Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 23, 2014, 07:27:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help, Stranded in Vegas. Alternator pully no longer connected to motor  (Read 3909 times)
viento1

Ignore
« on: December 20, 2011, 04:26:38 PM »

Hey guys and gals,

Me, 4 kids and my wife are on our way to Universal Studios and we are now stranded at the Gold Strike Hotel about 20minutes from Vegas.

My "not gen" light came on. On further investigatin I noticed the pullly to the 8V71 has stripped off (keeping with the vegas theme). I am not sure how it was attached but key way on the shaft is still recognizable, the bolt? on the end, if it is a bolt is now rounded off.

The keyway on the pully is barely visable and severly damaged.

I am going to purchase a US phone in the next half hour to help facilitate my getting back on the road. I will also check this thread in an hour or so.

Thank you in advance for any and all suggestions.

I do have a genset and can charge the coach battery while driving. I can make it to LA. I have no OTR heat so I need to repair before going back to Canada.

Ok, it's time to go on another road trip.
www.randalclark.com
MC5
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2011, 04:45:02 PM »

I'm pretty sure you'll be able to find help between Vegas and LA.

I'm sure Don Fairchild in Bakersfield could help. (detour would add 107 miles. Gold Strike to Universal is 248 and a side trip to Bakersfield would make it 355)

Clifford is on the AZ-CA border near Bullhead City, but I don't think he's home right now. (gone for the holidays if I am correct)

And I know TomC is in LA and there are some others near too!

Van is near you now in Vegas.

And there is B & B Coach in Vegas too.

Plus I'm sure there are others I'm not aware of.
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2011, 04:50:02 PM »

Randy, which pulley are you talking about? the one on the alternator or the one on the engine?

1968 MCI 5A with 8V71 and Allison MT644 transmission.  Western USA
viento1

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2011, 05:21:12 PM »

Hi Ed, It is the pully on the Engine - can I have yours  Smiley

I called some of the locals and I would probably have some luck here in Vegas (2 stroke Pete??) but I have a bus full of kids ready to take on LA. I will limp to LA in hopes that someone can help us on the coast.

The Detroit guys wanted to know the serial number off the Engine but was unsure of where it is stamped on the block.... anyone know?

www.randalclark.com
MC5
Van
Billy Van Hagen

89' Silver Eagle 15/40 6V92MUI Boulder City,NV

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2011, 05:56:35 PM »

I just spoke to Randy ( saddle up gave me a call about the break down) He said the pulley (engine) was toast and the bolt head was rounded off. He needs a pulley so I put him in touch with the Yoda' as he might have the one needed.

If you are not living on the edge, then you're takin' up too much space!!!
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2011, 06:21:24 PM »

I just spoke to Randy ( saddle up gave me a call about the break down) He said the pulley (engine) was toast and the bolt head was rounded off. He needs a pulley so I put him in touch with the Yoda' as he might have the one needed.

Good deal Van.
I saw where Yoda had posted he was in Scotsdale so I figured he might be gone for the holidays.

Glad your on top of it!

BTW please PM me your # either here or on FB so I'll have access to call you when I have a Lost Wages question or concern.
(not sure if you know it or not but I get calls from all over asking "hey I got this going on, what do I do, or who do I call in BFE.....)

It's always nice to have a data base to confer with when I'm at a loss as to who, where & what in a certain area.
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2011, 06:48:56 PM »

How about run the generator for your DC and bypass the no gen relay so the heat will work, and carry on?

Enjoy the rest of the trip and fix it at your leisure when you get home?

There are a number of simple ways to bypass the relay, it all depends which bit of changed procedure you want to follow.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
Van
Billy Van Hagen

89' Silver Eagle 15/40 6V92MUI Boulder City,NV

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2011, 07:18:22 PM »

BW Capital Idea, that can get them to where the replacement pulley can be obtained reasonably instead of the hyway robbery price Wink
Bk will do, been so dang busy today, usually my spidey senses start tingling when a bus breaks down in the area LOL! Grin
 Randy give me a ring if I can be of further assist. Wink

If you are not living on the edge, then you're takin' up too much space!!!
azdieselman

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2011, 07:39:14 PM »

If you can make it to Phoenix, I can fix you up.

1980 Mod 10
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2011, 04:33:23 AM »

I spoke with Randy he needs the lower drive assembly on the back of a 8v71 like a the MCI used up till and used on some MCI 8 with a 6 or 7 inch pulley the whole assembly would be a easier fix for him.

I have several of the top mount both front and rear but not the lower,he has Don's cell number like Allstate he is in good hands now lol

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2011, 04:50:16 AM »

Good news is that assembly bolts on to the right hand cam drive position so the back of the engine doesn't have to be disassembled. It uses the exact same drive plate and splined adaptor as the compressor drive does.  The pulley is a four belt, and is held on to the shaft with a taper collar that engages the key on the shaft and is clamped tight by the nut.  I lost the pulley on the alternator side on my last long trip and we ran close to a thousand miles on the batteries, we just stopped and charged them at night once.  If you think about it, after the engine is running you don't need electricity except for lights and fans, so if you don't need to run those you can run about forever with no alternator.

Good luck!

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
viento1

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2011, 05:46:49 PM »

Thank you for all of your replies. I looked thru the schematic and I think I figured out how to bypass the relay.
Kids had a great time I in universal studios.  Heading to San Diego.  Can someone please pm me dons phone number and address.  The one I have Is not working. 

Thanks again everyone

www.randalclark.com
MC5
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2011, 05:54:22 PM »

This is the one I use Randy 1-661-391-4520 

good luck

luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2011, 06:03:07 PM »

Randy you can get the drive from  (Pedco) Iornman in Santa Fe Springs about 100 miles from you 1-562-944-3199 if you don't reach Don he should be around the shop he was working on TomC's bus last week

good luck
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 06:10:07 PM by luvrbus » Logged

viento1

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2011, 10:16:36 PM »

Hi again,

I just pulled in to Santa Fe and will be at the shop in the morning to talk with Pedco to pick up some parts. Maybe I will just weld the old pully onto the shaft for now...

www.randalclark.com
MC5
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: