Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 30, 2014, 12:06:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You can zoom in to make the text larger and easier to read.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: heip 8v92 ddec2  (Read 10364 times)
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: December 01, 2011, 08:50:31 PM »

After they installed two new  8D batteries the voltage appeared to stay more consistent in the mid 12v range fwiw

Ace I understand what yer saying, but if they truly want to rule it out my suggestion is the easiest way.
And anytime I have a PIA problem like this I like to rule out as many possibilities as possible!
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
rv_safetyman

Jim Shepherd

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: December 02, 2011, 04:58:37 AM »

BK, the part that is mounted to the head in the return line is a "restrictive orifice".  According to my manual it is an 0.080 orifice.  I can't imagine why it would have to be changed.  On an Eagle there is not a check valve in the return line - only on the supply line to keep the fuel from being siphoned out of the filters back into the tank.

Jim, I recall reading somewhere that some MCI buses have what is called a "lift pump".  I picture it as an electric pump that is located close to the tank to overcome the "head" caused by the elevation that the fuel has to be lifted to get up and over some path before it gets to the first filter.  You might want to check your manual to see if you have such a pump.  If so, that would be the first place I would check.

Jim

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Somewhere between a tin tent and a finished product
Bus Project details: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog:  http://rvsafetyman.blogspot.com/
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: December 02, 2011, 05:40:17 AM »

BK, the part that is mounted to the head in the return line is a "restrictive orifice".  According to my manual it is an 0.080 orifice.  I can't imagine why it would have to be changed.  On an Eagle there is not a check valve in the return line - only on the supply line to keep the fuel from being siphoned out of the filters back into the tank.
Jim

Jim just throwing ideas out there! I didn't know if the 8V's had them or not. But I know that on our 60 series it was bad and creating a similar situation. Once changed no mo problem.
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: December 02, 2011, 05:44:43 AM »

Ace will your Pro/Link read the version of software his ECM has ?

good luck

Live each day like it was your last,one day it will be
Ace

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: December 02, 2011, 05:58:46 AM »

Clifford I'm not sure, why?

Ace Rossi
Lakeland, Fl. 33810
Prevost H3-40
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: December 02, 2011, 06:34:18 AM »

I was talking with Cole about it not giving any codes on shut down and he was telling me version 151 which he should have with a rebuild from DD if harness wasn't up dated from a 121 version it won't give codes on shutdown.

These thing are complicated with codes ,sub codes ,harnesses ,versions of software and etc lol I found out the Pro/Link and DDDL will only read the primary codes takes the DD software to read and delete the sub codes

good luck
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 06:41:19 AM by luvrbus » Logged

Hard Headed Ken

1988 Prevost Angola Conversion Repowered With 14L Series 60 & Eaton Ultrashift

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: December 02, 2011, 08:10:32 AM »

I've use a test light, volt meter, LED and resistor, scope or what ever I had at the time to comfirm if the injector was receiving the signal to fire. I've done this many times on fuel injected gasoline engines. I've never needed to use this method on a DDEC, but I think it would work. That way you at least you know if the injectors were receiving the electrical signal to fire. If they are firing after the engine dies then it a fuel supply problem, if not it's an electrical problem.

Ken
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 12:02:38 PM by Hard Headed Ken » Logged

Link to my engine swap slide show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxAFFBcoTQI
jimsflx

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: December 02, 2011, 09:38:05 AM »

up date bk we changed the backflo valves,on both lines and changed the fuel lines on the engine,going from first filter to pump, then to second filter and on to the engine,still stopped. so back to electical.thanks jim

jim&roenie seagraves sebring fl. 4106-3083
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: December 02, 2011, 10:01:35 AM »

So easy to take the ECM into a DD dealer and have it read you will go broke chasing problems lol just because you tired another ECM doesn't mean much if you have a bad timing sensor.
DD can dig deep into a ECM with their software 

good luck

robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: December 02, 2011, 10:25:34 AM »

real dumb!!  put & keep a cold wet towel on it see if it (ddec) still shuts down.  Could just be overheating and shutting down.. cool down a few degrees and restart.  Just like any other computer.  reaching here---but simple.

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
Flatspot

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: December 02, 2011, 03:54:13 PM »

Just out of curiosity there has been no discussion about an engine idle shutdown. DDECII has the option for the engine to be shutdown to avoid extended idle.
Is the idle shutdown enabled?

Zuzax, New Mexico (Exit 178 I-40) 12mi East of Albuquerque

1956 PD4104 6-71T
1988 Eagle 15 CC Conversion
1983 Mack W Utility Bed Service Truck (road assistance in New Mexico)
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: December 02, 2011, 04:18:37 PM »

I asked Larry but never got a reply back ? will the fast idle engage on a DDEC 11 if the idle shut down feature is enabled

good luck

Flatspot

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: December 02, 2011, 06:26:57 PM »

Clifford,
I should have known that you would have ask, I missed it.
On the fleet that I worked with, yes but that said there was a way the ECM looked for a input on the power control wiring or brake input signal... I just can't recall specifics other than there were a lot of firmware changes made by Detroit because the drivers had too much time to figure ways around the way the engineers enabled things.
For instance initially they would set the trailer brake to hold the rig and the tractor could idle indefinitely (PTO time in the log) time for a firmware change.
We had a company owner/CEO that wanted a fleet average of 7+mpg and idle time killed the average.
I guess this is a qualified 'yes' depending on the firmware rev of the EEPROM.
Disabling the idle shutdown feature would be a simple fix if that is the reason this engine is shutting down. I wonder if it shuts down while driving?

Larry

Zuzax, New Mexico (Exit 178 I-40) 12mi East of Albuquerque

1956 PD4104 6-71T
1988 Eagle 15 CC Conversion
1983 Mack W Utility Bed Service Truck (road assistance in New Mexico)
Ace

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: December 03, 2011, 01:18:35 AM »

Yes it shut down twice while driving it home a short distance!

The idle shutdown was previously mentioned and checked and was determined to not be the problem. There wasn't a way (at least for me) to turn it on or off via the pro-link although it was listed in the parameters.

Ace Rossi
Lakeland, Fl. 33810
Prevost H3-40
jimsflx

Ignore
« Reply #104 on: December 05, 2011, 03:40:59 PM »

update, took ecm to detroit diesel, no new codes, idel shut down is turn off. they said every thing fine,does anyone know how to turn the hours on the motor to miles? put another restricker in the return fuel line. fired up motor shut down in 10 minutes. thanks jim

jim&roenie seagraves sebring fl. 4106-3083
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: