Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
April 19, 2014, 02:42:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New ownership began September 1st 2012!  Please send any comments to info@busconversions.com
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Flip version of BC magazine  (Read 4428 times)
mak

Southern California location

Ignore
« on: November 14, 2011, 08:58:01 PM »

http://busconversions.com/mag/BCM_November2011/
Here's a link to the November issue in a flip format that we are thinking of using on the new website. Check it out.  and let us know your thoughts. On the next version the ads will link to the advertisers. Were are working on a new classified ad syetme, just sign in with email and write ad, simple I hope.
mak

I may have started it, but you'll have to finish it!
Located in So CA (Orange County)
Mex-Busnut

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 09:24:09 PM »

Thanks for working to keep this great magazine alive!

I found the new flip format not much to my liking, since I have a sl-o-o-o-w internet connection and simply flipping pages took quite a while to load. If I had a fast connection and was using a larger desktop screen, I would probably like it just fine. (Instead I use mostly an 8.9-inch Acer Aspire One. They call them "netbooks" or "mini notebooks".)

Also, the downloadable PDF format you have been using seems easier to use on my Android phone.

My two pesos' worth. 

Dr. Steve, San Juan del Río, Querétaro, Mexico, North America, Planet Earth, Milky Way.
1981 Dina Olímpico (Flxible Flxliner clone), 6V92TA Detroit Diesel
Rockwell model RM135A 9-speed manual tranny.
Jake brakes
100 miles North West of Mexico City, Mexico. 6,800 feet altitude.
tuccitown

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 10:25:30 PM »

The insulation article still appears to be cutoff in both formats. My two cents...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
1979 GMC H8H649-053 Conversion in progress
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rick59-4104

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 12:20:24 AM »

Right hand side of page is cut off on my mine, tried several things to get the page on screen, no go. Changed to 75%, tried 125% still not getting the entire page, it's 2:30 AM maybe thats my problem.

Rick

NW Arkansas
1959 GM 4104  No. 4115
1972 Grumman Kurbmaster Stepvan Conversion
1957 Airstream 13 panel Overlander
Kevin Warnock

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 01:21:04 AM »

I like it, but I suggest making the page turning sound 'off' by default. It's loud and doesn't sound like a page being turned sounds. I still think the PDF should be offered as well at the same price so subscribers get both automatically, because I have faith I will be able to read a PDF from today in 20 years. This online magazine company you're using for display, I have faith they won't be here in 20 years.

I have Radio Shack catalogs from 30 years ago that I keep for nostalgia. I'm sure I'll do the same with all my BCM magazines. PDF has been around a long time, and it's entrenched. It will be here in 20 years I am certain.

I say that even if Adobe shuts down or is acquired.

Kevin Warnock
http://kevinwarnock.com - my blog
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2011, 01:56:18 AM »

The file appears complete to me so it's interesting to hear that other people are having problems viewing the whole thing.

I hadn't come across 'aXmag' before, but there is lots of this sort of DIY software out there. I can't immediately see the 'save' or 'print' options in the aXmag interface - it's usual for a heavily watermarked PDF version to be available through the Flash interface, but you might have turned this option off.

For the paid version of BCM you might consider the different approach of using a digital magazine bureau (I would suggest Yudu or Issuu) - as well as technical advantages (hosting, more robust software, automatic publication in PC / iPad / Android versions etc) your publication is also made available for sale through their outlets (ie. website and Apps), which gives you greater exposure and the opportunity for a new income stream.

Different bureaus use different pricing models so it's worth looking at several to see what will be most cost effective for BCM. The big boys in the market are of course Zinio, who in turn offer further sales advantages (eg, they have an army of affiliates taking their product feed and working hard to sell everything in it via thousands of other websites).

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
Peter_Crowl

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2011, 03:59:21 AM »

I prefer it to the PDF if only because you can see the full spread as opposed to its being cut into single page views as the PDF.
This provider does seem slow. I've not seen a flip page magazine do that white page -load bar thing elsewhere.
Really made the magazine pop though!
grantgoold

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2011, 04:48:52 AM »

PDF all the way! I have the ability to search all the files and pull only the articles with key words. Makes searching a specific topic very easy.

Keep up the good work. It is always nice to see the ownership willing to try new things to meet the needs of customers.

Cool Shocked Sad Grin Cheesy

Grant

Grant Goold
1984 MCI 9
Way in Over My Head!
Citrus Heights, California
jbnewman

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2011, 05:09:04 AM »

Running on Linux, with Chrome, displaying to a 23" monitor, it was beautiful.

-jbn

-jbn
Justin
Chicago, Illinois

No bus.
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2011, 05:39:25 AM »

PDF all the way! I have the ability to search all the files and pull only the articles with key words. Makes searching a specific topic very easy.

That only works with certain types of PDF of course (or, to be more accurate, PDFs that are created in a certain way). It should certainly always be possible with PDFs created directly from the original source material, as in the case of current and future BCM issues. But it probably wouldn't be the case (unless labourious extra work was done) if older BCM issues were scanned and turned into PDFs.

Either way, the Flash page-flipper interfaces usually have the search facility built into them, although not in this case apparently. And another advantage of the bureau-type service I mentioned earlier is that you can then search the entire library, not just individual issues.

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2011, 05:48:07 AM »

Bells and whistles don't make a magazine Mike.  I quit subscribing because I was reading the same old articles by the same old authors.  Its content that makes a magazine. 

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
Jerry32

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2011, 05:59:30 AM »

It worked very well on my setup but with a 15 inch monitor it was to small to read. and ditto on bobof the north

1988 MCI 102A3 8V92TA 740
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2011, 06:05:05 AM »

Same here Bob you can dress a pig just so many ways

Live each day like it was your last,one day it will be
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2011, 06:15:38 AM »

Would rather spend bus money on bus than buy equipment to make it possible for me to read mag on.  You are to high tech with this online crap!  Computer Dumb!  You are pushing many of us away for good.   Bob     Enjoy computer savy guys

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
MEverard

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2011, 06:19:15 AM »

I like the fact you see the whole magazine diplayed. My computer had no trouble flipping the pages and my screen is large enough that I could easily read it. I like this the best for me. I do like the pdf so that I can save it forever. I did save this format but I'm guessing it is only as good as the web page stays active. I like the fact you are trying to improve the viewing pleasure. More people might read it online if it is easy to do. However, I like my print copies best of all.

Mike

Mike Everard
1960 GMC PD4104-4520
Antioch, CA
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: