Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 01, 2014, 01:10:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It can be read on any computer, iPad, smart phone, or compatible device.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: air lines for my bus garage  (Read 3438 times)
David Anderson

South Texas in the Eagle Ford Shale area

Ignore
« on: December 05, 2011, 10:54:05 AM »

I am getting close to actually building a bus garage/woodshop for the Eagle and my other Tim the Toolman endeavors.  I was wondering about running some 1/2" plastic lines under the slab and stub up in various places in the shop for compressed air.  My fear is too much moisture accumulating in the lines and going through my tools.   When I built my house 15 years ago I laid about 80' of pvc line under my slab and stubbed up in a couple of places.  It works great but I do get annoying moisture out the blow gun. 

Should I forgo this and just run everything overhead?  Overhead allows placement of moisture trap drip legs.   Underground doesn't.  Any ideas of suggestions?

David
desi arnaz

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 11:01:44 AM »

run a 2 inch grey PVC under the floor and then snake a hose inside that,then you don't have to worry about the PVC breaking due to high pressure.

thomas f  Bethlehem n.h
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2011, 11:02:34 AM »

David -

Years ago I ran air lines in my garage, even tho I was working on Corvairs at the time.

I ran all mine overhead, with moisture filters, thus never any gunk in the tools.

Of course the slab was already there when I started. . . but I still would have kept the air lines above ground.

If anything, put hydronic heat in the floor!

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2011, 11:09:50 AM »

Well. you probably know that PVC isn't rated for air unless it's buried.  The stories about exploding PCV are legendary...

Black pipe up high and downward stubs with drains is classic old-school.  I don't know why you couldn't use copper with soldered joints.  Thinking out loud, I don't know why you couldn't use 1/2" flex air line from a bus!

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2011, 11:24:08 AM »

Why isn't PVC not rated for air unless buried keep the temp down it does good 600 psi is 600 psi regardless only the temperature will affect the bursting pressure 1/2 in sch 40 pvc is 600 lbs @ 73 degrees the 1/2 cpvc is 100 psi at 180 degrees anything below 180 or 73 degrees will increase the psi ratings

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2011, 11:40:23 AM »

Apparently it can shatter, explode with shards/shrapnel and otherwise become objectionable.  I think there is also an issue with flame resistance/melting.

Anyway - http://www.osha.gov/dts/hib/hib_data/hib19880520.html

With that said, I wouldn't be at all surprised if there are modern "PVC equivalent" products that can be used.  I was just taught that plain old Home Despot PVC like you buy for your water drains and supplies wasn't good to use.

Brian
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 11:43:09 AM by bevans6 » Logged

Vintage race cars -
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2011, 11:50:51 AM »

Times and methods of manufacturing PVC since 1972 when that was written Brian, only a Canadian would link us to a OSHA site lol seriously they are using the stuff about for everything now that and poly pipe

good luck

Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2011, 11:51:57 AM »

I found that same OSHA link (damn gummint regulators), and within that link is this explanation:

Colonial Engineering Inc.
Thermoplastic Piping Systems

To Whom It May Concern:

From time to time, I receive inquiries as to the suitability of using PVC pipe land fittings in compressed gas piping systems. While the benefits of use may be enticing, it is a very dangerous and, in some states, illegal thing to do. For example, MIOSHA (Michigan's branch of OSHA) prohibits the use of PVC plastic in compressed gas systems unless properly encased in steel, cement, or some other approved material. Please check your local and state regulations.

The main problem with using PVC pipe and fittings for compressed gas is not that it spontaneously explodes but that PVC is a brittle material that can be broken or shattered with external force unless properly protected. Compressed gasses can be best described as being analogous to a coiled spring. When a PVC pipe or fitting fails when under stress from compressed gas it literally explodes like a bomb, sending shards of plastic flying several feet in all directions. Liquids, on the other hand, being compressed by only 1/10th of 1% contain very little stored energy. When pressurized systems with liquids fail, the energy is dissipated very quickly, thereby creating a much lower potential for hazard.

Colonial Engineering does not recommend the use of PVC plastic pipe fittings in compressed gas service.

If you have further questions regarding this matter please feel free to contact me directly.

Sincerely,

Jack Roach

That said, I knowingly used PVC in my shop, limited to 125 psi and had no problem.  I ran the first 8 feet or so from the compressor in steel pipe in order to give the air a chance to cool a bit before hitting the plastic pipe.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
Len Silva

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2011, 11:55:45 AM »

Times and methods of manufacturing PVC since 1972 when that was written Brian, only a Canadian would link us to a OSHA site lol seriously they are using the stuff about for everything now that and poly pipe

good luck

I first became aware of the issue when I was doing my shop.  Walking through the Home Depot plumbing section and the boxes of fittings are clearly labeled "not for compressed air".

Pipes carrying compressed air will explode and shatter where the same pipes with water will just split and leak.

Hand Made Gifts

bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2011, 12:55:08 PM »

Well it was written in 1988, not 1972 when the pipe apparently became available, I guess implying that the stuff was OK for 16 years   Grin  Some one probably got killed or maimed by an explosion, that's how these things usually work...   Shocked

I do think that there are probably modern equivalents that install and look similar to PVC that are OK.  I wouldn't be at all surprised if PEX or a PEX equivalent wasn't rated for low pressure gas.  I shall look and see!

Brian

Vintage race cars -
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2011, 01:00:12 PM »

You are seeing SDR21 fittings in those places Len huge difference in PVC fittings I see people use waste pipe fitting on pressure pipe for  water they blow off or break they look the same but the collar part will be longer I use sch 80 fitting on everything it cost a little more most people, never read the glue can either tons of different glue for different sizes and PVC pipe types

.David can use poly pipe if he chooses it made from 1/2 inch to 48 inch they are using poly for high pressure gas lines and gravity flow sewer line it is fused together instead of glue.

I am not afraid of PVC I wouldn't use sch 20 or irrigation PVC or the fittings  

bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2011, 01:05:22 PM »

And here it is:  http://www.ipexamerica.com/Content/Products/Product.aspx?MarketSegmentId=1&SubMarketId=9&ProductId=93

It's the PEX with the aluminium layer.  Sold as Duratec Airline.

I just use great heaping rolls of 3/8" or 1/2" air hose.  Simplest, dumbest, most labour intensive solution, but that is so me... Grin

Brian

Vintage race cars -
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2011, 01:28:41 PM »

Brain, I see that place sells ABS for air lines also I don't have PVC I have 1/2 steel but with todays prices on steel pipe PVC would be my choice fwiw

good luck

Len Silva

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2011, 01:42:39 PM »

You are seeing SDR21 fittings in those places Len huge difference in PVC fittings I see people use waste pipe fitting on pressure pipe for  water they blow off or break they look the same but the collar part will be longer I use sch 80 fitting on everything it cost a little more most people, never read the glue can either tons of different glue for different sizes and PVC pipe types

.David can use poly pipe if he chooses it made from 1/2 inch to 48 inch they are using poly for high pressure gas lines and gravity flow sewer line it is fused together instead of glue.

I am not afraid of PVC I wouldn't use sch 20 or irrigation PVC or the fittings  

Not to be overly argumentative but I was clearly looking at Schedule 40 PVC glue in fittings, not DWV or SDR21.

I chose to use them anyway in spite of the warnings but it was an informed choice.  That's all we are looking for here.

Hand Made Gifts

robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2011, 01:50:21 PM »

I have pvc in shop for 20 yrs.  that said    put a piece in freezer for couple hrs then drop it on the floor.   Hasn't been a problem for me. My air lines are fastened down. rubber from outlets.    Bob

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: