Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 01, 2014, 09:19:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription:  It will not get lost in the mail.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Allison 10 speed  (Read 6412 times)
luvrbus

Ignore
« on: December 04, 2011, 02:11:31 PM »

I saw a MCI bus today with a new Allison being tested the TC-10 a 10 speed the torque converter is for launch only then the other gears lock up pretty neat you guys with the B500 and 4060 better start saving for the new one lol BTW the drivers loved it they told me there was no comparison between the shifting of the auto shift and the Allison   

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2011, 03:10:07 PM »

Darn, I've already installed the 647!

You don't have to believe everything you think.
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2011, 03:40:00 PM »

Thank goodness!

Allison has spent too long letting market share go to the automated manual transmissions of ZF and Eaton.

Fuel economy is king, fleets have been stampeding to the 10-12 speed ZF for the last few years in their MCI purchases.

I look forward to trying one. The passenger ride quality will also appreciate a return to torque converter shifting.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
Seayfam

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2011, 08:26:50 PM »

That's good news! I will have to look into that one. I was planning on using the AutoShift with my series 60 conversion.  Roll Eyes

Gary Seay (location Alaska)
1969 MCI MC-6 unit# 20006
8V92 turbo 740 auto
more pics and information here     "  www.my69mci-6.blogspot.com  "
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2011, 11:04:55 PM »

Like the Autoshift/Ultrashift/Ultrashift Plus, the Allison TC-10 is also a twin countershaft geared transmission.  The BIG difference is the Autoshift transmission still shifts like a manual-meaning there is a power gap between gears while the engine slows down for the next gear.  The Allison TC-10 is essentially a twin clutch transmission.  One countershaft handles 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, speeds and the other 2, 4, 6, 8, 10.  So when you start in 2nd gear the other countershaft is already in 3rd gear.  When it shifts, the rear clutch simply switches from one countershaft to the other and you have an instant shift.  Automatic shifting without planetary gears and without clutches for each gear (only one clutch pack for right or left countershaft choices).  We're all very excited about this new transmission technology.  This should be the best transmission yet.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
CrabbyMilton

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2011, 04:29:34 AM »

This should be interesting to see how accpeted this new tranny is over time. I noticed that all of the new MCI's no longer offer the ZF ASTRONIC only the ALLISON B500. So this new transmission sounds like it combines all of the advantages of a traditional ALLISON with the added fuel savings of the ASTRONIC and it doesn't jerk around like the later. Sounds likea good fit for buses.
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2011, 05:13:12 AM »

Everything old is new again!  First invented before WWII, and first popular use in Porsche and Audi racing cars in the 1980's.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual_clutch_transmission

In use, in some cars, in F1 since around 2005, now in heavy trucks and buses!  And in many higher end road cars. 

Similar to but different from the pre-selector gearbox:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preselector_gearbox

Neat, in any case!

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2011, 10:43:17 AM »

The days of being a real "professional" bus driver are now long gone. . .

Gone are operators who had the ability and skill to manually shift a wet-clutch GMC Buffalo so smoothly the folks riding along couldn't even tell a gear change had taken place, except for the sound of the Detroit.

Now all we have are "stab 'n steer" wheel jockeys who don't have a clue about what's going on in the powertrain, let alone around them.

I totally understand the mind-set and choices of the owners who shell out the hard-earned cash to buy the equipment, I'd do it too.

As time marches on tho, valuable skills are lost, sometimes to be replaced with other, newer skills, but more often, shuffled off to the halls of time and nostalgia.

FWIW. . .

Cry

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
rusty

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2011, 12:03:57 PM »

Clifford, Has anyone heard if this is available to us pee-ons and what is it going to cost?

Wayne
CrabbyMilton

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2011, 12:56:24 PM »

You could say that about any technology. I'm sure some people thought it built character when you had to crank an engine by hand and were indignant when those "new fangled" electric starter gizmo's came along and ruined the world. Automatic transmissions have been around forever and they have long proven themselves. None of the vehicles I drive both work and personal didn't even offer stick when new. Firetrucks are almost all automatic as these guys have more important things to due than to mess around with a greatshift and clutch. There are vehicles that you can still get them in but the market is what it is.
Zeroclearance

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2011, 01:09:45 PM »

Tom, what is the current price of the new Allison?
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2011, 01:20:47 PM »

I think you guys are going to have to wait for awhile they are not coming on the market till mid 2012 and will have a 750,000 or 1,000,000 mile warranty so I was told 

Life is short drink the good wine first
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2011, 01:52:14 PM »

Allison factory reps are hoping the cost will come in between the UltraShift Plus and the normal 4000 Series Allison.  No word on it yet-the transmission is still in testing phaze.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2011, 03:39:41 PM »

It sure sounds like another advance in general, but I seriously doubt that it will be worth it for our use.  I find that the 4 speed auto is quite adequate the vast majority of the time.  A 6 would more than cover any of its shortcomings.  Of course, that changes if your bus weighs 80,000 pounds.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
RoyJ

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2011, 08:58:55 PM »

Of course, that changes if your bus weighs 80,000 pounds.

Or if it has a little 6V71 with advanced timing and N70 injectors (can you say NARROW powerband?)

I'd absolutely love a 10 speed dual clutch!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: