Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 22, 2014, 03:20:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What the heck is happening with diesel prices?  (Read 7872 times)
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: November 21, 2011, 07:28:58 PM »

Geez, suck it up sisters...

This is the same BS that was whined and moaned about during the oil crisis in the 70's.

How did that turn out?

And no doubt in every other time back to the Bible and before, when the cyclical nature of the world meant that the working guy didn't have a few spare bucks in his pants.

But, since you weren't paying attention last time, this is your first time through?

The grand kids will be just fine, every generation is, despite the hand wringing of those who came before.

Whether they think of their grandparent as neurotic is in your hands...

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: November 21, 2011, 07:43:04 PM »

yep!
That is why I'm trying to teach my kids to think for themselves & to read between the lines.
Amazing how they adapt to make the best of things & more amazing to see them planning for the future rather than simply waiting for it to arrive.

I remember when gas left $.50 & went up to $1.00 - I knew I wasn't going to stop driving, so I planned for it.

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
blank

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: November 21, 2011, 10:00:44 PM »

Geez, suck it up sisters...

This is the same BS that was whined and moaned about during the oil crisis in the 70's.

How did that turn out?
  happy coaching!
buswarrior

Well lets see, The town we moved from had posted roughly 50% increases during every census, from 1960 to 2000. So even during the oil crisis the city grew at the same average rate. The 2000 Census was 10K. In 2007 the estimated population was 25K and was projected to reach nearly 30K by 2010. Housing was booming, they were adding on to schools, we had 4 big busy car lots, and maybe 1000 small businesses.

Today, the 4 car lots are empty, the lights are out. almost 1/4 of homes are vacant, lawns need mowing. One day we watched as bulldozers destroyed brand new homes after the Bank turned them over to the city. 

What happened was gas hit $4 gal, and everything went to hell. And I could stop in 100 other towns and see and hear the same story. The news tells the same story. The politicians tell the same story. You would have to been living in the dark under the south polar ice cap the last 6 years not to know high fuel prices are what have the economy in a mess and what started the who housing crisis.

So I would say the 1970's oil crisis was a walk in the park next to whats happening today.
Seayfam

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: November 21, 2011, 10:32:36 PM »

I'm going to have to say, I'm with Paul on this one.
I am a contractor/real estate investor, four years ago I could build a house and make a good profit on it. To get gravel or concrete back then, I paid $60.00 hr for truck time, now I pay $110.00 hr. The same goes for every piece of material that goes into the house. Even the equiptment time for drilling wells, installing septic systems, and building driveways.

All materials going into the house get trucked or shipped up to Alaska and cost a fortune now. But at the same time our housing prices have dropped off about 30% in the last 4 years. So now I can't make a profit if I pay people to work for me. The last two years I have been doing it all on my own and have been really roughing it. I really don't see anything changing unless the fuel prices go down. The only thing that worries me about that is... I don't believe the trucking prices will drop as much as they raised.

I must say, I feel for the younger generation. The guys I had working for me were all in their early 20's and really just getting started. Now they are unemployed and having a hard time finding jobs. I'm sure it will all get better as it always does, it's just going to be awhile.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 11:31:31 PM by Seayfam » Logged

Gary Seay (location Alaska)
1969 MCI MC-6 unit# 20006
8V92 turbo 740 auto
more pics and information here     "  www.my69mci-6.blogspot.com  "
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: November 22, 2011, 02:39:36 PM »

Sure, higher fuel prices hurt, but that ain't the real problem. The result of blaming it only on the cost of fuel is to provide a distraction from the real truth so one can continue to hide from reality in order to avoid the effort required to recover.

One must consider the effectsthat self entitlement ( pay later, you deserve more, easy credit, bogus appraisals, & lending 110+% with nothing down ) had on the economy & how that caused the current economic mess we in.

Way too many people got used to living way beyond their means all financed on the speculated future value of their house or other real estate holdings. When the bubble burst, the resulting fallout was inevitable & expected (even by those who have to been living in the dark under the south polar ice cap the last 6 years).  Shocked

I pay as I go & do without a lot of things. I don't believe in 'a free lunch'. I have been working on my conversion for better than 8 years, and I'm not going to stop for fuel prices - I'll make adjustments as necessary to enjoy my time with family & friends.

Things will get better when the entitlement mindset is in the minority & the majority accept responsibility for themselves.

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
Iceni John

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: November 22, 2011, 03:03:51 PM »

Interesting what you say about gasoline prices killing communities.   J.H.Kunstler discussed this exact subject in his book "The Long Emergency"  -  I don't necessarily agree with all his hypotheses, but I do agree with his assessment that so many bedroom communities will suffer when (not if) the costs of driving become too high for most people.   These communities, like so many cities in this country, were predicated on the ready availabilty of cheap fuel.   With this a fast-disappearing resource, the entire face of this country's housing will inevitably have to change, along with the resultant social structure.

Yes, high diesel prices will hurt us in the short-term, but in the long run we may be far better off than those folk who are shackled to increasingly-expensive lives in communities with essentially no public transportation.   These people will suffer most.   If things get bad, us mobile dwellers (or potential mobile dwellers) will be at a definite advantage.   As any biologist can verify  -  Adapt, Or Die.

John

1990 Crown 2R-40N-552:  6V92TAC, DDEC II, HT740, Jake.      Hecho en Chino.     
Behind the Orange Curtain, SoCal.
Flatspot

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: November 22, 2011, 03:18:36 PM »

Diesel price is going up and gasoline is dropping.....
diesel sales are subsidizing gasoline prices this time around so the economy doesn't tank

Zuzax, New Mexico (Exit 178 I-40) 12mi East of Albuquerque

1956 PD4104 6-71T
1988 Eagle 15 CC Conversion
1983 Mack W Utility Bed Service Truck (road assistance in New Mexico)
blank

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: November 22, 2011, 03:31:57 PM »

If things get bad, us mobile dwellers (or potential mobile dwellers) will be at a definite advantage.   As any biologist can verify  -  Adapt, Or Die.

John

I disagree. When fuel costs make the less fortunate among us park their vehicle, they will become increasingly militant. Driving down the road in a big shiny Bus will send those people in an absolute rage.

I owned a Ferrari that was keyed right down to bare metal, both sides, bumper to bumper, for no other reason that jealous anger. That kind of behavior has been spreading world wide, you can no longer leave nice cars or things outside where the public has access, or they will wreck it, spit on it, etc.. I know guys who sold the car just because the areas they live have gotten too scary to own anything like that.

Back in that town I came from, the last few years it got to where you could not leave a vehicle sit outside unattended. If they weren't stealing stuff out of it after smashing your window, they were stealing the wheels, or worse, crawling underneath with a cordless sawzall and taking your catalytic converter. Sucked to be you if they couldnt get anything, they would get angry and wreck it more. And we thought it was kids. The few they caught were grown men, 30 plus years old.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: November 22, 2011, 04:21:42 PM »

Fuel price control every aspect of the average persons life any of you guys been into a grocery store lately or bought clothing the average guy who moved his family from the city for a better life is suffering it cost him 25 bucks a week driving to work now cost him 75 bucks how do adjust for that.

I been around long enough to remember when gasoline was 18 cents a gal and diesel was 11 cents we had a new home and new car living good on a $110.00 week hell I just spent a weeks salary for the wife,me and grandsons on meal.

One thing some have to forward too is it's going get to worse  

good luck
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 05:31:12 PM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: November 22, 2011, 05:27:56 PM »

If $50 a week breaks the budget, how would it survive any unexpected expense like tires or a car repair? 

My grandmother told me that if ever I found that I couldn't save a day's pay each week - then I was living beyond my means. I thought that was a bit unrealistic, but then I realized that others made less than me, so I thought I could suffer thru it. Rainy days aren't so dark when you aren't on the edge.
It hasn't ever been easy & I have cheated many times, but thru all the difficult times, we've managed to stay ahead. I don't like having to cut back, but usually it is necessary in order to stay within my means. The sooner I make the cutbacks, the less severe they have to be. . . .

I believe living within your means requires planning ahead & self discipline. The rewards aren't always immediate.

luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: November 22, 2011, 06:01:33 PM »

50 dollars a week hurts as some people earn less than 20,000 a year and they pay the same prices as the ones that make a 100 grand a year to drive to work 2400 a year takes a big bite out of the budget for those but they survive and those I have a great deal of respect for those

I see this first hand as we have a small organization  I am a member of where we help working people trying to survive and go to work with help for fuel a tank a month

I wish we could do more but there is no way but they appreciate what little we can help these are 10 to 12 dollar a hour people Kyle not 30 to 60 dollar wage earners and their cost is the same as yours driving to work maybe in a Honda and not Lexus but they working

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: November 22, 2011, 08:02:26 PM »

I may come across cold hearted, but I've seen the hat passed for people who make more than me- yet they still won't cut back. I try not to judge, but when they have more stuff than me . . . .

I know the difference between needs & wants.
I know how much I can spend before I run out.
I know how much intrest on a loan costs.

I ain't as far over 20,000 a year as many think & my wife has been out of work for 4 months. I sure would like to know what 30/hour is like! I can't imagine 60! talk about easy money & early retirement . . .
I don't have satelite or cable TV. We share a family cell phone plan with my parents.
My newest car is a 2001 model.
I have carpooled to work because I didn't have enough for gas & car repairs - walked 1/4 mile to meet the ride & often had to wait over an hour after work for the ride home.
I am so tired of PB&J for lunch.
I can't remember the last time we had steak - much less went out for a steak dinner.

I sure am glad I started saving 20% early on - wouldn't have the bus hobby without it. Like Mom said, "If you can't afford to save it now, you never will".

Spending less than you earn pays big rewards.

Some will cut back on fuel, I will too, but I won't stop using it.

blank

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: November 22, 2011, 08:48:31 PM »

I realize we don't all think the same, and we all don't have the same incomes or resources, or the same knowledge, backgrounds, or suffered as much as someone else, or not suffered like some others have. The fact is, everyone here, richer and poorer, has decided they want a Bus, some of us whether we can really afford it, or whether it even makes any sense. I guess thats the "nuts" part of it. And equally, most of us will find a way to support our dirty thirsty habit regardless of the pump price, at least for the near future.

But this is not the early or mid 70s and this isn't just another gas crisis. While I personally do not believe we will run out for several hundred years, and while I don't even believe its left over dinosaur fuel, most of the world does and at some point its going to simply become to hostile to go anywhere whether you can afford to or not, because as the cost goes up its going to force many people to park their car. And then our big ol Bus is going to become a big ol target.

Another way of looking at it is, you can do everything right, paint your house, mow your grass, pick your weeds. But when 1/3 of your neighbors have gone toodle loo and their houses yards are 2 feet high in grass and weeds with bums sleeping in em and windows broke, your house wont be worth dirt squat. So whether you and I can afford it, or worked hard, or saved money, it may in the end not make a hill of beans difference if the rest of the people go loonie tunes. Thats why I feel getting the cost of fuel down is so important. To keep it sane.
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: November 23, 2011, 12:34:43 AM »

And in the 70's, during the fuel crisis, what was inflation doing to wages and the real values of assets, and interest rates doing to debts?

The issues were just as complex and worrying then as they are now. And the topics the same, jobs, housing, fuel, and the future for the children. Not to mention the horrible work ethic of those rock and roll listening young people entering the workforce...

Every generation, and doubly so anyone closely linked to the boomer generation, think it never happened to anyone else before them.

Those who choose to ignore history....

Towns rise and fall, jobs come and go, labour has to move to where it is needed, famine, pestilence, war, and bad decisions wipe out families, communities and entire cultures, the poor are jealous of the rich, everything is cyclical; which medieval fiefdom dared flash its wealth around, for fear of a neighbour taking a liking to it and taking it by force?

Only those with real power, and the will to use it ruthlessly, would have driven a Hummer earlier in the cycle of history.  So what gucci wearing, inadequacy compensator thinks the masses will leave his ride alone, while brazenly illegally parked at the curb, while he pretends to be something he isn't, in a club that overcharges for the beer?
Carrying a lease on an expensive car, or paying the parking tickets, is not power.

So, busnuts, rather than worry about stuff we neither understand, nor can have much impact on, except to vote when we have the opportunity...

Keep your powder dry, weather the storm, stick to the basics that the smarter of the old folks did, and how can it go wrong?

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: November 23, 2011, 03:44:54 PM »

I believe that when you force the cost of something well below it's true value, you cause a general contempt for the actual value of a dollar. That will also have a major negative impact on the economy.

If you trace the current economic problems back to the root causes, you will see personal irresponsibility crop up as one of the most common factors. Gullability & greed will be popular too.

Blaming or focusing on one thing will only distract us from making intelligent steps towards recovery.

History shows :
this recession was coming for a long time,
the longer it was postponed, the worse it will be.
The more the government interferes, the longer it will last. 

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: