Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 26, 2014, 06:45:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New ownership began September 1st 2012!  Please send any comments to info@busconversions.com
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gas Mileage, Tune-up?, Real Numbers  (Read 4506 times)
rv_safetyman

Jim Shepherd

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2011, 08:41:30 AM »

Eric, we were posting at the same time.  I suspect your numbers are pretty close to what I would get in your area with a smaller toad - I would probably be a bit less.  I am not sure what kind of hills you have, but my trip home from the Denver area is a 2.5-3K foot climb in about 20 miles (with the downhill stretches, that really is about 5K net).  My mileage for that leg of the trip is around 3 MPG.  I climb I 70 out of Dillon going east towards Denver and just hate to look at my SilverLeaf.  I do those roads a lot, so I feel pretty good at a bit over 7 MPG with my 46K weight.

Yes folks, I know that every state has some pretty good climbs, but you really need to travel in CO to get a feeling for what I am talking about.  When I leave KS on I 70, I try not to look at the mileage.  It is a very slow climb from about 2.8K in Garden City to  about 6.0-6.5K on the plains east of Denver then a gradual drop down to 5.3K, then the huge climb.

Jim

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
’85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Somewhere between a tin tent and a finished product
Bus Project details: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog:  http://rvsafetyman.blogspot.com/
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2011, 09:17:57 AM »

Well I had to do it I called Karl Blades with Newell they are getting ready to head out to Pomana for the Fmca rally with his 625 hp Cummins  and 12 speed auto shift ZF transmission in the Newell around 50,000 lbs and towing a 10,000 lb trailer he said they average 4.8 to 5.3 mpg down hill about 7 mpg lol same as when he used the C-15  Cat engines with 650 hp according to the Silver leaf dash guess fuel is not important to Newell buyers

good luck
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 09:42:41 AM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
uncle ned

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2011, 09:20:07 AM »

I can't understand all this trouble figuring fuel milage. On HUGGY a 4104 with a 6v92 with big injectors and big turbo. In the mountains of NC at around 55 mph I get about 12 to 14 mpg. And when I get on the Interstate at 75 to 80 mph i get around 6 to 8 mpg.

It is easy to figure just take the milage going and the milage coming back and add together.

uncle Ned

PS  i get invited to all rallys in the south east in the summer. Rumor has it that there no mosquitoes around for weeks after I get there
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 09:25:44 AM by uncle ned » Logged

4104's forever
6v92 v730
Huggy Bear
Ericbsc

73 05

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2011, 09:25:50 AM »

We are fairly flat here. We are at the base of the Appalachian mountains. @9 miles from here we start up. It is a 4 mile 7% grade, then hill after hill. With more hills it will fall definitely. My hp is set higher also. My coach is in the 40-41k range. With the higher hp it doesn’t work as hard or so I've been told.
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2011, 09:41:34 AM »

Eagles historically got better mileage than similar sized MCI's and Prevosts.  They were a bit lighter due to the aluminum skin vs stainless and better aerodynamics. As I understand it, Eagle did some wind tunnel tests and slightly tapered the rear ten feet or so of the bus for mileage.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
Ericbsc

73 05

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2011, 10:08:08 AM »

Grin
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 10:17:08 AM by Ericbsc » Logged
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2011, 10:14:08 AM »

Eric,out here in the west we have 3 or 4 % grades that will last for 40+ miles then the 7% grades start lol,you leave Phoenix heading north 120 miles of uphill grades till Flagstaff

good luck

Ericbsc

73 05

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: December 27, 2011, 10:22:21 AM »

Ours are more up 4-7% for a few miles, flat, then up again. We have one 6% on I-77 going into VA. that is 6-8 miles I think. That one burns some fuel!!!!
Bus Busted
My other truck is a Bus!

1984 Eagle 10, 1986 MCI 102A3

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: December 27, 2011, 10:54:29 AM »

Looks like the Silverleaf is what most use for MPG. I'll be getting one very soon, as a tech guy I feel more info is better. When I bought this bus from DemoDriver he had gutted it most of the way. I have since removed the bathroom and some of his conversion to be reinstalled later in a diff spot. He had removed the rolling AC and I removed the roof AC (need to fix leaks before re-installing) Those bathroom walls weighed a bit lol! So I guess I'm at the rolling tin tent weight. We would run down to TN empty and pick up boxes to bring back to IN. Moving my girlfriend up here and it took 3 trips. Other trips were made empty down / empty back ((no holding water, no toad, no trailer) yet), just some music gear and a cooler. I'll have to run by a truck stop and get the rolling weight soon. Really the only driving I do is back and forth from TN, so the math is easy. Have been driving from 9:00 pm to around 3:00-4:00 am to keep away from heavy traffic so not much speed up or slow down. That is until the hills of KY and TN. Now Dickson, TN is 342.68 miles from my house (685.36 round trip).

I first started tracking MPG after the first 1/2 of the first trip because there is a Pilot station right before I get on the highway. Filled until it didn't go back down and hit the road. Drove to IN and unloaded. Then next weekend headed back down and loaded up. Stopped by the Pilot before heading home. Filled til it stayed at the back of the fill neck. Did this about 10 times with some trips only going as far as Nashville then returning home. Fully loaded with boxes, wood tables, ect, filling all bays and 3/4 of inside showed 11.81 MPG average. Trips running empty (tin tent) 12.67 MPG average.

So if you want to get picky you could say "Hey Jon, figure that 11.81 MPG with 1/2 the trip empty and 1/2 of the trip full" sooo "so if you drive both ways full in the future (150gal fresh water, waste tanks, gen, 1/2 a conversion or more, Propane tanks, ect) you should be looking at 9 to 10 MPG at best for now and 6-8 MPG with conversion done and at full weight" Hmmm. Maybe this helps clear things up a little. Guess I'll see...

Like I said, I'll be getting a Silverleaf very soon to find the fuel cost of my add-ons. Bus travel works very well for me. So does saving money on fuel. I have already learned owning a bus is a series of compromises. I'll use my Silverleaf to decide if I really need 200gal of water, or will the 50gal I need for short trips do for now. Oak table and bed, or camper table and cloth head board. Full size house fridge, or small camper fridge. More tire air for better MPG or less air for longer tire life. All I know is that from the posts I have read here, fuel wise, I am starting with a real good platform to build on!
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 10:59:10 AM by Bus Busted » Logged

1985 Eagle waiting repair of burn damage
1984 Eagle Model 10, just started conversion
1986 MCI 102A3, seated when bought, conversion on hold until Eagle is done
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: December 27, 2011, 10:58:06 AM »

A Silver Leaf won't work on a MUI engine it has to be a electronic controlled  engines for the MUI engines you use a flow meter on the supply and return lines fwiw

Bus Busted
My other truck is a Bus!

1984 Eagle 10, 1986 MCI 102A3

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: December 27, 2011, 11:06:12 AM »

Thanks for the heads up. So is there a good data sys out there for MUI?

1985 Eagle waiting repair of burn damage
1984 Eagle Model 10, just started conversion
1986 MCI 102A3, seated when bought, conversion on hold until Eagle is done
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: December 27, 2011, 11:12:24 AM »

They have the Floscan system but why waste 1200 to 1500 bucks just keep on trucking you are doing ok with your mileage after all you pay the bill we don't and you know what it costs

bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: December 27, 2011, 11:17:37 AM »

You are already using it!   Wink

Stick to judge depth of fuel, some way to guess the true mileage (I know my hub meter ain't close to accurate...) and more than anything else - repeatability.  You may not be able to get miles per gallons to scientific accuracy, but you should  be able to do buckets per furlong repeatably, and that will let you measure change...  

Grin

Brian (I personally use days per fill-up to measure fuel usage...my bus has been very economical lately, around 400 days per 3/4 fill...   Roll Eyes  )

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: