Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 24, 2014, 06:00:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: need a temporary heater...  (Read 1307 times)
uemjg
jerry

Ignore
« on: December 06, 2011, 08:18:39 PM »

I've used a propane heater indoors before and wondered why it wouldn't work as a temporary heat source in a bus...thoughts?

Of course I have carbon monoxide detectors inside!
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2011, 08:28:15 PM »

Even with detectors it's a dangerous gamble !

I mean ya really don't wanna wake up dead do ya?
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
uemjg
jerry

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, 08:43:45 PM »

Why are propane indoor heaters sold? Even kerosene heaters are sold for indoor use!

what's the real difference?
Lonnie time to go
Lonnie

Saginaw, Michgan

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2011, 09:45:49 PM »

Very few are safe indoors    It can kill you without warning, no coughing, choking just fall asleep and die.

I hope that scares you in a nice way people died here lately.

This is the only type approved indoors.

Other brands must say indoors

•CSA certified for indoor and outdoor use

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=411150&pdesc=Mr_Heater_BIG_Buddy_Indoor_Safe_Propane_Heater&str=indoor+heater&merchID=4005

Lonnie

1976 4905
Van
Billy Van Hagen

89' Silver Eagle 15/40 6V92MUI Boulder City,NV

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2011, 10:11:11 PM »

Thats what we're using, our bus is well insulated and it heats up so good you almost have to keep a hatch open, but you still have to be aware of the dangers. Ya know I still have not been able to freeze my entry door shut, maybe this season Grin Darn! don't you know it hit 29 degrees here last night, sheesh! Shocked Shocked Tonight another cold one...   Stay warm y'all!

V

If you are not living on the edge, then you're takin' up too much space!!!
scanzel

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2011, 05:51:25 AM »

Is this a finished bus or under construction ? Someone on the board a while back put in a small wood stove and piped it out of one of the roof hatches. I am thinking the same so I can work inside of it this winter. One of those small marine kero heaters might work for you also.

Steve Canzellarini
Berlin, CT
1989 Prevost XL
Bill 340

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2011, 08:56:21 AM »

Propane works inside BUT YOU MUST KEEP A VENT OPEN AT ALL TIMES,  High up that is. another reason other than dying is it will literally rain inside you bus if not vented,  no thunder and lightning just constant drips of water....

Bill & Brenda Phelan
Lakeland florida..........Host of the ARCADIA RALLY
Melbo

MC8 under construction

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2011, 09:28:35 AM »

When I was working on the bus I used two 300 watt spot lights -- turned them on and it only took about 30 minutes til I was taking off the jacket -- no CO or CO2 and nice and bright so I can see what I am doing.

HTH

Melbo

If it won't go FORCE it ---- if it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway
Albuquerque, NM   MC8 L10 Cummins ZF
gus

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2011, 04:17:23 PM »

The safest heaters are the small heating element electric heaters with fans found in WM for around $20. I use them all over the house and bus, work great. Be sure to get the ones with two heat settings and a thermostat.

The quartz and infra-red heaters are not as good for heating spaces as they are more directional spot heaters.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2011, 05:11:00 PM »

If electricity is available, I'm with Gus.  Those cheap, plastic electric heaters are great.  If using propane, I tend to prefer the catalytic ones by Olympian and others; they are designed for RV use.  However, I am not sure of the use you are looking for.  Do you want something to heat the space while working, keep it comfortable while hanging out during the day, or something that you consider safe enough to sleep near?

You don't have to believe everything you think.
uemjg
jerry

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2011, 05:57:40 PM »

not sleeping in the bus as it is only for "day trips"...I will be running some tests with a carbon monoxide alarm that also has a digital meter that measures PPM.
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2011, 06:12:15 PM »

Houston: First name would be nice.  If you still have front defroster/drivers heat it will heat bus pretty well down into the 40F and maybe even 30's. once it is warm it won't take much to keep it warm.   Bob

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
rv_safetyman

Jim Shepherd

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2011, 07:19:26 AM »

Some of you folks are betting your life on a CO monitor.  Be careful!!!

I did quite a bit of research on both smoke and CO detectors for an article in BCM.  The reason for research was based on the fact that I had a CO detector that showed no reading, when there was a problem.  Fortunately, I had a second CO detector.  It kept going off, and I disconnected it, thinking it was going bad.  Well it turned out it was correct and the digital one had gone bad. 

As I researched, the industry is very clear that the CO detectors have a useful life of 5-7 years.  The older ones (say 10 years) had nothing in the software to warn you.  They just sat there telling you everything was OK and tested just fine.  Newer units have a time based warning that tells you it is time to replace the unit.

Today I always make sure I have two units in the house or bus.

Jim

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
’85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Somewhere between a tin tent and a finished product
Bus Project details: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog:  http://rvsafetyman.blogspot.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: