Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 31, 2014, 04:42:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 500 Members as of May 5th, 2006.  Smiley  3,499 Members as of October 21, 2012 Cheesy

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Will an MCI bus act as a faraday cage?  (Read 2507 times)
Oregonconversion

Ignore
« on: December 30, 2011, 02:07:48 AM »

Does anyone know if a bus will act as a faraday cage for protecting electronics from an EMP or solar storm?

Im guessing no, because of the windows. I am just looking for some thoughts about this topic.

http://au.ibtimes.com/articles/274395/20111230/solar-storm-expected-worsen-2012.htm

1977 MC8
8V92 HT740
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2011, 05:08:37 AM »

The windows probably help - at least, Faraday cages are usually built of mesh rather than with solid walls. Inside a car (or a bus) is a very good place to be in a lightning storm - but some kind of mythical EMP strike? Who knows. Find a survivalist wearing a tin foil hat and ask him. (Not meaning to be flippant, but I think a magnetic storm in the atmosphere and an Electromagnetic Pulse hitting something like a bus are two fundamentally different things).

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
Oregonconversion

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2011, 09:18:15 AM »

Sure they are different , but can be protected the same way.

1977 MC8
8V92 HT740
paulrobie

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2011, 10:33:33 AM »

The windows probably help - at least, Faraday cages are usually built of mesh rather than with solid walls. Inside a car (or a bus) is a very good place to be in a lightning storm - but some kind of mythical EMP strike? Who knows. Find a survivalist wearing a tin foil hat and ask him. (Not meaning to be flippant, but I think a magnetic storm in the atmosphere and an Electromagnetic Pulse hitting something like a bus are two fundamentally different things).

Jeremy

Sooooo... survivalists wear tin foil hats? Interesting.

Organization is the sign of a sick mind..
1981 MCI - MC 9
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2011, 10:52:17 AM »

Walter's Survival Tips - Tin Foil Hats

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
HB of CJ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2011, 12:31:09 PM »

Your coach as a Faraday cage?  Dunno. Probably not.  As an EMP repeller--resister?  Nope.  The very short, very powerful spike (thousands of times worserer than a lightning strike) will get in thru the windows and stuff.  As a CME resister?  Probably to some degree---effectiveness unknown.  Sosss...except for all the dunnos, nopes, worserers and unknowns....everything is hunky-dorry.  HB of CJ (old coot) Smiley Smiley Smiley
Kwajdiver
MCI-9 "Kwaj Diver"

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2011, 12:56:13 PM »

The widows would have to be covered with a fine metal mesh or perforated sheet metal. All holes would have to be smaller than radiation's wavelength that you are trying to protect from.  Oh yes!  A really good grounding system is a must.

You would want an environment devoid of electromagnetic interference such as we use within a screen room. Screen rooms are design to block out all external electromagnetic fields and are grounded to dissipate any electric currents.

Sooo, do you wish to make your bus a large screen room?

Bill

Auburndale, Florida
MCI-9
V-6-92 Detroit, Allison 5 spd auto
Kwajalein Atoll, RMI
Lee Bradley

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2011, 01:07:28 PM »

A Faraday suit in action.

Tesla Coil Show
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2011, 01:16:11 PM »

Back in the early days of my career I worked with the government and military in Ottawa setting up a Tempest secure communications room.  From what I recall the apertures in the mesh need to be of a particular size to control the frequency range you are worried about, so no, I don't think a bus will be a great faraday cage.  Does your cell phone work inside the bus?  if it does, the bus is pretty leaky.

Musicians love EMP's.  The reason high quality vacuum tubes are still available for us to run in our vintage blackface Fenders is that tubes are highly resistant to EMP.  The tubes, for the paranoid amoung us, come from Russia...

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
Nusa

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2011, 05:43:44 PM »

Most of you already own a small Faraday cage, more commonly known as the "Microwave". If you were to place your cell phone inside the microwave, your phone would have no signal. I'd unplug the microwave for that experiment, as accidentally turning it on will destroy the phone.
chev49

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2011, 08:48:53 AM »

guess from the digresssssion in this post that an emp strike while being in the bus will turn us into microwave popcorn.. Grin

If you want someone to hold your hand, join a union.
Union with Christ is the best one...
gcyeaw

1983 Bluebird Forward Control

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2012, 01:07:10 PM »

As far as the original question, "Would my bus act as a Faraday cage"--I'd be shocked if it didn't

Gardner
1983 Bluebird FC.
Nusa

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2012, 02:57:04 PM »

As far as the original question, "Would my bus act as a Faraday cage"--I'd be shocked if it didn't

No, it will give minimal protection, unless you have proper metallic screening on all the openings, such as windows, vents, and other openings to the areas needing protection.

Humans don't need EMP protection, unless they depend on life-support electronics. Ditto for drivetrains -- pre-electronic ones likely need no protection. It's usually easier to just shield the electronics themselves, if they're valuable enough or important enough to justify the effort. It's often cheaper to just carry backups of any truly essential devices in closed metal containers.

The younger generations would disagree, but I wouldn't classify a phone as essential. There's not much point in having a phone survive an event that destroys all the cell-phone towers.

Here's a good overview page on the subject:
http://www.doh.wa.gov/ehp/rp/factsheets/factsheets-htm/fs41elecpuls.htm

buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2012, 04:47:56 PM »

I liked the play on words!

shocked.... hahahahaha

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
Nusa

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2012, 08:12:58 PM »

Hah, I have to admit I missed the joke there.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: