Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 22, 2014, 12:24:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It can be read on any computer, iPad, smart phone, or compatible device.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: exterior mirrors  (Read 463 times)
uemjg
jerry

Ignore
« on: December 01, 2011, 06:09:55 PM »

Folks, Since my bus is now legal to drive I have noticed that the factory MCI-8 mirrors are old and too small.  I've looked around for replacements and the Ramco's are too pricey.  The old units are proving very difficult to remove "neatly" and wondered if anyone has mounted other aftermarket side mirrors in above or below the factory mount locations?  Which brand/model's did you use? pictures?

thx!
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 06:35:26 PM »

The larger MC9 or early 102 mirrors will fit into the ball sockets.
Find another busnut that is discarding theirs for an upgrade, and inherit those?

What are you trying to see that you can't see in the MC8 mirrors?

There is no flat mirror you can put on the right side that will show you anything useful.

Do you have the convex mirrors mounted on the separate metal plates, or stuck on to the flat mirror?

If the mirrors are fogged, fresh glass may be acquired from most any place that does this sort of work.

Bigger mirrors make for bigger blockages to your vision behind them, everything is a compromise.
Left turning over the top of a pedestrian walking in the shadow behind your big mirror is a statistical reality in the business.

FWIW, having driven everything in between the MC8 and the newest J model as well as the H3-45 Prevost, I have stock MC8 mirrors with the convex mounted stock on the plates above the flats on both sides, and don't really plan to change them. They work just fine.

Greyhound favored mounting the convex plate on the bottom on the driver's side, others mounted it on top, as do I, as the vision is not pulled as far away from the road by looking over as opposed to over and down.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: