Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
April 19, 2014, 07:13:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It takes up much less space in your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Zeroclearance Question Garrett GTA45 VNT Turbo Compressor Seal  (Read 691 times)
Hard Headed Ken

1988 Prevost Angola Conversion Repowered With 14L Series 60 & Eaton Ultrashift

Ignore
« on: December 09, 2011, 05:14:19 AM »

Iíve never seen a compressor seal like this. Usually the compressor seal is on a spool that fits snug around the shaft, then that spool and seal fits into the housing. This seal just sits there. I donít see that it does much. Did I loose something?? I donít think so, but it seems there is something missing even though thereís not really room for anything. I just donít see what holds the seal in place other than the outward force of the sealing ring.

Thanks,
Ken 

Link to my engine swap slide show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxAFFBcoTQI
Zeroclearance

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2011, 08:30:24 AM »

Ken, the sealing ring will sit in the ring grove and seat against the back plate.      Did you "mark and clock" the compressor wheel prior to removing.   With the shaft speed the balance is critical with the Garrett VNT. 

BTW, nice pictures.   Did you pull the bearings out of the bearing housing yet?   How are the turbine side seals?
Hard Headed Ken

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2011, 08:42:50 AM »

I did mark and clock the turbine and compressor. I replaced the bearings and turbine side seal. Every thing looked good except the vane actuator shaft bushing. I made a new one from stainless. I didn't see a groove that the compressor ring fit in, it just seemed to fit into a straight bore. I'll look closer, Maybe my glasses are getting weaker, they don't make glass like they use to. Thanks for your help.

Ken

Hard Headed Ken

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2011, 08:57:27 AM »

What I forgot to say is that there is no sleeve or other part that fits close or tight to the ID of the ring (part a). The rear side of the ring does fit tight to the component behind it (part b).

Ken

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: