Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 17, 2014, 08:04:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not turn yellow, get musty, dusty, and mildewed or fade.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Windmill vs. solar panels  (Read 4552 times)
Iceni John

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2011, 08:00:57 AM »

Did the top turbine's blades not feather correctly?   I heard that wind gusts reached 165 MPH  -  at that speed I'm surprised more turbines didn't fail.   I wonder what provision smaller home-type turbines have to deal with high wind speeds.   Do they have a brake, or do their blades feather, or what?

John

1990 Crown 2R-40N-552:  6V92TAC, DDEC II, HT740, Jake.      Hecho en Chino.     
Behind the Orange Curtain, SoCal.
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2011, 08:56:07 AM »

Yes, it's got to be a blade feathering problem - in fact you can see in the photo that the whole turbine head is actually facing the opposite direction to it's two neighbours.

The vast majority, and by far the biggest, of the UK's turbines are actually offshore. Goodness knows what havoc they'll find when the wind farm service boats can put to sea again.

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
blank

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2011, 08:39:36 PM »

Not sure about all, but jacobs feather out of the wind after max rpm is reached, about 45 IIRC, becoming fully feathered up around 90 IIRC, at which point a brake is engaged to stop it.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: