Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 22, 2014, 07:22:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not turn yellow, get musty, dusty, and mildewed or fade.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tires with Nitrogen  (Read 3486 times)
wg4t50

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2011, 06:41:47 PM »

I think it might be simpler to use Helium instead of Nitrogen, there might be many advantages to the Helium use.  Beside the improved ride, extended tire mileage, self balancing, improves the toe in diffrerencs, improves traction on ice, improved fuel mileage and if you ever get caught on the scales, you would have an advantage.  I am sure there are other biggie advantages ?  Grin

MCI7 20+ Yrs
Foretravel w/ISM500
WG4T CW for over 50 wpm for ever.
Central Virginia
Van
Billy Van Hagen

89' Silver Eagle 15/40 6V92MUI Boulder City,NV

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2011, 08:03:40 PM »

Maybe Nitrous, Figure if you can keep those lil' o2 buggers happy they might stay in longer lol! Grin 9 outta 10 dentist' would approve I'm sure. Grin

If you are not living on the edge, then you're takin' up too much space!!!
JWallin

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2011, 01:42:49 AM »

Helium, Really?  With the smallest molecule on the periodic table, helium is used to test high vacuum systems for leaks because it migrates easily. If you put it in your tires they will stay inflated about as long as a kids helium filled balloon. As oxygen and nitrogen are neighbors on the periodic chart there is really no benefit in using one over the other for inflation. And since the "air" coming out of your compressor is about 83% nitrogen the only major difference is the money that leaves your wallet and ends up in the nitrogen providers instead.
brando4905

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2011, 05:31:02 AM »

Really surprised Nick hasn't chimed in yet. I worked in the HVAC field for almost 10yrs, and anytime we did a repair that warranted opening the refrigeration side of a system, after the fix the lines were charged back up with Nitrogen and left over night. We did this to check for leaks, as the nitrogen pressure would remain constant with temp change. If gauges still read same as the day before, all was well.

Really surprised to hear that all gases pressure change with temp.  Huh

1980 GMC H8H-649  8V71/V730 Marion,NC

"The highway is for gamblers, better use your sense" -Dylan
Nusa

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2011, 09:45:47 AM »

Actually, Hydrogen is the smallest molecule on the periodic table. Helium would the the smallest molecule of the inert gasses. And yes, both of those gasses have issues with longer-term storage as they will slowly leak right through the walls of whatever container they're in. Hydrogen storage issues are a main reason hydrogen powered vehicles haven't become commercially viable.

Nitrogen is not technically an inert gas, but it is very close to inert and CHEAP to produce, so it gets used in many applications on a cost basis alone.
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2011, 08:28:54 PM »

Nitrogen is dry & doesn't oxidize rubber. That is something that will improve the life of your tires.

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: