Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 30, 2014, 06:16:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: By clicking on any ad, a hotlink takes you directly to the advertiserís website.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where is the air drier for an Eagle 01 located?  (Read 1074 times)
Dreamscape

« on: October 21, 2006, 07:21:12 AM »

Joined last week and have found this site to be ourstanding!
I have a 1968 Eagle 01, #7443. I cannot find any information on the location of the compressed air drier. I know it must be somplace, I hope.
Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
Paul
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2006, 09:17:04 AM »

First off, do you know that you have an air dryer?  With the engine running and building up air pressure, when the air pressure gets up to its' max, when the air compressor shuts off you'll hear a definite sharp release of air pressure-then you do have an air dryer.  If when the air pressure gets up to the point that when the air compressor shuts off and you don't hear anything, you don't have an air dryer.  My guess with buses many times being built differently year to year, the easiest method would be to just follow the pressure line out of the air compressor since the air dryer will be between the air compressor and the first or wet air tank.  The air compressor is gear driven off the back of the engine (facing forward on a bus) and usually is a two cylinder affair.  Maybe Eagle did have a specific spot for the air dryer and someone I'm sure will tell you.  Even with the air dryer, you should try draining the air tanks at least once a week.  If you don't have an air dryer, that should be done everyday of driving at the end of the day to keep the water out of the tank as much as possible.  If you don't have an air dryer, I highly recommend you put one on.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Dallas

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2006, 10:14:04 AM »

Paul,

Along with what Tom said, since your Eagle was built in 1968 it probably didn't come with an air dryer. Air Dryers didn't really become common until the mid to late 70's.

If it does have an air dryer, and provided you can find it, I would see if I could find out what kind it is, and what model. Then get an overhaul kit and replace the dessicant cartridge inside of it.

IHTH,

Dallas
Connel
Eagle 05 w/Ser60 & HD4060PR

Day Eagle landed & before total rebuild.

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2006, 01:59:59 PM »

Paul,

Welcome aboard!  You will find this board very valuable and it's membership very helpful.

Connel

Central Oklahoma

Refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.
pete81eaglefanasty

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2006, 05:24:56 PM »

Hi & welcome

You will enjoy this board, there are a lot of smart and educated people that will help you along as time goes bye, Have fun and keep on bussing.

Pete

fantasy

WHAT EVER YOU DO, OR TO WHO YOU DO IT TOO, DO IT WITH A SMILE, IT MAKES IT LEGAL THAT WAY.
Dreamscape

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2006, 08:03:29 AM »

First of all, Thanks for the information.
There is no air dryer on my coach. I can't imagine compressed air without one. Is there a particular model that would work best? I checked eBay and found a couple available but unsure of type, style etc. to purchase.
DD8v71 with standard trans.

Paul
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2006, 09:15:19 AM »

Bendix AD-9 or the AD-IP are very popular.  The AD-9 has been around for years, the only real dissadvantage is that you have to rebuild it about every 3-5 years, which involves taking the unit off, taking it apart, cleaning it, install new O rings, desicant charge, reassemble and reinstall it.  The AD-IP is similar, except it has a spin on element with less O rings (really non to replace) and is the current model being used on new trucks (although you can get both). On Freightliners, the AD-IP is built into the wet tank so the normal lines going and coming from the dryer are eliminated.  Please get one installed.  Since a bus conversion sits for sometimes weeks on end, the moisture in a non air dryer system can rust solid some of the moving parts-not good!  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2006, 03:49:41 PM »

best air dryer in the world......draining your air tanks after daily use.

Homegrowndiesel
Vegetable oil, Rudolf Diesel's original fuel

73-05 Eagle

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2006, 07:32:07 PM »

Wow 38 years without an air dryer. I think they must have designed a pretty good ping tank and air system. My 73 Eagle had an AD-9 installed sometime along the way. Can't hurt to install one.

Aerodynamic Eagle & MCI 102a3
Dreamscape

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2006, 05:26:37 PM »

I will definately install one. Thanks for the advice regarding which one to install.  Grin

Now I must go look and see how the compressor is plumbed so I can fit one in.

Paul
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: