Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 31, 2014, 06:54:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You will not have to go out in the rain, sleet, hail, or snow to retrieve it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tire Pressure Monitoring systems (Moved From Lugnuts Thread)  (Read 918 times)
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« on: October 16, 2006, 12:58:23 PM »

I felt this subject was to important to be buried in an unrelated thread.  I have copied all pertinent post to this new thread. 

JR,
 When we installed our Pressure Pro, we did not use the optional antenna. Occasionally, we would temporarily loose the signal from 1 or 2 of the rear bus tires or toad tires. We added the optional antenna and have not had that problem re-occur. The optional antenna has a 40' coax that connects tpo the monitor on the dash.
 The only other problem we have had is the sensitivity of the unit. We aired all of our toad tires to 30 PSI in Florida with an ambient temperature of 90 degrees. Up here in NC, the temp dropped into the 30s, tire pressures dropped to 27 PSI and alarm went off. We simply unplugged the monitor. We have 2 options: 1. remove the sensor, wait 1 minute and re-install, it will now consider 27 PSI as base pressure or 2. add air to bring pressure to 30 PSI.
   The sensors will fit in the openings in the Alcoa wheels, but it is extremely difficult to air either dual without removing the outside dual.  We plan to add extensions to inside duals and put short, straight valve stems on the outside duals.  Jack

Last Edit: Today at 09:45:34 AM by JackConrad   Report to moderator    166.165.238.162 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Growing Old Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional

rv_safetyman

Jim Shepherd

Re: Lug Nuts - Pics of my Nuts
Reply #30 on: Today at 09:16:34 AM      

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sorry that we have two subjects in this thread.

JR, the hard wired antenna uses a cable and connector that looks like your typical CB cable on one end and a connector on the other end that connects where the small "rubber ducky" cable connects on the console.  The cable is 35 feet.  Doran also has a repeater that can be mounted in the rear part of the bus.  It does not have a cable, but does require 12 volts.  I do not need an antenna in my 40 foot Eagle.  I sell perhaps 1 antenna for each 5-10 units. 

The sensor is about 1 inch in diameter and 1 inch tall.  I have not run into a case where they can't be installed because of space.  Jack said he had to remove the outer wheel to install his unit on the inner dual.  Some customers install extensions to bring the sensor to the outside.  On my Eagle, I can get my hand between the tires and remove the sensor to add air.

Report to moderator    Logged 

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Bus Project details: http://www.rvsafetysystems.com/busproject.htm

Reply #25 on: October 15, 2006, 10:02:45 PM      

Jim, what sort of coax or wiring does the Doran midship antenna consist of?  I reckon that would be necessary on a 40' coach.
Is it a "repeater" or an antenna proper? 
About what is the diameter of the transmitters?  My inner duals are tight.  Real trick to air them up. 
Thanks, JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence?  I think not."                ~Stephen Wright

Refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.

rv_safetyman

Jim Shepherd

Reply #23 on: October 15, 2006, 08:33:34 PM      

Hi Ace.  The standard price for Doran/Pressure Pro systems is $190 for the console and $50 per tire.  The margin for dealers is very low, so I don't think you will see "specials".    I don't charge shipping and phone or e-store orders don't have tax charges.

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO

pete81eaglefanasty

Reply #22 on: October 15, 2006, 07:56:42 PM      

I also have the Doran Pressure Pro. It went off twice this year on my trip. once on the right rear dual, a loose valve stem. the other on my jeep, right rear, all i could find was a loose sensor. but it sure let's you know when they are low. best thing I bought this year.
I got them from Mr Safetyman. Jim Shepherd

Pete

fantasy

Ace

Reply #21 on: October 15, 2006, 07:49:51 PM      

JR Thanks and I see those have come forth and answered! 

Thanks Jack!

Jim I didn't know you were a dealer for Doran and it's nice to know that someone we know is! Ok my next question. I saw the pricing on THIER web site. What is yours? You can email me if need be. I'm not sure I want to wait until the rally to purchase one or before, then again, if there is a rally special I may have to wait! 

Ace

Ace & Susan

rv_safetyman

Jim Shepherd

Reply #20 on: October 15, 2006, 07:43:34 PM      

Jack, thanks for the referral.  I can always use the business <grin>.

Since the thread is hijacked a bit anyway, on a somewhat related subject, does anyone know a good source for the lug nut covers and hub caps for Alcoa wheels?

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO

JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

Reply #19 on: October 15, 2006, 07:27:13 PM      

Ace,
    We have the Doran Pressure Pro on our coach.  We also monitor our toad. We are very happy with the system. Price seems to be comparable with other systems and no installation cost. (Smart Tire requires demounting tires to install sensors). When towing our golf cart trailer, we remove front tire sensors from the front wheels of our Grand Cherokee and install them on the trailer.  Jim Shepherd will be selling them at our rally or you can reach him at www.rvsafetysystems.com.  Jack

Report to moderator    166.165.214.89 

Growing Old Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional

NJT5047

« Last Edit: October 16, 2006, 01:35:45 PM by JackConrad » Logged

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2006, 05:58:42 AM »

I compared the various systems and decided this was the best one for me. I talked to Jim at BusN' USA in July and told him i would be getting one soon but had to take care of a few other things first.  A rear view camera and monitor are also high on my list of things i want/need but due to limited dash area on my MCI 5A i had not found anything that would fit....until this summer of course.  Smiley So now the quandry, which one first? i decided on the tire system first, i have talked to several people that have had blowouts on their toads that did thousands of dollars of damage.  Since i can't constantly watch a monitor going down the road it makes sense to have a system with an audio alarm that will let me know that a problem is stariting and  hopefully get stopped before it does any damage. Will still get the camera and monitor just so i can check and see what is going on behind me traffic wise, since people like to sneak up and hide back in my blind spot but that will have to wait for a while yet.  Have bought fire extingishers from Jim before and just ordered the Doran from Jim a couple of days ago and now i am like a kid at christmas  waiting for it to get here! Grin  Thanks Jim.

1968 MCI 5A with 8V71 and Allison MT644 transmission.  Western USA
Melbo

MC8 under construction

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2006, 09:46:35 AM »

For a reasonable priced back up camera go to

www.roadmasterusa.com

Melbo

If it won't go FORCE it ---- if it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway
Albuquerque, NM   MC8 L10 Cummins ZF
belfert

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2006, 10:07:46 AM »

Do the wireless cameras that mount on the license plate really provide enough of a view when backing a bus?

Brian Elfert
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: