Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 19, 2014, 06:58:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You will not incur forwarding fees when you are on the road.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: No longer a wannabe  (Read 2318 times)
jaybe_2

Ignore
« on: October 16, 2006, 03:30:44 PM »

Today we took the plunge!! 1985 prevost XL it has an 8v-71n with a 4 speed auto. I will repower it with an 8v-71t and a 5 spd allison that I already have. I am also going to raise the roof. Any thoughts on a good amount to raise it? Any pitfalls I should watch for with this bus?
Ace

« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2006, 03:48:12 PM »

Jay congratulations on your new purchase and welcome to the Prevost group of self converters!

Can't tell you much other than have fun!

Ace
Slow Rider
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2006, 04:22:23 PM »

As a still "wannabe", welcome.  You won't find a nicer or more knowledgeable group of people.
Good luck on your new toy.   

Frank

The MCI has landed..... We are home.
Dale City Va.  Just a southern suburb of DC
Yes I am a BUSNUT
1976 MCI MC8
eglluvr

The Quest is But The Beginning...

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2006, 04:47:44 PM »

Congrats!, I hate to disparage Franks remarks, But I am here also      Wink

As a still "wannabe", welcome.  You won't find a nicer or more knowledgeable group of people.
Good luck on your new toy.   

Frank
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2006, 05:14:56 PM »

Jaybe2,

Congratulations!  Most of us here know exactly how you feel right now......

Now that feeling will soon go away for a while, cause the hard work ahead of you will make you forget it....LOL

And when your done, That feeling is 10 times greater...

Lots of Luck!

Nick Badame-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
jaybe_2

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2006, 06:12:06 PM »

Thanks every one. I do understand how big of a progect this is, but I have been looking forward to it for some time now. I do have most of it already planned out, I know what I want for a floor plan,and I know what I going to use for heat and a/c, all my aplliances, and generator. I even have the colors pland for the out side. The inside colors are up to my better half. 
mikeH8H-649

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2006, 06:43:51 PM »

jaybe congrats on your new bus,as for how much to raise I raised mine(4905) 10" so I could have a flat ceiling and plenty of head room,not sure about the mci's,it is great that you have all planned out I did also and all was going like I had planned untill I took Kathy to a few ralleys and now she has figured out some things she wants different than what was planned,I am glad to make any changes as we are still at the point where changes are easy to make and she has gotten much more involved since the timmonsville ralley,change can be good to a certain point,good luck   Mike
BusCrazyTom

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2006, 07:51:15 PM »

Many congratulations! I'm still looking forward to that day, but it will be soon and I can only imagine how happy you are! Good Luck!

BusCrazyTom the Analog Dinosaur
Stupid Bus Newbie Smiley
bigtim44

Red buses go faster!

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2006, 08:09:44 PM »

congrats and goodluck!! Grin

Basalt Colorado
1986 TMC 102A3,6V92,Auto 740,conversion in progress.
http://redbusconversion.blogspot.com/
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2006, 04:05:31 AM »

Jay,

Congratulations and Best wishes for safe travel and many fun adventures while you convert your coach.

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
jaybe_2

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2006, 05:32:59 PM »

Well tomorrow is the big day. The bus has been sitting for a wile,so as part of the deal they had to charge the batteries and make sure it would make the trip home. With any luck I will not have any problems. Any one need some prevost seats?
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2006, 05:52:10 PM »

Welcome to the insanity.

About that 8V71t & 5spd auto... I've heard lots of bad things about that combo  Cry . I've even heard that they charge you lots just to dispose of it. So to welcome you to the busnut world, I'll take care of disposing of it for you.  Grin  Yeah, thats it, I'm helping the new guy, yeah, yeah. you believe me don't you?  Roll Eyes

Oh well, you can't blame a guy for dreaming...... Grin

That should make for a nice ride.

Pictures, man, I need pictures  Smiley

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2006, 06:05:33 PM »

Congrats on your bus purchase Jay, regarding your roof raise, before you raise the roof, be sure that you have a need for such additional space.  If you're 6'2" or some such, you may have a need.   If you're 5'11 or less, you'll have plenty of headroom.  There are other reasons to raise a roof, but...?
RM Fiberglass sells caps that are often used on roof raises, and they only come is specific sizes.  You may wish to contact Richard and see what he recommends.
Another thing that, depending on how you handle the issue, could get right expensive is the side windows with roof raise.   You'll want to match the roof raise to what fillers (and caps) you can find for the Prevost style windows.  Prevost has good looking OEM window styles.
Web address for RM is:   http://www.rm-fiberglass.com/index.html
If you raise the roof, you'll be getting up to the max height (or close enough to it) if you install rooftop ACs.   You may be utilizing basements...I offer these ideas for consideration.   Get over 13' and you'll lose a lot of calories every time you go under a bridge.  Depending on where you live, you may be quite limited on routes available to even a 13' coach.  
Probably be nice to get the preferred engine and trans installed, get the mechanicals freshened up, and by that time you'll have very likely changed about half of what you plan now....and your spouse will alter the other half!  Wink
Good Luck, JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.”

Ayn Rand
jaybe_2

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2006, 06:23:01 PM »

NJT5047 Thanks for the heads up, I plan on going with basment a/c anyway. the roof raise is more of a want than need. I want a space for a/c duct work and I want a flat ceiling. I had gone to R&Ms site but did not see any thing for the LeMirage. I will take your advise and call them to see if they do offer any thing.
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2006, 07:13:07 PM »

Sounds like you have a plan!   Often the caps intended for a different brand can be modified to fit.  Even the correct caps can be a nightmare to install.  You'll sort it out. 
Hope there's an easy solution.   Some converters just add material in lieu of buying caps.
I'd be interested in what you find out about the caps.
And while you're posting the cap outcome, post some pix of your bus! 
Regarding the seats.  When I stripped my MC9 I listed the seats on Ebay....sold them to a church for $5 bucks.  They removed all the seats too.  Also decided that they wanted the racks and wanted to know how much more both racks would cost them... Grin....they removed them, didn't break any windows, and hauled all of the stuff away.  They were proficient, and quick.  I reckon that they knew what the wanted.  I never got my $5 bucks, but left them good feedback...I shoulda paid them!  Best thing!  They drove from Branson, MO to Charlotte, NC to get the seats.   Whatta trip.  Bus converting officially began once those seats were out of there.   You never know who may want'em, but once the word is out, someone may.  A many of them are hauled to the landfill too.
Best, JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.”

Ayn Rand
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: