Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 29, 2014, 01:43:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: By clicking on any ad, a hotlink takes you directly to the advertiserís website.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Remote radiator or not?  (Read 1463 times)
"The Norm"

Ignore
« on: November 20, 2011, 09:00:59 PM »

We are getting ready to install a 15kw diesel generator in the drivers side first bay. My question is should I relocate the generator radiator to the old ac evap bay or leave with it with the generator? We have a squirell cage fan to input air into the generator bay and also need to know the size I should make the exhaust holes for the bay. Is it possible to use PVC pipes in an "S" configuration to limit the noise travel? Sorry for all the questions...just trying to weigh all of the possibilities.

Thanks for the help!!!

1989 MCI 96A3 - 8V92TA - 4spd Auto
The conversion has started.
scanzel

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 05:58:18 AM »

I am keeping my radiator with the gen as I see no need to create more work and complexity and plumbing. It's a personal choice. But if using a squirrel cage for intake air make sure the exhaust air has enough holes to exit the air being taken, otherwise there will be back pressure.

Steve Canzellarini
Berlin, CT
1989 Prevost XL
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2011, 07:03:57 AM »

Having a transit bus with limited spaces to mount a 10kw genset, I created a gen cabinet next to the driver's seat (like a front engine).  The space was just big enough for the genset, but not for the radiator.  I made my own radiator fan out of a single inlet squirrel cage blower from Graingers.  I sized it to just fit under the floor (have 22" height available).  It uses a 1/2hp 2spd totally enclosed fan cooled motor.  High speed for during the day and low speed for nearly silent operation if needed at night (like hot summer night boon docking). For ventilation of the cabinet I used an 8" inline bathroom fan and split it into 2-6" ducts.  The generator is mounted with the engine facing back.  The ventilation ducts blow in right on the alternator and have two more 6" screened (to keep the critters out) ducts at the back. It's extremely hard to make a blade radiator fan quiet.  My generator is much quieter then Onan's "quiet" generators.  Remember-there's no such thing as a too quiet genset. Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Geoff

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2011, 08:45:05 AM »

If you keep the genset fan and blow the air out the side of the bus it will be noisy as can be.  The radiator should be remote box mounted with a squirrel cage fan, and the genset should be in a sound-proof enclosure with another fan. Carefully route the exhaust so it won't cause a fire, put a small automotive diesel muffler on it and so on and the generator won't drive you and your camping neighbors crazy!

Geoff
'82 RTS AZ
wal1809

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2011, 11:02:41 AM »

Remote mounted was the best thing I ever did.  There are no more overheat issues to deal with any longer.  My readiator is in the black box and air exits the floor.  The next photo is the gen itself.  I do not have it in a box because it simply is not loud enough to hear anyway.  I have a flex pipe going through the floor and the muffler and tail pipes are fastened to the underside of the bus.

1984 Silver Eagle Model 10 6V92 Allison auto tranny
www.snakebreaker.com
Marcus

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2011, 03:52:14 PM »

I put my 15kw genny in the front bay drivers side and cut hole between front bay and old a/c evap. I have the generator
end inside a/c evap compartment. That gave me enough room in the bay to build a shroud from radiator to hole in floor .
The old a/c evap door with screen in it allows air flow over genny then to radiator. Also have my house batts and inverter in there. Air flow keeps every thing cool. In 6 years genny has never been over 190 degrees even if the bus is sitting still in 100 degree weather. Never have to open bay door to keep genny cool. Works for me. Marc
"The Norm"

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2011, 04:34:49 AM »

Thanks for the suggestions! I am going to put the radiator in the old ac bay. Seems to make the most sense. I have the original screen on the evap door so should I build some type of shield for the fan that to protect it from weather?

1989 MCI 96A3 - 8V92TA - 4spd Auto
The conversion has started.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: