Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 24, 2014, 05:04:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: By clicking on any ad, a hotlink takes you directly to the advertiser’s website.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: need help with air windshield wipers...  (Read 2420 times)
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2011, 07:03:31 AM »

There is another outfit Bus Services in Sharon KS where you can buy a rebuilt unit exchange for the MCI bus and others with air wipers then you have good old SAM in KS also if it was me I wouldn't have paid 75 dollars for that kit and I like Luke so don't get to upset guys lol

good luck
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 11:00:35 AM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2011, 09:28:41 AM »

Although I think that electrical wipers are a better choice, the air ones work and I really don't drive in the rain much.  Now that you fixed it, it will probably last quite a long time and may not ever approach the top of your to-do list again.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
uemjg
jerry

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2011, 10:29:18 AM »

Lin: You're right in that I have other projects with the bus that have a higher priority...I also don't plan on driving in the rain since its basicly a "day" coach for tailgating and in state trips.
rv_safetyman

Jim Shepherd

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2011, 10:42:20 AM »

I too can't justify the cost of electric wipers.  My air wipers work just OK most of the time.  But like others, we don't drive in the rain much.  I would still like to rebuild the motors, but not at $75 a crack.

Does anyone have the O-ring number for the rebuild kit?  Anything else in the kit that has to be replaced?

In cars I use Rain-X and it works great.  I put in on the bus windshields, but they are so vertical that the Rain-X does not work all that well.

BTW, I love the air wipers when I go to clean the windshield - can move them around Wink

Jim

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
’85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Somewhere between a tin tent and a finished product
Bus Project details: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog:  http://rvsafetyman.blogspot.com/
uemjg
jerry

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2011, 10:45:55 AM »

When you take it apart you can take the o-rings to an auto parts store to match them.  The 2 gaskets that are included can be re-produced, but my old ones were still good to use.  The kit also included some rods w/orings on the them, but those o-rings can also be replaced.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2011, 11:15:00 AM »

Jim, I get my kits for the Sprague or Wexco air wipers from www.illinoisautoelectric.com every train had air wipers and those guys have ton's of the stuff let me know if you have a problem buying I can get it

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
rv_safetyman

Jim Shepherd

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2011, 12:11:46 PM »

I was hoping someone had done the research on the specific O-rings.  When you go to McMaster Carr, your mind will be boggled by all the sizes and materials for O-rings. 

My problem with taking the used O-rings down to a parts supplier are two fold:  is it the correct material (not much of a problem as there is very little oil present) and is it the correct size.  If the original O-ring is made of a non-oil resistant material and has been exposed to oil it will swell a bit and grow a bit in diameter.  I am probably being anal here, but if I take the time to pull the motor (does not look fun on the driver side) I want to do it corrects (well, not $75 correctly Wink).

Jim

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
’85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Somewhere between a tin tent and a finished product
Bus Project details: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog:  http://rvsafetyman.blogspot.com/
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: