Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 25, 2014, 11:32:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It can be read on any computer, iPad, smart phone, or compatible device.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The importance of working safetly.......  (Read 2886 times)
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2006, 03:56:19 AM »

MOVED......   

Gary LaBombard
"Rustless Money Pit"

Burford Bros.
on: October 17, 2006, 08:26:18 AM      

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
JR, what exactly is the address of the Chimney Rock Burford Brothers shindig this Saturday.  Love to hear (Wynonna) sing you know.  This would be a kick to go to, email me if you wish the correct address so I can (Map Quest) how to get there from here.  We have no "GPS" as you know, when we left Timmonsville we were talking and talking about the weekend and "I" kept driving on I-95 and ended up driving over 40 miles the wrong way and had to go all the way back almost to Timmonsville to start over again to go the right way.  A short cut back over would have been 1 1/2 hours longer!!!  So, Back we went.  This is true!!  When talking about having a good time makes you drive 80 miles unnecessarly, You must have had a good time!!!  And we all did.

To add to the safety list, David is absolutely correct GLOVES are a necessity at all times.  I have sliced my left  welding glove with my grinder on 8 pair of gloves, that's right 8.  I will not tell you how but will tell you if you remove as much undercarriage as I have with just grinders you are gambling every, every day when laying on your back or kneeling on your hands and knees.  Here is the recommended gloves to wear to protect your hands, I just love playing my new Banjo & Taylor Guitar too.  When I lay on my back at times I actually just say a prayer that I do not let my grinder get away from me and wipe out my face as I have actually had to grind in areas only inches from my face.  So glad when I am done.  Oh, area so tight I could not use a full plastic face shield.  Sometimes you have to take a chance and you will if you have no choice but this is when the accident surely will happen on these type of gambles. 

(1) Gloves to use:
     Grinding,=welding gloves to protect arms and hands from sparks and the cutting wheel if oversized wheels for the design of the grinder are used and should not be but we all do this kind of stuff and this is an accident waiting to happen.

(2)  Handling metal, sheet metal and plate metal, again Welding Gloves to protect hands when the metal slips through your grip and a slice in the gloves is way more pleasureful to look at than a hand full of stitches.

(3)  Just working in shop moving tools etc. and light work I use the cotton gloves with non-slip stuff on both sides of gloves from Harbor Freight that they can be worn on either hand.  (Almost like two sided toilet paper).  Two sides, two uses!!

(4)  I even wear them when cutting the lawn, who cares what the neighbor thinks, the wheel does not slip in my hand and it is more comfortable driving in figure 8's with a good grip.

(5)  Tools, VERY IMPORTANT here and yes I am shouting this.  Get grinders that have dead man switches on them so that you have to activate the safety mechanism for them to come on at your choosing.  Do not, DO NOT get the cheap ones that are on at the flick of a switch and stay on.  I had one of these Chinese type grinders under my bus, it was not plugged in at the time and I was on my back, reached over to use it, saw it was not plugged in and plugged it in.  That darn grinder almost got me but good, I slid out real fast, cold not get to unplug as the grinder was way faster than me but went the opposit direction first to give me an opportunity to get out.   I was using a 1/16" cutting wheel, it would of carved me up but good.  ALWAYS use tools with the dead man's switch feature, never mind the cost cutting here!!!!   

When working on our buses the right approach to every task should be thought of as this and it works for me :Most of the time".  Always say,
HOW CAN I STOP FROM HURTING MYSELF TODAY ON THIS PROJECT!!  Always keep the worst scenerio in your mind,
(1) Losing one or more fingers from non use of gloves, No more guitar or banjo picking here now.

(2) no eye or eyes, from non use of Safety Glasses with side shields.

(3) stitches all over my face or body from lack of protective equipment such as Gloves, glasses, welding jackets, hats.

(4) burned clothes from welding with stringy sexy clothes  or "shorts" to be macho or comfortable in, not wearing a welding jacket to protect your arms and chest area from hot metal sparks and slag when welding or burning or grinding

(5) losss of one toe or foot because of not having on any steel toed shoes.  No more line dancing here for quite some time if ever.

(6) carved up face or body parts because your tools did not have a dead man's switch, (The tool price was great though when purchasing "right", and the tool was manufactured from CHINA),

(7) hearing loss in one or both of your ears from grinding dirt, noise from grinding in hollow metal all day long, pounding on steel framing or plate metal and the reverb was great when doing this.  But at all the bus rally's you start to talk very loud with no speaker system. Doctors love to remove METAL particles from the inner ears, Ear plugs cost $.18 each to me.  Constant noise from radio, grinder, hammering etc. will wear you out even if you don't do anything but just listen without them in your ears.

(  Stitches on top of your head from lack of wearing a hat, that is for whimps, don't want to get your curly hair all messed up and it sure ain't macho when your best friend comes over and sees you in your (Halloween Costume) you might say. 

There is many more scenerio's that fit here but these above effect me every day just as I open up my shop for a full day of work.  This is when I am AlWAYS working alone.  Multiply the above changes for an accident by (2) if you have help and now have to decide to look macho or whimpy in front of your HELP or friend. Does he know how to dial (911)?? just in case"!! 

Accidents surely will still happen but thinking about the above will minimize these accidents and sometimes help prevent those not thought of but before starting one task of any kind, think, "How Can I stop myself from getting hurt" and not thinking "How fast can I get this done!!!!!!!!!

Working with a second person has got to be great but I can easily see how accidents can happen even more easily. One person might be on a time schedule to be with the spouse etc. or getting a little luvin later on and not concentrating on what task you are working on.  You have to then think, do I ask this person to do this or that or wear this or that.  Not everone will be as safety consious as you hopefully are and take their time and remember there is someone else at the other end of a pipe, angle iron, siding or what ever. 

Wow, talk about rambling.  I am gald though that we are doing this, I am sure reading all these posts of accidents and how they may have been prevented may just stick in our minds from here on out while working on our babies!!

Thanks NCBob and ---s for sharing and starting this thread. 

Jr., Don't forget that address so we can come listen to Wynonna and of coarse Terri, John and You.  Great entertainers for sure. 
Sorry for the length of this bugger.

Gary

Last Edit: October 17, 2006, 08:29:33 AM by Gary LaBombard  

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
belfert

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2006, 05:52:36 AM »

The tip on welding gloves with a grinder is a good one.  I've had my share of burns on the forearms from the grinder.  I'm mostly done grinding, but I am sure I will be doing more so I will pick up a pair of welding gloves.

Brian Elfert
NewbeeMC9
NewbeeMC9

1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2006, 08:33:15 PM »

NCBob,

How's the Anonymous Volunteer? 

and is he gonna be around to hand you cronies and read the board to you?

Cool

It's all fun and games til someone gets hurt. Wink
NCbob

"Foolish Pleasure" 35' MC5A

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2006, 08:10:44 AM »

John, the anonymous volunteer seems to have recovered completely, both physically and emotionally...and has left and gone on with his very busy life.

I am just pleased that all worked out well and I wish to thank him again, publicly, for his help.

Sure had my heart in my throat there for a while though....

NCbob

True friends are difficult to find, hard to leave and impossible to forget.
Lee Bradley

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2006, 01:28:55 PM »

I fired 105s for the army and ran logging equipment before and after ... so my hearing is not the best.

My wife likes to check on-coming traffic from the right and reports 'No' or 'Go'; I check the traffic for myself.
Dreamscape

« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2006, 05:23:01 PM »

I totally agree with all, (well almost all) that was said regarding safety.
In my line of work SAFETY is the most important thing a person can do. I experienced the death of a co-worker who did not lock out the equipment. Do not wish that on anyone. So I stress safety at work everyday. You can never be too safe!
For the gentleman not wearing any safety glasses, he could turn out be like the one eyed carpenter. Sure they are a pain, damaging or losing an eye is much worse or a pain.
Just my two cents.

Paul
Connel
Eagle 05 w/Ser60 & HD4060PR

Day Eagle landed & before total rebuild.

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2006, 07:15:36 PM »

Boy - after reading your post I'm kinda glad I work by myself.  No offense but it would be scary to have some of you working around me.

What's the ole saying - something about  You just can't get good help. LOL

Central Oklahoma

Refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: