Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 03, 2014, 12:54:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription:  It will not get lost in the mail.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Inverter voltage problem  (Read 454 times)
uemjg
jerry

Ignore
« on: November 08, 2011, 03:49:28 PM »

I just hooked up my house batteries to my inverter and checked output voltage and it is low...around 101vac.

I believe it may have to do with the ground portion of the inverter...I have the inverter's ground connected to the lower compartment's aluminum floor.  Could this be the problem?
viento1

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 03:51:40 PM »

is it a pure sine wave inverter? can you test the voltage under load?  The reason I ask is my old square wave would always show a wacky voltage. I have heard that my volt meter was not RMS but I never checked that.

Ok, it's time to go on another road trip.
www.randalclark.com
MC5
uemjg
jerry

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 04:11:39 PM »

I don't believe its a pure sine wave...quote from online manual, "Maintains PWM sine wave output voltage of 120V AC (+/-5%)."

I remember the same problem when I wired my garage sub-panel and it was because I didn't have a ground back to the main house panel.  I wondered if this may also be the same issue.
thomasinnv
Derrick Thomas

I may be nuts, but only for buses

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 07:22:24 PM »

As Viento1 said, if it is MSW and not PSW then it will read low like that with most meters. There is a certain type of meter that will read MSW correctly, don't remember the type off hand though. 100v sounds about right for MSW on fully charged batteries, will go down to about 90 or so as the batteries discharge. Thats with most types of standard volt meters.

There are three kinds of people in this world....those that make things happen, those that watch things happen, and those that just wonder what the heck is happening. Which one are you?

1977 MCI Crusader MC-8
8V71N/740
95% converted (they're never really done, are they?)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: