Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 21, 2014, 09:11:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It arrives at least two weeks before the First Class printed magazine.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wood pellet stove that sits in a window like an air conditioner  (Read 3517 times)
Kevin Warnock

Ignore
« on: December 19, 2011, 08:55:36 AM »

Periodically people here ask how to heat a bus conversion while it's under construction and before it's insulated. An electric space heater usually is not enough if it's really cold out. A wood stove puts out the heat but is a pain to install temporarily.

I discovered a pellet stove that installs in a window like an air conditioner. It doesn't need a chimney since the smoke exits the unit outside, since the unit hangs out of the window like a window air conditioner. I wrote up a blog post about this unit today:

http://kevinwarnock.com/2011/12/19/wood-pellet-stove-installs-like-a-window-air-conditioner/

The downside for bus conversion use is the cost. But this unit could be used in your house as well, since it's portable like a window air conditioner.

This unit puts out 28,000 BTUs and uses standard wood pellets.

Kevin Warnock
http://KevinWarnock.com - my blog
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 09:23:33 AM »

That's a clever idea.  I do not know that I need one now, but it's worth remembering.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
Scott Bennett
Scott & Heather MCI-9

Scott & Heather

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 09:25:09 AM »

Intriguing. Running for around $1300 on Northern Tool's site.

Scott & Heather
1984 MCI9 6V92-turbo with 9 inch roof raise & conversion in progress.
http://www.scottmichaelbennett.com/p/our-bus.html
˙ǝɯoɔlǝʍ suoıʇɐuop ˙snq ʍǝu ɐ pǝǝu ʎlqɐqoɹd ll,ǝʍ 'sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
Kevin Warnock

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2011, 10:22:55 PM »

Now if only someone would make a bus sized pellet stove designed for an RV that would run on 12 or 24 volts and be careful with power consumption.

Kevin Warnock
TedsBUSted

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2011, 09:38:14 AM »

Seems like someone's always working on a better and faster way to burn the house.  Huh

I can't imagine that open-door poking or ash clean-out is any too tidy or carpet/drape friendly.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 09:40:38 AM by TedsBUSted » Logged

Bus polygamist. Always room for another, especially Ď04 or Ď06 are welcome. NE from Chicago, across the pond.
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2011, 10:25:25 PM »

Very interesting stove. It would be nice to see some reviews on it.

Kevin,

What's up with this? Huh

Quoted from your blog:

"I was shocked at how many models of hand guns they have on display. There were dozens of hand guns in glass cases, some over USD $1,500. There was a sign by the door advising people to declare their weapons upon entry to the store. Weapons were not prohibited to be carried into the store ó Cabelaís just wanted you to tell them about them up front.

The store was big and lush, but its dedication to so many hand guns ruined it for me. I donít see why hunters need handguns. Even if they do need handguns, do they need dozens of handguns?" End Quote.

Unfortunately, by those quoted statements, you would have to admit your knowledge of guns and gun ownership is very, very limited. There are many reasons to own handguns and I cannot cover them all. Hunting, sport shooting, self-defense etc. If you started shooting for any reason you would quickly learn that there is not a one do it all gun. How hard would it be to cook if you only had a paring knife in your kitchen drawer? How about stopping a feral hog or a charging brown bear with a 22lr? Bear wins, you loose. I could just go on and on forever but it's not needed. Guns save lives, guns can feed you, guns can entertain you, and if used incorrectly they can kill you. I hope one day you will appreciate how wonderful it is to have the liberty and freedom to walk into a store like Cabela's, with all of the guns and ammo they have available for us to own if we so choose. To stand there and look at display case after display case, rack after rack, shelf after shelf of guns and ammo is truly glorious. If you ever find yourself and/or loved ones in a SHTF scenario, I hope you can get your hands on one. Guns are not bad. Guns are a tool that can be used by bad people; likewise, guns are a tool that a good person can use to stop a bad person or to do many other beneficial and useful tasks. Do not take this as a personal attack, because it is not, I only suggest that your thinking about guns be done more logically, not emotionally as it appears to have been in the above quote. As a fellow busnut and American i care, and I understand that guns in SF are looked at very differently than in other places. The founding fathers had a lot to say about this subject, and it is as relevant today as it was then. If you get a chance read up on it. I have enjoyed reading your blog from time to time. You have a refreshing out-of-the box way of thinking that I like and can relate to. This pellet stove is just another example of that. Keep up the good work, become a gun owner when you can. Smiley

Ckick here to link to an old post of mine on this subject.

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
Itís the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2011, 03:24:26 AM »

I've just just checked Kevin's blog, and yes, like almost all blogs it has the facility for readers to leave feedback there. So let's not be starting discussions on this kind of subject in the main 'Bus Topics' area of the BCM board.

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
pipopak

I am the 99%

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2011, 04:49:35 AM »

WOW!. A $1500 wood burner seems a lot of $ to me . I would get one of these:
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?client=ubuntu&channel=fs&oe=utf-8&q=space+heater&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=15007670576893296305&sa=X&ei=SirzTsjbK6WNsQKb8cmZAQ&ved=0CKwBEPMCMAU
or something similar instead. IMHO.

Linux, when Windoze just will not measure up.
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2011, 05:49:00 AM »

So let's not be starting discussions on this kind of subject in the main 'Bus Topics' area of the BCM board.

I understand what you are saying and it is important no to stray to far from the original topic for a host of reasons. I have no interest in posting in a comment section on a blog and I make no apologies for my post here. If the moderators want to delete it or move it they can. I am not willing to stand by and loose our freedoms like has been done in England. Our freedoms, or what is left of them, starts with our 2nd amendment. Most here know I have been posting for a long time and rarely spin off topic. Off topic in a bus thread happens on occasion and can sometimes lead to thoughtful and meaningful discussions that do warrant a separate topic and tread. This is how it happens at times and some accept it, some tolerate it, and others just ignore it. To know me is to understand my guns, liberty, and freedom comments that are not that common. With that being said I made an exit.

Guns born of "Wood pellet stove that sits in a window like an air conditioner"

thomasinnv
Derrick Thomas

I may be nuts, but only for buses

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2011, 07:17:30 AM »

Personally, I don't see this thread as being that far off topic. Maybe slightly leaning, but the OP definitely made the connection to bus conversions, and the thread is still discussing the item brought forth in the OP. However, I would say that this thread IS NOW OFF TOPIC. Thumbs up Jeremy! (don't take it personal. just saying.)

There are three kinds of people in this world....those that make things happen, those that watch things happen, and those that just wonder what the heck is happening. Which one are you?

1977 MCI Crusader MC-8
8V71N/740
95% converted (they're never really done, are they?)
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2011, 09:09:15 AM »

An electric heater only works if you have access to electricity.  The pellet stove is a good idea if you are not in a campground with power.  It also has a lot more BTU output than an electric heater.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2011, 09:27:14 AM »

The pellet stove is a good idea if you are not in a campground with power.

Unfortunately pellet stoves require power. Blowers, electronics to monitor fire, safety shut off, etc. Not sure how much trouble to convert to 12 or 24 volt. Propane is probably the better option for boondocking. Neither fuel is inexpensive.

Kevin Warnock

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2011, 01:51:08 PM »

I know little about guns and I have never fired a gun.

The point I was making on my blog is that my impression of the otherwise delightful and charming store Cabela's was ruined by their having dozens of hand guns for sale. Hunting rifles I can understand in a store that caters to hunters.

Perhaps someone can explain how and when hand guns are used in hunting. Perhaps they are crucial, for example for self protection around camp where a bear might wander in while you don't have your hunting rifle in hand. Perhaps some hunting is routinely done with hand guns? I live in a big city, and I've never been hunting.

I don't mind controversy around what I write on my blog. I don't write to upset people, but I also don't water down what I write to avoid upsetting people.

I am proud of my blog. It reflects who I am well I like to think. Thank you for reading it.

Finally, if you want to read the most controversial blog post I've yet written, read this one:

http://kevinwarnock.com/2011/09/11/what-president-george-w-bush-should-have-said-soon-after-the-september-11-2001-events/

It has the potential to get this thread moved off topic today, but I am proud of this post, and I think it will bring some of you closer to me and push some of you away from me. I hope it's more of the former and less of the latter.

I support the right to own guns, including hundreds of hand guns, if you so desire. Please don't misinterpret my statement about the many hand guns with regard to Cabela's. It's fine for there to be gun superstores with thousands of guns for sale. I won't go in because I'm not interested in guns, but such stores are acceptable in the United States, and I hope they continue to stay legal and acceptable forever.

Kevin Warnock
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2011, 04:43:52 PM »

Those who need pellet stove info skip this post.

Kevin,

I admire those who can put up controversial topics like that and take the arrows that are sure to follow. I find that reading opinions that are completely different than mine helps me better understand how others come to their beliefs. At times I have even had my opinion changed, but not on this one.

There are people in this world here and abroad that you cannot reason with. Truly bad evil people who seek power or pleasure out of others misery. Sometimes ideology is a factor such as with the terrorist.

I carry a gun because there are bad people who don't care if we live or die; therefore, I am willing to exercise my right to life, liberty, and the persuit of happiness by force if necessary. I do not hunt (My wife does, I don't have the patience). I have had a terminated coworker threaten to shoot my wife, children and then myself and others I work with. He had a criminal record of violence to back up his claims. Fortunately he cooled off in prison and didn't have the chance to carry out what he said he would do. I got in the habit of carrying and honestly thought that my lifestyle and town I live in would not necessitate carrying a gun. Then out of nowhere, in my grandmothers back yard while I was mowing, I had three men approach me in a manner that I knew I was going to get robbed or harmed. I didn't have time to ask them to wait so I could make a call for help. When the leader was within 15 feet he saw that I was armed and they made a quick exit. Thankfully my gun never left it's holster. There are no telling how many others have similar experiences where a gun offered protection without a shot being fired. There are times where you will have no one but yourself to get out of a bad spot. Only the right tool, in this case a gun, will be needed to do the job. Guns are not just for hunting.

You have been fortunate to have lived where your circumstances have not put you in the danger that some others have experienced.

For others who don't know me. Just because I have a different opinion doesn't mean I don't, or won't, like you. I keep the two separated.

John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2011, 06:48:30 PM »

Changed my mind Grin

But I do like what BO said (if that gives you a hint Grin)
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 06:50:15 PM by John316 » Logged

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
mc8 tin tent

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2012, 06:16:11 PM »

Walk quietly an carry a big stick. Roll Eyes
jackhartjr

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2012, 06:42:40 PM »

I absolutely LOVE watching grown men and women walk into a Cabelas or a Bass Pro Shop and see the testosterone level jump by a factor of 10!
Jack

Jack Hart, CDS
1956 GMC PD-4501 #945 (The Mighty SCENICRUISER!)
8V71 Detroit
4 speed Spicer Trannsmission
Hickory, NC, (Where a call to God is a local call!)
chev49

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2012, 02:59:55 AM »

i thimk mom needs a ccp... Grin

If you want someone to hold your hand, join a union.
Union with Christ is the best one...
basil

93 Eagle 15-45, 89 Bluebird All American FE

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2012, 06:49:55 AM »

very interesting design

thanks for pointing it out
Bill 340

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2012, 11:46:00 AM »

Not to vote either way,  BUT yesterday somewhere in this country a car went off the road and into an Icy river with the father and 3 children, it landed upside down, the paserbys stopped and rolled the car back upright, could not open the rear windows to get the children,  you can not break that glass with your hand, only having seconds to keep these kids alive, one of the rescuers was armed and shot out the window allowing someone to pull the kids to saftey,  That handgun probably save 3 young lives along with cpr, all are now home.  BUT ALIVE, now that isn't pro or anti gun just goes to show how they can save others as well.  Everyone should have a spring loaded center punch in their vehicle just for cases like this, weather your trapped in your own car or helping save another, one push against any glass and it will shatter.  Just a thought,  Carry on....................

Bill & Brenda Phelan
Lakeland florida..........Host of the ARCADIA RALLY
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2012, 01:50:21 PM »

The thread is about a pellet stove.  I often enjoy sharing my crackpot opinions with the other busnut crackpots that troll Off Topic, but I fail to see the relevance of guns, blogs, and such to the threads here.  If you are voting for Prevost or have faith in MCI, this is the right place.  Other political and religious issues are for Off Topic.  Actually, due to our delicate sensitivities, it is now only allowed in Off Off Topic.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: