Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 20, 2014, 04:30:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 500 Members as of May 5th, 2006.  Smiley  3,499 Members as of October 21, 2012 Cheesy

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Air Discharge Hose  (Read 915 times)
travlinman

Ignore
« on: November 25, 2011, 03:09:15 PM »

Hey Guys,

So I went ahead and removed my Air Discharge Hose to check for excessive oil from my compressor. The inside of the hose looks fine, but the hose itself is really old and stiff. I think I will go ahead and replace it while it is off. Now the question is where do I get one of these or are they all custom made??  Here are a couple of pics...

TM

Steve & Kristen Full time nomads since '06 - PD4106-674  8V71/V730
roadrunnertex

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2011, 03:27:01 PM »

Time to call Luke at US Coach Parts  Grin
888-262-2434
Ask for Luke. Grin
Bill B /bus

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2011, 04:11:07 PM »

That metal is stiff. Does it leak? If not put it back where you found it.
Metal hose is there to reject the heat of compression so that the compressed air is cooled before entering the drier.

Bill

Bill & Lynn
MCI102A3, Series 50 w/HT70
TedsBUSted

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2011, 06:00:58 PM »

That's a common stainless reinforced compressor discharge hose.
In-stock Teflon piece at practically any truck parts.
Probably under $50 retail. IF you decide to replace it now.

Ted

Bus polygamist. Always room for another, especially 04 or 06 are welcome. NE from Chicago, across the pond.
travlinman

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2011, 06:44:19 PM »

Hey guy thanks for the replies...

Tex - I have given Luke a fair amount of business this year but for this item I would prefer to but it locally as I am on the left coast.

Bill - The hose is what I would call crispy, it is so stiff I cannot even bend it and the metal braiding is split in many spots making it a bit hard to handle. To me it is a drama waiting to happen. I'm leaning towards getting a new one as I hate to put worn out parts back on.

Ted - Thanks for the info, I've got 3 truck supply houses nearby so I will be hitting them up on monday.

TM

Oonrahnjay

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2011, 07:22:10 PM »

(snip)  The hose is what I would call crispy, it is so stiff I cannot even bend it and the metal braiding is split in many spots (snip)

T-man, my bus is different from most of what the rest of you have in almost every detail but mine has a metal pipe for about 12 feet from the compressor to the "oil condensor" (no air dryer) and then another 6' metal pipe over to the unloader valve (no governor on mine).  The pipe at the compressor has a corrugated "radiator" cooling fin flange for the first 6 feet or so.  I can't imagine a pipe that will get "crispy" and I can't imagine metal braiding (unless you're calling braiding what I'm calling corrugated fins).  Is there any chance in it's past, someone has replaced the original factory pipe with one that's not as good -- and now you're paying the price for it as it deteriorated?

I'd check to see what the factory original was like and be sure that your replacement is like it.

Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long
6-cyl, 4-stroke, Leyland O-680 engine

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2011, 07:46:56 PM »

Teflon or Silicone hose with the s/s shield is pretty much the norm like Ted described you are supposed to keep the discharge air temperatures under 400 degrees.

When you have a leaky system the compressor works outside the 25% duty cycle where it was design to operate the air gets hotter and will make a hose well done and crispy

good luck 

Life is short drink the good wine first
travlinman

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2011, 09:11:59 PM »

Clifford - I think you nailed the reason for my crispy hose. When I bought this bus it had a lot of air leaks. The PO was a run it till it drops kind of guy. The compressor ran nearly continuously to keep up. After a lot of PM I have it down to where I wonder if I am using any air at all and then I hear the purge valve open just to remind me that the system still works.

TM

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: