Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 29, 2014, 04:04:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You will not have to go out in the rain, sleet, hail, or snow to retrieve it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Offer to trade...Advice please...  (Read 3465 times)
thejumpsuitman

'79/'97 Eagle 05

Ignore
« on: November 25, 2011, 10:05:15 AM »

We have a 1974 Wanderlodge that we need to sell since we now have the Eagle.  We have been listing it for sale for about a year with tepid interest.  We are planning to move to AZ after the first of the year and we didn't want to take both buses. 

I have been offered an even trade for a 1987 Ford CF8000 cabover box truck with 20' pup trailer.  The truck has a new diesel Alliance crate engine and transmission.

We will be renting a small shop near Kingman to work out and  will we staying in the Eagle for the foreseeable future.  Having the box truck would definitely allow me to take a lot more equipment that I might otherwise have to sell and re-buy in the future and would put an end to the disagreements between the wife and I over what is important to take... Roll Eyes

I was thinking that I could just sell the box truck after the move, and maybe sell the pup trailer before the move.  Does this sound like a good plan?... Or am I missing something?  I'm not sure I can pull the trailer because I think you need a CDL.

The truck has been in regular service and the owner said it recently made a round trip to California.  Intriguing offer, just though I would ask what you good folks thought.

Marc

"Life is like a game of Pool... No matter how bad it looks, you take your shot."
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2011, 10:31:53 AM »

Sounds like a sweet deal to me.

You get a moving truck & trailer, and ready made storage once you land.
Also if you relocate again in the near future you still have the truck & trailer for moving.

If it were me I'd hang onto the trailer and hire a cdl driver to drive it, or find a friend with one and pay his expenses and flight back home.

Both the truck & trailer will make awesome storage units and are mobile. You could put stuff that will not be needed in the near future in the trailer and leave the truck for stuff used regularly or even keep it useable to haul stuff in.

And the best part is you get the Wonderlodge gone, and a truck to move with and no $ has to change hands!
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
viento1

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2011, 10:41:16 AM »

I purchased a truck a few years ago from Florida. When I attempted to bring it home I had issues at several inspection stops. It cost a small fortune to get it home. Life is so much easier when your large vehicle is an RV. Just make sure it is in better shape than the POS that I ended up with Smiley

Ok, it's time to go on another road trip.
www.randalclark.com
MC5
Ralph7

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2011, 01:32:38 PM »

A good inspection on both and a large NOT for HIRE on both and check with local to see if you need CDL for driving it as a unit not for hire.
   Cut in some windows add air beds, canp stove, washbasin, 5gallon water contaiers. camp portapot, RV plates ??
   Next fill with your tools and move. No joke it worked for me.
Rick59-4104

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2011, 03:21:11 PM »

You might want to check on license fee's and insurance costs, over 26001 gross weight calls for at least a class B tag and a class B tag calls for a Class B CDL, DOT Registration Numbers and the annual DOT inspections of the truck and your records at your home or shop, DOT Safety Inspection Stickers, and proper identification lettering IF you are crossing state lines in the truck. You get into a lot more requirements when you are driving Interstate than when you remain in the state you are tagged in. It is my understanding it does not matter if it is not for hire or not..... The guys in uniform at the weight stations are not your friends. I recently sold a 1988 C-8000 with a flat equipment bed, truck was a former State Foresty truck with 41,000 miles. Had a 3208 Cat and Allision, sold the truck for $3500, must have been priced pretty close to right as it took me about 3 weeks to sell it but i did get my asking price on it.

Over 26001 pounds and you will either have to have a IFTA sticker or a trip permit for each state you go thru. The gross weight of the truck/trailer will determine a lot. Not sure about the requirements for the trip permits but you need to know if you will need them or not. My brother and I took his 10 wheel dumptruck (we both have Class A Drivers License's) and a 24" dovetail trailer from Arkansas to Florida a year ago and hauled a 28' Wanderlodge back, we had to have the trip tickets for each state we passed thru, the bus weighted 19,000, we were about 45,00 gross.  We also had to keep logbooks .It can get complicated when you start taking trucks/trailers interstate, first weight station and things not in order you will be put out of service. Does the truck have air brakes? Driving a truck with air brakes is different than driving a bus with air brakes in the eyes of the DOT. Again I am not up on the laws for this particular truck/trailer but if I was going to drive the truck out of state it I would be Wink

I would want to see the receipts for the new engine/transmission. Does the truck have a lot of miles?  3208 Cat?? Lots of things to consider, but people rent U-Haul trucks all the time just stay under the weight that would put you in a Class B situation.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 03:47:10 PM by Rick59-4104 » Logged

NW Arkansas
1959 GM 4104  No. 4115
1972 Grumman Kurbmaster Stepvan Conversion
1957 Airstream 13 panel Overlander
thejumpsuitman

'79/'97 Eagle 05

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2011, 03:32:58 PM »

Thanks Rick,  that's just the kind of info I need.  I will certainly find out what the laws are as that might be a deal killer.

I am certain I will not be pulling the trailer.  We were already planning to pare our possessions to what will fit under the bus, so the box truck itself would be more than enough room for everything else.

Perhaps the owner can offer some answers as to the requirements and weight, etc.

Thanks,
Marc

"Life is like a game of Pool... No matter how bad it looks, you take your shot."
TedsBUSted

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2011, 03:35:38 PM »

Jumpsuit - The truck probably has the much-shunned Brazilian diesel engine and hydraulic-release  parking brakes Also the cab's not too popular with those who will typicality re-fit an older truck, farmers for example, so that  limits resale too. Sorry to say, but overall it's one of the coldest used trucks around. Better figure the  value at whatever its actual use is worth to you; when you're done you'll have to beg to get over a grand for it. Its bus equal might be an all-steel gas powered bookmobile. IMHO and experience.

From the limited description of the trailer, I can't form an opinion on that.

Ted
« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 03:47:51 PM by TedsBUSted » Logged

Bus polygamist. Always room for another, especially 04 or 06 are welcome. NE from Chicago, across the pond.
Rick59-4104

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2011, 03:42:45 PM »

Anything (other than a bus or RV) over 26001 pounds will require a Class B Commercial Tag and all the nightmares that go with that and at least a Class B CDL. And I think that is not what you are hauling when they check you but what the truck is RATED to haul.

Rick
« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 03:45:15 PM by Rick59-4104 » Logged

NW Arkansas
1959 GM 4104  No. 4115
gcyeaw

1983 Bluebird Forward Control

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2011, 04:01:55 PM »

Marc,
   Where have you been trying to sell your Wanderlodge? Do you have any pictures? I, myself, am not interested, but perhaps there are others on this form or other forums like the WanderlodgeOwnersGroup forum that might be interested.

Gardner
1983 Bluebird FC.
Rick59-4104

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2011, 04:58:18 PM »

Was having a hard time with my previous post, about half way thru my typing I looked in the living room. Laying on an area rug in front of the wood stove was Choco, my Chocolate Lab, along side Choco her 7 week old pup with my granddaughters pink pacifier in her mouth. Both fast asleep.  Cheesy

Not an attemt to drift the thread but it was a sight to see.

Rick

NW Arkansas
1959 GM 4104  No. 4115
thejumpsuitman

'79/'97 Eagle 05

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2011, 05:05:08 PM »

Was having a hard time with my previous post, about half way thru my typing I looked in the living room. Laying on an area rug in front of the wood stove was Choco, my Chocolate Lab, along side Choco her 7 week old pup with my granddaughters pink pacifier in her mouth. Both fast asleep.  Cheesy

Not an attemt to drift the thread but it was a sight to see.

Rick

You give us that cute description without a picture Rick?  Geez... Roll Eyes

Kubla

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2011, 05:15:14 PM »

join and list your wanderlodge here http://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/index.php

the word will get around

1982 Blue Bird Wanderlodge FC35SB
Cincinnati, Ohio
thejumpsuitman

'79/'97 Eagle 05

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2011, 05:18:32 PM »

Okay, looks like this truck might not be the model 8000 after all.   I tried to ID it by photo but they made a bunch of different configurations of that body.  It seems some of those box trucks were actually under 26K lbs and he certainly led me to believe this one was.  He actually said he could drive the truck itself but he, himself could not pull the trailer with it because he would need the endorsement for it.

I'm not sure what engine it has, but at thedieselstop.com forum they are saying those Brazilian engines were good engines.

http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/f12/ford-cargo-7000-a-11236/

thejumpsuitman

'79/'97 Eagle 05

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2011, 05:27:00 PM »

join and list your wanderlodge here http://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/index.php

the word will get around

I might do that.  I've had it on vintagebirds.com for about a year and regularly on Craigslist.  I've had a ton of interest and a LOT of trade offers, just no cash offers.  Now, we're just about out of time and we really don't want to be stuck with it when it's time to go.  It would cost us about $1,400 in gas just to drive it from here to AZ.  We have been facing with the possibility of having to do just that, but we would sure hate to...  Especially since it has virtually no storage and it wouldn't offer much of anything in that capacity.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 05:30:47 PM by thejumpsuitman » Logged

thejumpsuitman

'79/'97 Eagle 05

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2011, 06:22:14 PM »

Got some more info... EW is 14,000, GVWR is 33,000.  It has a documented new crate 7.8 diesel Ford engine with 33K mi.

Looks like a class b license is necessary no matter what.

Marc
« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 07:01:43 PM by thejumpsuitman » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: