Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 26, 2014, 03:09:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription:  It will not get lost in the mail.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: heip 8v92 ddec2  (Read 11199 times)
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2011, 05:21:56 PM »

Does it have 2 units or 1 unit for the ECM

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
Ace

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2011, 05:49:43 PM »

I'm going Over there tomorrow after work with my pro link which ironically is just across the road from where he's at!

Ace Rossi
Lakeland, Fl. 33810
Prevost H3-40
hargreaves
1987 MCI 102A3

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2011, 06:43:51 PM »

Low coolant sensor sometimes gets oil on it and it acts like there is low coolant. It will start when key is cycled but shuts down. take it out and clean it.  Good luck   Gerry

now as of Feb 2012 series 50 B400  . Sunshine Coast British Columbia
rv_safetyman

Jim Shepherd

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2011, 07:55:22 PM »

Low coolant sensor issue should throw a fault.  In DDEC III and IV it will trigger both the check engine and stop engine lights.  I think Jim said he was not getting a fault light.  When Ace hooks up his ProLink, we should learn quite a bit.

Jim

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Somewhere between a tin tent and a finished product
Bus Project details: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog:  http://rvsafetyman.blogspot.com/
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2011, 08:24:47 PM »

Yes when Ace hooks up the ProLink it will tell if it has any codes to tell. But I have on more than one occasion with electronic engines had problems that did not signal a fault!

Just a week or so ago one of our members who has been busy with no bus projects went to take his bus from the storage to his new house w/bus barn.

It would start and run about 3-4 mins and die.

He called me and we went through the codes thing and all it was telling us was that it had a ECM Prom fault.

He called DD and they were of no help.
I talked to him again and had him check and make sure the plug on the ecm was plugged in good and the wires were not pulled out or shorted.

He did that an still did the same thing.
He asked "Will it hurt it if I just drive it until it shuts of, and pull over restart it and go again? I only have a short distance to go, like 5 miles".

I told him as long as it had oil, water and oil pressure I didn't see what it would hurt.

He called about 2o mins later and told me he made it home. Said it died 2 or 3 times and then just kept running all the way home and was sitting there doing fine now that it was home.

Never did find out what it was!
Grin  BK  Grin

I also had on that had the infamous fuse issue and one day I got PO'd and yanked out the 2 injector inline fuse holders and replaced them and never had a problem again. (turned out the fuse holders had a lot of corrosion down in the slots and allowed bad connections!)

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
niles500
Niles500

ROSIE

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2011, 11:14:06 PM »

99% of the time on a DDEC II the shutdown is low coolant - add some to the surge tank and see what it does - HTH

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")  

- Niles
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2011, 05:16:59 AM »

99% of the time on a DDEC II the shutdown is low coolant - add some to the surge tank and see what it does - HTH

Niles this is true. But the one I was helping last week the first thing I had him do was unplug the low coolant sensor and put a paper clip in the plug to jump it. And he still had problems.
But Jim might should try that too.

Jim in your surge tank there should be a low coolant sensor (these go bad sometimes) unplug it and use a piece of wire or a paper clip in the plug to bypass the sensor and see what happens.
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2011, 05:21:37 AM »

If you are going to own a electronic engine you better invest in a reader or software because you are going to need it lol

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
jimsflx

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2011, 03:22:37 PM »

ace came today, hooked up prolink all the old codes had low voltage issues reset and it shows no new codes,when motor is running the prolink shows 13 volts,after running for 5 to 10 minutes it goes down to 12&11&10 then it shuts down, will start right back up any do it all over.whats next? thanks ace and every body else,jim

jim&roenie seagraves sebring fl. 4106-3083
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2011, 03:25:21 PM »

Had one bad battery once. so happens it was one 12 volt ddec tap was off of.   worth a ck.   Bob

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
jimsflx

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2011, 04:26:16 PM »

bk thanks .i will try the paper clip tomorrow,anyone knows if the equalizer is part of the vanner thats over the batterys or is it separete some where else? mci102c thanks bob i check batterys, jim

bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2011, 04:39:36 PM »

Not sure what you intend to do with the paper clip but it seems to me you have figured out why the engine is shutting down - the DDEC is seeing a drop in voltage and eventually shutting the engine down.  What you need to figure out now is where that voltage drop is coming from.  I don't know squat about DDEC but it seems to me you'd start with a VOM at the battery(ies) and work from there back toward the computer.  Somewhere something is causing the voltage that the computer sees to drop - my guess would be a flaky connection somewhere along the way.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
edroelle

1998 Royale Prevost

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2011, 04:50:02 PM »

I had intermittent code problems with a DDEC III.   Since I did the following, I have had no problems.

I disconnected the connectors and sprayed each, and the ECM, LIGHTLY with contact cleaner.  Then applied a very SMALL amount of dielectric grease to the contacts.

I would like to know your results if you try this.

Ed Roelle
Flint, MI
jimsflx

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2011, 05:23:31 PM »

thanks bob&ed we are trying every thing,will let you know when we find the culprit  i have a 6v92 mechanical in my flx and this is a new advenure jim

Ace

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2011, 05:59:17 PM »

After hooking up the pro link, it shows the 8v92 is set up with 400 bhp, 600 rpm, 2110 max rpm.
We checked the id number against what number jim had already found on the engine and they matched correctly.
Now the codes: (all history)
First one was
Low coolant voltage (occured 14 times)
Then
High coolant voltage (occurred 23 times)
Then
Another I can't remember
Then
Low oil pressure (24 times)
Then
84 which the book said low crank case pressure, I think!

The ECM voltage at idle read 13.6v but fluttered up and down as low as 10.2v and back up. There were times when the ecm would drop and the engine would try to die but as soon as the voltage went back up, it would keep from dying and continue to run.
Checking the voltage at the two 8D batteries showed roughly 12.8 volts. I wasn't the one checking the voltage as there wasn't a volt meter handy.
Checked the fuses to the injectors and they were 12.? volts. The fuse marked ecm was the same. There was ONE fuse, can't remember which that would not read above 10.? Volts.
Then someone said that while the valve covers were off, they noticed one wire seemed different as in hooked up different than all the others. It could be backwards?
It was also mentioned that one battery would take a charge but after about 10 starts, would be dead. This is the newest of the two.
I never looked at the ecm or the engine as I couldn't stay any longer than I did.
Oh that reminds me. One of the history codes was ecm failure, but no actual code number.
The cel and sel never come on prior to starting but the pro link said they were turned off. The sel DOES come on after it shuts down.

One more thing, I was able to clear all history codes. That took 3 attempts but gumball all were cleared. Once the coach was started and allowed to run until it shut down, the same exact history codes re-appeared and NO ACTIVE CODES were ever present!
That's all I can remember...other than engine sounds good, no smoke and starts easy. When it shuts down, its just like turning off the key switch! It will start right back up without hesitation!

Ace Rossi
Lakeland, Fl. 33810
Prevost H3-40
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: