Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 20, 2014, 02:41:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Space Below the Floor  (Read 1844 times)
Tikvah

Ignore
« on: November 28, 2011, 06:30:32 AM »

As I'm finishing off the floors in my conversion I keep thinking about the 6" x 16" tunnel that runs most of the length of the coach.  Has anyone ever put a floor hatch in and used that space for storage?

Originally, I thought I would use that for running wires and water lines, but so far, all the mechanical stuff seems to be running through the bays, or along the wall conduits. 

What's your thoughts?

Dave

I couldn't repair my brakes, so I made my horn louder.
1989 MCI-102 A3
DD 6V92 Turbo, Alison
Tons of stuff to learn!
Started in Cheboygan, Michigan (near the Mackinaw Bridge).  Now home is anywhere we park
Scott Bennett
Scott & Heather MCI-9

Scott & Heather

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 06:35:52 AM »

I just stuffed mine full of insulation. Keeps the floor of the walkway center aisle of the coach a tiny bit warmer.

Scott & Heather
1984 MCI9 6V92-turbo with 9 inch roof raise & conversion in progress.
http://www.scottmichaelbennett.com/p/our-bus.html
˙ǝɯoɔlǝʍ suoıʇɐuop ˙snq ʍǝu ɐ pǝǝu ʎlqɐqoɹd ll,ǝʍ 'sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
Joe Camper

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 06:37:31 AM »

On a submarine every last inch of space is used. Somewhere I saw an older one and they had stored canned food stock below removable floor panels.

Signing off from Cook County Ill. where the dead vote, frequently.
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 06:47:13 AM »

secure fire arm storage?

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 07:34:25 AM »

I have a similar tunnel, although not quite as deep as yours by the sound of it. I've had three ideas for stuff which could go into that space, none of which are firm yet:

1) A ladder (just stored beneath a simple long hatch).

2) Some sort of device which folds up from the floor and converts the couch into a bed (or it could be an occasional table etc).

3) A fabric screen-divider thingy which would partition the bus into two sections on those occasions when guests were sleeping in the front couch-bed. This last idea came to me when I realised what an incredibly neat device the electric rear-window blind is in my BMW - and started me thinking of reasons to build a much bigger version.

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
white-eagle

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2011, 11:15:36 AM »

secure fire arm storage?

And you, in Canada, would know about and be concerned about this why??   Grin Grin Grin Grin

My tunnel had stuff in it, so i left it alone.  We cut the boards so we could get to it, but still covered it with the carpet which we'll cut and make it accessible if we ever really do need to get into it.

Tom
1991 Eagle 15 and proud of it.
8V92T, 740, Fulltime working on the road.

Fran was called to a higher duty 12/16/13. I lost my life navigator.
Kenny

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2011, 01:01:56 PM »

How about using it to store water in a long bladder tank using maybe fire hoses

Just a dumb thought

1941 and 1945 Flxible - South Lyon, Michigan
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2011, 01:29:13 PM »

I ended up keeping my bus a/c and heat and also tied my basement air into the tunnel, but I did some serious consideration on this subject. I thought of several
possibilities, most of which have been mentioned in previous responses to this thread. I thought it would make a great place to put freah water tanks, but decided
against that due to potential maintenance needs and not being able to access them again. Then, I considered storage. I thought you could make trays on wheels that
could be pulled or pushed along the tunnel and have two or more openings in the floor for access. You'd pull or push the trays to it to where you want. Maybe each tray
was 2-3 times the length of the opening. Even considered cutting access holes into the tunnel from the bays. Ultimately, it remained in place for air and heat usage.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2011, 01:55:02 PM »

Maybe I am thinking of the wrong thing - the tunnel in my bus is chock full of AC freon lines, air lines, shifter and clutch rods, and that throttle cable...  Ain't no room for nothing!  Where is this tunnel that you all have and I don't?

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2011, 03:02:27 PM »

Where is this tunnel that you all have and I don't?

I'm referring to the dropped centre aisle between the seats. It won't become a tunnel until a flat floor is built over the top of it.

My bus is different to everyone else's on here, but a centre aisle is commonplace - so trying to find a use for it post-conversion must be a fairly normal scenario

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2011, 04:59:54 PM »

Quote from: Jeremy
I'm referring to the dropped centre aisle between the seats. It won't become a tunnel until a flat floor is built over the top of it.

My bus is different to everyone else's on here, but a centre aisle is commonplace - so trying to find a use for it post-conversion must be a fairly normal scenario
Jeremy

Jeremy your bus is like a Setra and there is a way to build your interior and eliminate this tunnel (or need for it) by widening it out toward the walls and building the furniture and cabinets on it so that no one but you will know it ever had a "drop aisle" and you'll have more head room to boot as well.
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2011, 05:35:29 PM »

Jeremy your bus is like a Setra and there is a way to build your interior and eliminate this tunnel (or need for it) by widening it out toward the walls and building the furniture and cabinets on it so that no one but you will know it ever had a "drop aisle" and you'll have more head room to boot as well.
Grin  BK  Grin

That's absolutely correct, and for a long time was my plan. In the end though I decided raising the roof was actually less work. For one thing I was worried about how substantial the sides of the centre aisle were - they're made up of two very chunky aluminium extrusions, and while I don't think they're structural they would none-the-less be tricky things to start fiddling with. Plus the fact that, because my bus is mid-engined, there's lots of pipework and wiring underneath the centre aisle which I didn't really want to disturb.

By comparison, cutting and re-welding the steel roof beams seemed like a job that I was much less likely to screw-up

Jeremy

Bill 340

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2011, 08:55:38 PM »

Blow heat into it, cables shifters don't matter, its the early morning WARM floor that counts, hot air flows around anything in there.

Bill & Brenda Phelan
Lakeland florida..........Host of the ARCADIA RALLY
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2011, 05:25:44 AM »

The tunnel in my MCI 5C is unfortunately bulkheaded every two feet or so, and blocked with expanding foam at each major bulkhead - no way to flow air in it!  It's a good idea though, and I am now jealous of those who have them!  I wondered how people ran things front to back with such ease, my bus has virtually no easy path from the front to the back for anything added.

Actually, come to thing of if, remove the "virtually"...  there is NO easy path front to back to add anything!

Brian

Vintage race cars -
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2011, 08:56:15 AM »

Brian,

We're actually talking about the upper part of the tunnel composition which is used for return air to the bus heat and air conditioner. it sits above the mechanical portion
which houses hydraulic, pneumatic and mechanical stuff.  On the MCI's, the slanted portion of the center isle at the front sat in this part of the tunnel and had vents on
either side. There were return air vents at the front and rear of the bus that came into this tunnel.

craig

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2011, 10:15:53 AM »

Thanks, Craig, and I'm going to go look.  But I think I know what I will find - on the MC-5's, which are a lot shorter (less tall?) than the 40 ft buses the air return to the heater is only through the center of the bus directly over the heater bay.  No air return from the very front, or from the entire back half of the bus.  Heat distribution is from out to the side ducts at the base of the walls and up to the bottom of the windows.  Which reminds me that I could fish those side air ducts and pull wire through them.  I don't think they were removed by the previous owner.

Vintage race cars -
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: