Bus Conversion Magazine Bulletin Board
May 20, 2018, 08:26:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription:  It will not get lost in the mail.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Alaska 2012  (Read 3715 times)
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2011, 07:17:17 PM »

We did the trip from Minnesota in 2005. 9500 miles. No ferry. We did all 4 roads in Alaska, from Tok to Anchorage, to Homer, to Fairbanks, to Arctic Circle, and over Top of the World to Dawson City. Great trip. One major mechanical breakdown, but worked out well.

We did 6 weeks. 2 weeks up. 2 weeks there, and 2 weeks back. Actually we were there a bit more than 2 weeks, and back in just under 2 weeks. 6 weeks total. I would have liked to have had more time there, but the family was definitely finished with the trip when we headed home!

At that time, total cost was around $7000, not including the new alternator. That will be much higher now due to fuel prices. My bus got almost exactly 6 mpg for the total 9500 miles after conversions for Canadian litre system to gallons. I was happy with that. 

We had discussed repeating this adventure in the previous thread, and in fact, are currently making plans to return next summer. However, we're only taking the bus as far as Prince Rupert, and then taking the motorcycles on the ferry up the inside passage, and on to Alaska mainland. We'll be spending about 3 weeks in and around Palmer helping a friend put heat in his MC9, and doing some fishing and photography. We have not finalized our plans, but it's looking like we'll be leaving Minnesota around the first week of July and plan to be back by the end of August. Anyone wanting to go up around that time is more than welcome to tag along with us for as long as they want. I expect we'll be going into Canada near Brandon, MB, and going across the Trans-Canada highway all the way to Prince Rupert. There are a couple busnuts along the way where we'll probably be spending a night or two. 

craig

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: