an issue in a bus where the glare from the sun can be directed away from the screen. Many law enforcement angency use a brand called "Litton", these are very bright.
I am vurrenylt using a 12" LCD monitor by ELO. These are often listed on e-bay at under $100.
...Paul
eglluvr

The Quest is But The Beginning...

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2006, 10:10:14 AM »

Depending on your video input, I just bought a 7" 12v LCD with RCA (R/L/V-Composite) on closeout @ Wally world for $50.  Its freestanding and was intended as an additional monitor for an inmotion entertainment system.  The smaller Monitors seem to be disappearing as closeouts due to the availability and adoption of 10" dvd players this year.

Sometimes the Cost of being on the bleeding edge of technology outweighs the value of the systems...
I am done donating blood for a while...

Jim
Buffalo SpaceShip

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2006, 10:40:29 AM »

We have five of the little 5.6" TFT screens we collected off of eBay for use in portable DVD/VCR system we have (Audiovox/ Eddie Bauer). If you shop around, you can find these for less than $50, with composite inputs, and stereo speakers. They run on 12vDC.

This online reseller offers a nice range of little screens with even more functions... depending on your needs: TV tuners, remote controls, some even w/touchscreen USB and VGA connections. A computer geek could make something really cool with a mini computer and one of those monitors... combo video/MP3 player, GPS system, multi-camera viewer/ recorder... combine w/ an X10 system, and you have some nice automation for your AC items.

Google the term "mini ITX" and you'll be floored by the tiny little PCs folks are building. Some are even integrating them into their automotive systems, so a bus would provide even more areas to innovate.

The sky's Geek's the limit...  Grin

HTH,
bb

Brian Brown
4108-216 w/ V730
Longmont, CO
Ross

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2006, 12:10:47 PM »

I looked for quite some time for a small PC monitor and came up with nothing...nothing reasonably priced anyway.  You could use a video monitor with a scan converter on the PC.  I thought of doing that with a touch screen overlay on the video monitor.  I'd still like to find a bonified PC monitor less than 10" though.

Ross
Kiwi55

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2006, 01:33:56 PM »

I cant remember if I'm allowed to post e-bay links, but try searching using this...

"Elo Touchsystems 12" Touch Screen monitor ET1224L"
rayshound

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2006, 03:04:12 PM »

Jim,
what type of input? Regular computer monitor, (vga) or regular composite video, Rca jack.? E-bay does have monitors 12vdc in the Rca jack type under Alpine for one an I am sure under a few more system names. I purchased a 10" color tv monitor flat screen with aux video inputs from Radio Shack. Ray
boogiethecat

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2006, 05:03:15 PM »

Lots of the monitors you want on ebay,

Search:  lcd 12 and when you've hit return and the search comes back, hit the "more..." link in the 'matching categories" on the upper left, then when that comes back hit the "Monitors & projectors" category.   You'll find all the 12 inchers there.

Once  you're there replace the sirch string with LCD 13  and you'll find the 13 inchers as well... there aren't many but enough to find something I'm sure

Good luck
Gary3

1962 Crown
San Diego, Ca
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: