Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 31, 2014, 09:31:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It takes up much less space in your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Oil Prices  (Read 1944 times)
luvrbus

Ignore
« on: November 16, 2011, 01:17:32 PM »

Guys fill that baby up oil was headed up $102 a barrel today hello 5 bucks a gal diesel shortly and I may be stuck with all these Canadians lol

good luck
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 01:19:45 PM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
Seayfam

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 01:31:39 PM »

Oh great!!! I've been paying close to that for 2 years now. That means I'm going to see 6.00 a gal. Thank you EPA

Gary Seay (location Alaska)
1969 MCI MC-6 unit# 20006
8V92 turbo 740 auto
more pics and information here     "  www.my69mci-6.blogspot.com  "
Rick59-4104

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2011, 03:40:30 PM »

Don't forget to thank the commodity futures traders, I blame the commodity market much more than the EPA.

Rick

NW Arkansas
1959 GM 4104  No. 4115
1972 Grumman Kurbmaster Stepvan Conversion
1957 Airstream 13 panel Overlander
Oonrahnjay

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2011, 04:20:55 PM »

Don't forget to thank the commodity futures traders, I blame the commodity market much more than the EPA.   Rick   

Apparently, some distributing company bought a Texas pipeline recently and redirected the oil from Gulf of Mexico that normally travels that pipeline to mid-Western refiners to refineries that will pay them more money for it.  So, they "corner the market", make a killing, and we all pay for it.  Many of the commodity futures traders are screwing with things (but it was wonderful to see so many of them get totally burned when the market crashed from $150 bbl to $80 bbl a few months ago), but this is a big part of what's happening now.  Also, Asian economies are moving out of the recession quicker than the US and they're buying up a lot of crude and "distillates" (i.e. diesel fuel).  Plus, a big chunk of the diesel fuel that refined in the US is being sold overseas now because the market is better there -- that's right, the US taxpayer pays big money to have oil companies import crude and then those companies sell the refined products overseas and push the price up here.  And the cold snap and snow in New England a couple of weeks ago caused a run on Home Heating Oil which caused local shortages.

It all adds up.  EPA is a small part of it -- but IMO, they shouldn't be ANY part of it; if they're a part of MY government, they shouldn't be doing ANYTHING to push the price of my fuel up!

Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long
6-cyl, 4-stroke, Leyland O-680 engine

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2011, 05:13:34 PM »

I find it interesting that locally gasoline prices are still declining even as crude is back at $100.  The last time crude was at $100 gasoline prices were a lot higher locally.

Diesel on the other hand is going through the roof.  Diesel is at least $1 a gallon more than regular at every station I've seen.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
ryoo

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2011, 05:20:49 PM »

What crap this news is. cost less for refine it but still cost more to buy. Whats next?
Brassman

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2011, 06:06:57 PM »

Diesel always goes up in heating season, Europe burns diesel in cars, and traders make bets. We pay.
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2011, 07:01:22 PM »

Yes, diesel prices go up in winter, but a $1 a gallon premium over gasoline is pretty high.

I had a diesel car in the mid 2000s.  I remember a time when diesel was $1.549 a gallon for three months at one station.  I don't recall what gasoline cost at the time, but it certainly didn't stay the same for three months.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 05:06:51 AM by belfert » Logged

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Rick59-4104

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2011, 12:33:16 AM »

On my nightly USPS Mail Truck Run I watch the daily price change of gas and diesel along I-40.  At the 125 exit there are 5 stations I watch.  The price of gas went down 2 cents a gallon in the last 24 hours, diesel went up 23 cents at each station today.

Rick

NW Arkansas
1959 GM 4104  No. 4115
blank

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2011, 12:56:30 AM »

No use complaining, we're never going to do anything about it.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2011, 03:37:30 AM »

Blame it on whoever it's your worthless dollar and 15 trillion in debt the best is yet to come IMO RV's can be parked but old Joe going to work (if he has a job) to take care of his family is a different story

good luck

Oonrahnjay

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2011, 08:29:03 AM »

On my nightly USPS Mail Truck Run I watch the daily price change of gas and diesel along I-40.  At the 125 exit there are 5 stations I watch.  The price of gas went down 2 cents a gallon in the last 24 hours, diesel went up 23 cents at each station today.
Rick 

Yeah, it's OK, AR, MO, KS that are supposed to be getting hit the hardest by the new "pipeline reversal" where the new owners are shipping oil in the opposite direction.

Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long
6-cyl, 4-stroke, Leyland O-680 engine

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)
Eagle

1985 Eagle

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2011, 11:16:01 AM »

You can blame it on whom ever you want but in this country there is only one thing to look at:  GREED!!!!!!!!!& GREED!!!!!
buddydawg

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2011, 11:30:32 AM »

You can blame it on whom ever you want but in this country there is only one thing to look at:  GREED!!!!!!!!!& GREED!!!!!

I agree. The greed comes directly from our elected officials, they can never get enough of our money to spend as they see necessary.  This effectively drives the price of all goods and services through the roof.

1972 GMC T6H-5308A #024

Brandon Stewart - Martinez, GA
Seayfam

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2011, 11:44:04 AM »

I agree. The greed comes directly from our elected officials, they can never get enough of our money to spend as they see necessary.  This effectively drives the price of all goods and services through the roof.

AMEN  Wink

Gary Seay (location Alaska)
1969 MCI MC-6 unit# 20006
8V92 turbo 740 auto
more pics and information here     "  www.my69mci-6.blogspot.com  "
Joe Camper

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2011, 12:39:54 PM »

We can no longer overlook all the other combined expences of owning one of these campers including fuel, when it costs 80 cents plus per mile for the cost of fuel alone.

I know we are not alone.

Signing off from Cook County Ill. where the dead vote, frequently.
Rick59-4104

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2011, 02:02:55 PM »

Diesel gets to $4.50 plus (I know in parts of the country it is already there) prices of everything goes up even more than now, economy crashes again, fuel drops to under $2.00 gallon like 3 years ago, economy starts to improve, fuel prices go up, economy crashes, repeat, repeat, repeat.

Meanwhile our members of Congress (who I believe are responsible for most of the economic mess we are in) has a positive approval rating about 15% but a reelection rate of about 98% keeps on sticking it to us. We keep on sending these self serving idiots back to Washington. If they are in office vote them out. I can look at most of them and tell they are snakes.

Rick

NW Arkansas
1959 GM 4104  No. 4115
Paladin
Dave Knight

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2011, 02:04:25 PM »

I'm watching the prices with interest. I've watched silver drop nearly 10% in two days and gold about 3%. These may not seem like much but to a small investor it can be scary. I've considered oil but it seems more volatile than metals and selling my soul to the guys who are killing me price wise. Maybe bad attitude for investing..
I can only hope that the metals go up and oil comes down, what's the chances of that happening? They'll all go up eventually is my bet.

As it pertains to a bus, rv or suv we've decided that we'll just have to suck it up and go with it. Too many other reasons right now to keep the bus and the suv even if we can't go far, as often or at all.

'75 MC-8   'Event Horizon'
8V71  HT740
Salt Lake City, Utah

"Have bus will travel read the card of the man, a Knight without armor in a savage land...."
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2011, 02:27:05 PM »

2 ways to buy oil and fuel ,oil and fuel contract and the put option it not has risky as one thinks oil closed at 98 bucks a barrel because of profit takers tomorrow is another day

good luck

bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2011, 02:37:35 PM »

It would be great if everybody who thinks fuel prices go up straight line forever and the traders always make money would just go ahead and buy calls. 

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2011, 02:43:40 PM »

Get greedy it can cost you lol buying 2 unit of diesel and the min of 1000 barrels of oil it can wipe you out 1 unit of diesel is the same in gals as a 1000 barrels or a rail car tank

good luck
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 02:52:04 PM by luvrbus » Logged

Paladin
Dave Knight

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2011, 03:28:55 PM »

2 ways to buy oil and fuel ,oil and fuel contract and the put option it not has risky as one thinks oil closed at 98 bucks a barrel because of profit takers tomorrow is another day

good luck

I'm too chicken s!$#, I can't run with the big dogs. I'm too "safe" and unwilling to gamble big. I don't even play the tables in Vegas anymore after losing a hundred dollars (profit, I still had my initial playing money) for the first time after winning so much more so many times. It left a bad taste in my mouth for gambling.  Besides, I don't have enough cash to play in those leagues, just small time and will probably always be.
Also, oil seems so volatile to me. Up and down 50 times a day and influenced by so many things, you never knowing where it'll land. Knowing me I'd get in right before a huge crash which would be great for us with our buses etc but disastrous to me financially. I like gold and silver I can actually hold and pet.......so lovely my pretty.....
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 03:32:48 PM by Paladin » Logged

'75 MC-8   'Event Horizon'
8V71  HT740
Salt Lake City, Utah

"Have bus will travel read the card of the man, a Knight without armor in a savage land...."
Rick59-4104

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2011, 03:48:50 PM »

If a speculator had to have the facilities to actually take possession of any crude he bought on the market gas/diesel prices would probably be under $2.00 a gallon. This would limit speculation to those in the oil industry and then it would be truly free market/supply and demand setting the price we pay. As it is supply and demand has very little to do with the price.

Rick
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 05:17:34 PM by Rick59-4104 » Logged

NW Arkansas
1959 GM 4104  No. 4115
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2011, 04:55:35 PM »

I agree.  I would love to see one of those super tankers pull up to pier 11 and ask Merrill Lynch where they want their oil.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2011, 06:19:58 PM »

There is a chain of gas stations called First Fuel Banks in St. Cloud, MN that allows one to prepurchase fuel at a fixed price.  You deposit money into an account and the price of fuel on the day you deposit the money is the price you pay until your deposit is exhausted.  A few years back they said they had customers still paying 99 cents a gallon.

The catch is the price for prepaying for fuel is very high.  The per gallon price today for gasoline is $3.99 while drive up customers pay $3.19 a gallon.  You essentially have to have a lot of money you can deposit and not use until fuel prices go up.  It is unclear what happens if fuel prices never hit the price you paid for.  I guess you end up losing money.

I live 80 miles from St. Cloud so this won't work for me.  I don't have a ton of money I afford to gamble with anyhow.

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: