Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
April 20, 2014, 04:14:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 500 Members as of May 5th, 2006.  Smiley  3,499 Members as of October 21, 2012 Cheesy

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sky Light  (Read 1408 times)
Tikvah

Ignore
« on: December 06, 2011, 12:32:41 PM »

I wish I kept the picture, but I saw a picture of an older coach recently where they had taken the escape hatch out and used the space for a sky light.  I like the idea, but wonder how to do it.  Some kind of dome to shed water, but clear to see outside.

Any ideas?

Dave

I couldn't repair my brakes, so I made my horn louder.
1989 MCI-102 A3
DD 6V92 Turbo, Alison
Tons of stuff to learn!
Started in Cheboygan, Michigan (near the Mackinaw Bridge).  Now home is anywhere we park
Iceni John

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2011, 12:52:13 PM »

I plan on taking out my rear Transpec roof vent / emergency exit hatch and replacing it with a skylight.   I haven't seen any RV-quality skylights that impress me, so I may use a yacht / marine one instead if I can find the correct size.   There's a marine salvage place nearby that always has lots of them, but not so far in my size.   The only difficulty would be sealing it to a curved roof  -  marine skylights seem to be set up for flat surfaces.   If it's strong enough to withstand sea water and waves, it should be more than good enough for a bus.

I'll still keep the emergency door and emergency rear window in my bedroom, so I won't lose too much by not having a third emergency exit there!

John

1990 Crown 2R-40N-552:  6V92TAC, DDEC II, HT740, Jake.      Hecho en Chino.     
Behind the Orange Curtain, SoCal.
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, 01:05:36 PM »

The way to seal to a curved surface (as used on boats) is to have a raised flange (which can be several inches high) on the deck, which the hatch goes over the top and outside of. Obviously there is a rubber gasket etc as well, but it is the flange and gravity which keeps water out.

On the idea of having an actual dome - I think this is a great idea for a bus. Ed Roth used domes on just about everything he built, and I think I read once about how he made them using very basic techniques (ie. a piece of plywood and an electric heater).

Jeremy

PS. There's a roof-chopped school bus in the background of that photo!

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
PP
Will & Wife

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2011, 03:03:46 PM »

Is it towable?  Grin
There's a guy in Arizona that used to frequent this board by the handle Airbag. He made a lot of neat things in his airplane shop that included clear domes. In one of his posts he attached pictures and basic instructions, but I can't seem to find it. I have lousy luck searching on this sight Huh But maybe someone else remembers, Good luck, Will

Bussman84
My first love is my 1961 Int. Skoolie

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2011, 04:52:02 PM »

When I started my conversion I purchased a mid '90's Coachmen Travel trailer for the appliances, holding tanks, etc. and it has a huge tinted skylight in the front of it, even has a cool shade that pulls closed to block out the sun. Not sure if it is quite big enough to cover the escape hatch or not, I would be willing to measure it and get you some dimensions if you like, just thinking if it is that surely a person should be able to find a replacement dome from an RV parts store. I might be wrong here since I have never messed with a skylight dome but I would think that it would have a little flex to it to be able to make it conform to the contour of the roof, just the same as the plastic base of the maxifan that i put on ours... tightened slowly working with the contour so far so good. Just an Idea. Undecided

Billy

1961 Int. Skoolie 345v-8 w/4spd.
1979 MC-9 8v71 HT740
Southcentral, Kansas
Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2011, 04:39:09 AM »

Take a couple of 2x2's and carve the bottom to match the curve of the bus. Then you have a flat top to mount the plexiglass to. Seal the bottom with Dicor Lap Sealant and forget about it.

1968 MCI 5A with 8V71 and Allison MT644 transmission.  Western USA
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2011, 04:51:32 AM »

I used Taylor Made marine hatches in our Eagle for skylights they would open for air and were the same as the emergency exit they were a little pricey but neat

Live each day like it was your last,one day it will be
eagle10

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2011, 05:34:37 AM »

When we did our Eagle 10 over 12 years ago. We took the escape hatches out because we wanted more light and covered them with the glass we took off the side windows. We put Peninsula windows in. Took it to a glass company and had it cut to size. Worked for us and the new owner is still using it.
Joe Camper

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2011, 12:30:44 PM »

Bomar Hatches  google them, manufactures of marine items

They are  what I see in Prevo conversions where the hatches are hindged and with hardware that holds them open and if large enough you can go up thru to the roof.

We have one in the ceiling of our kitchen it is very very well made. CC used them  in the early 90s too, in the living room and over the bed. I've seen site seeing buses in the national parks that have Bomar hatches lined up all the way down center of the the roof of the bus.

Signing off from Cook County Ill. where the dead vote, frequently.
white-eagle

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2011, 08:38:49 PM »

if you're coming to Arcadia, i'll show you mine.  We have a bubble with about a 1.5in border all around, caulked and screwed to the top.  There is a wood frame in the ceiling that holds the rope lights and the bottom is matched to the inside ceiling with plexiglass surrounded with a border made of the same cloth as the window trim valances.  A button mounted on the side of the A/C turns the rope lights on to give it that fancy and expensive Marathon or Liberty look.
Since i didn't build the bus, just major repairs or mods, i don't know where it came from.  I do know i get really nervous when someone says hail.  Doesn't look that strong.

Tom
1991 Eagle 15 and proud of it.
8V92T, 740, Fulltime working on the road.

Fran was called to a higher duty 12/16/13. I lost my life navigator.
Tikvah

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2011, 05:14:07 AM »

I really appreciate all the input.  No, I won't be in Arcadia, but I would love to see some pictures.  To me, a picture is worth more than a thousand words. 
I think I'll probably remove both hatches and install skylights.  I think I can build a frame using that "plastic wood" (I don't know what it's called, but it's used on decks a lot).  Then, just set in a good piece of laminated glass (maybe some side window glass, cut to fit).

Any more ideas or pictures are welcome,

Thanks again,
Dave

I couldn't repair my brakes, so I made my horn louder.
1989 MCI-102 A3
DD 6V92 Turbo, Alison
Tons of stuff to learn!
Started in Cheboygan, Michigan (near the Mackinaw Bridge).  Now home is anywhere we park
pipopak

I am the 99%

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2011, 03:51:37 PM »

You may want to take a look at this:
http://steampunkworkshop.com/skylights-jakes-school-bus-rv-conversion
FWIW.

Linux, when Windoze just will not measure up.
Bill B /bus

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2011, 04:51:23 PM »

We put a Bomar roof hatch, used, in our bathroom.  Provides all the light necessary in the daytime as we have no windows in there. Plus it provides roof access without climbing a ladder up over the roof edge.  One of the best items installed on this conversion.

Bill

Bill & Lynn
MCI102A3, Series 50 w/HT70
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: