Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 19, 2014, 12:11:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not be stolen by your mailman or your neighbor who also may be into buses.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Towing a '94 Silverado?  (Read 869 times)
thejumpsuitman

'79/'97 Eagle 05

Ignore
« on: December 02, 2011, 08:51:53 AM »

I have another offer on the Wanderlodge... Cash plus a 1994 Silverado 4x4.  The truck is an automatic with a manual transfer case.  Shouldn't I be able to tow it 4 down without trouble by putting the transfer case into neutral?

Does anybody else tow a similar vehicle?  I don't think this would be the ideal toad, but with our upcoming move I could at least tow it to where we are going and use it later.

Marc  
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 08:59:56 AM by thejumpsuitman » Logged

"Life is like a game of Pool... No matter how bad it looks, you take your shot."
jimsflx

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2011, 09:10:12 AM »

yes no problem good luck jim

jim&roenie seagraves sebring fl. 4106-3083
thejumpsuitman

'79/'97 Eagle 05

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2011, 09:20:25 AM »

Thanks for the confirmation, Jim.

"Life is like a game of Pool... No matter how bad it looks, you take your shot."
fe2_o3

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2011, 10:17:34 AM »

Careful...If the rear output shaft is at the top of the transfer case, how are the gears and bearings going to get lubed while traveling? The older units with front and rear outputs in the bottom of the transfer case would rotate and transfer oil needed to lube the bearings. Some newer units with rear output at the top (directly behind trans), when in neutral, don't have anything moving below the center to transfer oil to the rotating gears behind the rear output shaft at the top. I would check with a dealer or locate the owners manual to get the needed information...Cable

Sofar Sogood
1953-4104
KB7LJR
Everett, WA.
thejumpsuitman

'79/'97 Eagle 05

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2011, 10:25:53 AM »

According to the Remco website, it is towable as is as long as the transfer case is manual and not electronic.

buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2011, 03:44:18 PM »

Yes, be careful, the transfer case in '94 is integral to the transmission, shares the fluid.

Get the straight poop, yea or nay, straight from GM, including your VIN.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
akroyaleagle

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2011, 03:53:36 PM »

I towed a 91 and then a 99 Silverado manual transfer cases for years (to and from Alaska sometimes).

Never had any trouble.

I now have 3 Silverados a 02 electric, an 05 elec, and an 05 manual. Still never have problems.

I have 3 or 4 sets of tow bar base brackets for the older chevys. They'd be pretty cheap.

I use a different setup now to accommodate my snow plow.

Joe Laird
'78 Eagle
Huron, South Dakota
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: